AMOLED still 1080p

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Resolution: 1080P Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) 401ppi

That is too bad! I notice the fussy edges on Oneplus' text on their display. I was holding out hoping they improved PPI but unfortunately not.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's one thing I didn't like about the 3T. Hopefully this is a much better quality display compared to 3T even though it's 1080p.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's a slightly improved panel from the 3T.

Honestly, I'm disappointed. Not because I'm a specnut but because 1080p PenTile is pretty much what I'd call fine for casual use, nothing more.

It's not that it's a bad panel. It's just nothing special.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
It's not that it's a bad panel. It's just nothing special.

Yeah I've got a Macbook Pro, an iPhone 6S and a Note 5 meaning I work with excellent displays. I looked at the Oneplus 3 screen and felt like I needed glasses because the edges of the text is fuzzy. I was going to buy the 5 but the screen killed it for me.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a displayphile, so I'm glad to see the lower res screen stay. Maybe I'll notice a difference from the quad HD displays I've been using for 3 years, but I'll take that trade for better performance and battery life.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a displayphile, so I'm glad to see the lower res screen stay. Maybe I'll notice a difference from the quad HD displays I've been using for 3 years, but I'll take that trade for better performance and battery life.
TBH, the current QHD OLEDs have negligible power consumption increases over a FHD OLED. I've used the newer phones with QHD OLED panels alongside others with FHD OLEDs and I never found the FHD one to have a significant increase in battery life.

Same goes with performance as newer chipsets are in fact designed for these higher resolutions.

Back in 2014, we would say that the decision to stick with 1080p was justified as processors were still not capable of driving higher-resolutions without significant amounts of strain and displays running at a higher resolution needed more power, but we've come a ways since then. The cost to the user-experience of a higher-resolution display has mostly been ironed out at this point.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It still has better PPI than Retina displays.
Not entirely.

Its effective resolution is actually similar to that on the regular iPhone 7, as mentioned by Anandtech on the OnePlus 3 review;

"When you consider the effective resolution of red and blue on the OnePlus 3, you're really dealing with a display that is roughly equivalent to the iPhone 6s in chroma resolution, except on a 5.5" display instead of a 4.7" one. The resolution for green is equivalent to a 1080p display, and subpixel rendering is what allows you to make the claim that it's still a 1080p display, but for everything except pure green your effective resolution is going to be lower. In addition to that, the uneven size and spacing of the subpixels, along with their diamond pattern, makes them less than optimal for rendering the latin alphabet which contains many vertical lines. This kind of screen door effect has long been noticed on PenTile displays, and for the most part the push for 1440p AMOLED panels has mitigated those complaints.
On the OnePlus 3 it's pretty obvious that text is rendered less clearly than the iPhone 6s, which has a pixel density of only 326ppi, well below that of flagship Android devices. With the OnePlus One and OnePlus 2 for comparison it's completely obvious that the OnePlus 3 has a lower effective resolution, with text exhibiting distracting artifacts, and solid patterns that are red, blue, or white having a crosshatch pattern that simply isn't visible on OnePlus's older smartphones. I completely agreed with OnePlus's choice of 1080p on their past smartphones, but saying that there's no benefit to going higher on a PenTile AMOLED display is simply false, and there's no getting around the fact that the OnePlus 3 has a lower effective resolution than its predecessors. "

The OnePlus 5 uses a similar panel, albeit slightly improved in terms of calibration.

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
but don't they say that the QHD of the Galaxy S8 uses more battery than FHD, they give the option to lower the screen to save some battery, so... ?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
but don't they say that the QHD of the Galaxy S8 uses more battery than FHD, they give the option to lower the screen to save some battery, so... ?
Actually, no.

You only see battery savings by going all the way down to 720p. The battery drain difference between the S8 in FHD and QHD is pretty much negligible.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Having a 1440p panel would obviously be a great addition and welcomed but for the average user (no VR), I think 1080p is perfect. 😃 Also, having a lower rez screen helps with battery life (might not be huge but still something) and I'm all for a longer lasting battery.

I think we can say with absolute certainty that the OnePlus 6 will have a QHD display with maybe even some water resistance.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Quick question: Is this display same as in Honor 8? Asking for a comparison as I do have Honor 8 with me that I can compare personally.

coase

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
As someone in need of a new phone in a month or so, I'm so glad they did this. I don't find much difference between screen qualities and I'd rather they stuck with lower resolution that uses less battery power.

Heck, I have both a Surface Pro 4 and a Galaxy Tab A. The latter has a much worse screen than the SP4 but it's not a hardship for me to bounce back and forth between the two. In comparison, the differences between modern phone screens is infinitesimal to me. I know others don't agree, but I just want to note that there are those of us out there who don't need state of the art everything.

But I value the fast response time, alert button, a decent camera with good manual controls, large storage, no bloat OS, and low price.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty