Why no Verizon support on the OnePlusOne??

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
The big players can afford to gamble and dabble. I'm no confident of OnePlus' ability to do that.

The Note III
From my previous post that you just quoted

"The only reason this is GSM only is it's a company who can't afford to make multiple variants and wants to operate on multiple continents"

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The only reason this is GSM only is it's a company who can't afford to make multiple variants and wants to operate on multiple continents.

I find it interesting that the OnePlus One has support for the 1700/2100 bands, which correspond to T-Mobile service. T-Mobile has fewer subscribers than Verizon, but OnePlus is willing to support their network.

Perhaps in the future there will be a combination GSM/CDMA radio that would include compatibility for Verizon. The closest I've seen is the radio in the Nexus 5, but the CDMA side only supports Sprint for the most part.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I find it interesting that the OnePlus One has support for the 1700/2100 bands, which correspond to T-Mobile service. T-Mobile has fewer subscribers than Verizon, but OnePlus is willing to support their network.

Perhaps in the future there will be a combination GSM/CDMA radio that would include compatibility for Verizon. The closest I've seen is the radio in the Nexus 5, but the CDMA side only supports Sprint for the most part.

One Plus did not support TMO. They made a GSM phone and TMO just happens to support GSM. Same as ATT. ATT has been great for unlocked GSM phones. I've had the nexus s, nexus 4, nexus 5, Xperia Z2, an the international Galaxy Note before it was released here.

For being along on an island, Verizon has done pretty well getting devices for their customers. They have all the flagships, just not the flagship killer!

Posted via my OnePlus One!

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon iPhone for work. Sometimes I travel to Europe for work and we are supposed to get signed up for the international plans etc. I find it so much easier to get a SIM card at the airport and pop it into my nexus 5 or now my 1+1 and not skip a beat.

According to this article, your Verizon iPhone probably already has an unlocked SIM card slot:

Macworld - How to avoid big international iPhone data charges (article link here)

The author of the article was able to use a prepaid SIM card from Three (a mobile phone company) in Ireland with his Verizon iPhone.

jalabi99

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
It seems like they are missing a huge market by not having the phone work on Verizon. I probably would have gotten one if it could work, but with the great coverage I get and my good plan I'm not willing to leave big red.

Because Verizon foolishly uses a networking system (CDMA) that is used by only two other countries: Japan, and North Korea. Everyone else in the world that has a lick of sense uses GSM instead. That's why OnePlus One is a GSM phone, and that's the primary reason why the OnePlus One is not and will not be available on Verizon.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Verizon likes to keep people on postpaid service because it's more profitable. Even though some of their phones work on other carriers, I think they like to lock people into contracts with subsidized phones. They aren't really friendly to phones you can buy from the manufacturer and take anywhere (except for iPhone).

I believe all the carriers are like this to some extent but they're waking up to the fact that prepaid is becoming a strong market segment (but Verizon still lags behind the others on this).

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Verizon likes to keep people on postpaid service because it's more profitable.

People are willing to pay for coverage and reliability.

I think the issue of Verizon compatibility wouldn't be a problem if the other carriers provided better coverage. For example, if you get excellent T-Mobile coverage where you live and work, then great, switch to T-Mobile and put the OnePlus One on their network.

The issue comes when there is no reliable carrier except for Verizon, which is why people ask if phones like the OnePlus One will work on the Verizon network. What's the point of switching to some other company if you can't make calls, send texts, or get data on your phone?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree, which is why it's nice that PagePlus and Selectel are supposed to be offering LTE soon. They work on Verizon towers but are less expensive. Typically though they've offered poor phone choices.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree, which is why it's nice that PagePlus and Selectel are supposed to be offering LTE soon. They work on Verizon towers but are less expensive. Typically though they've offered poor phone choices.

I'm curious how any phone gets onto Verizon's network. Do the phone manufacturers go to Verizon and negotiate which phones can and cannot be on the network? Does Verizon seek out the manufacturers? Does Verizon survey its customers to see which phones they would like?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious how any phone gets onto Verizon's network. Do the phone manufacturers go to Verizon and negotiate which phones can and cannot be on the network? Does Verizon seek out the manufacturers? Does Verizon survey its customers to see which phones they would like?

I have no idea, but I'll bet the last possibility isn't even considered. They're very irritating with the phone restrictions on MVNOs and even postpaid with no Nexuses or other alternative phones.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea, but I'll bet the last possibility isn't even considered. They're very irritating with the phone restrictions on MVNOs and even postpaid with no Nexuses or other alternative phones.

However, we can see Verizon responding to market demand. For example, Verizon did not have the iPhone initially. After overwhelming demand, Verizon added the iPhone to its lineup. So there is a point where things can change.

While it is a little troubling that there is no Nexus phone (just the Nexus 7 tablet) on Verizon, the OnePlus One is not a Nexus device. As to alternative phones, Verizon does offer a few from Nokia. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but I would think the OnePlus One would be more popular than the Nokia Lumia Icon, for example.

dragonking1

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
However, we can see Verizon responding to market demand. For example, Verizon did not have the iPhone initially. After overwhelming demand, Verizon added the iPhone to its lineup. So there is a point where things can change.

While it is a little troubling that there is no Nexus phone (just the Nexus 7 tablet) on Verizon, the OnePlus One is not a Nexus device. As to alternative phones, Verizon does offer a few from Nokia. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but I would think the OnePlus One would be more popular than the Nokia Lumia Icon, for example.

I don't see OnePlus making another model specifically for Verizon, but the One should work on Verizon LTE in an XLTE area.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I'm skeptical of the ability of OnePlus to be able to manufacture enough phones as Verizon (or other major carrier) might request at once. So maybe for now it's just as well that Verizon has no clue about them. Also, would postpaid customers really be the target customers for the OPO? I don't think so.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm skeptical of the ability of OnePlus to be able to manufacture enough phones as Verizon (or other major carrier) might request at once. So maybe for now it's just as well that Verizon has no clue about them. Also, would postpaid customers really be the target customers for the OPO? I don't think so.

I wonder how many phones Verizon would need up front.

You can be a postpaid customer and use the OnePlus One. "Postpaid" just refers to how you pay your bill.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes but one of the main features of the OPO is it's carrier unlocked.

It's interesting that you say that when this is Verizon's policy.

Device Unlocking Policy -- Verizon (website link here)

Excerpts:

"We do not lock most phones or tablets that are activated with our postpay service, either during or after the term of your service contract or Edge installment sales agreement."

"We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier."

"We do not lock our 3G devices, other than our Global Ready 3G phones, and the simple code to program such 3G devices for use with another carrier is either '000000' or '123456.'"

"We do not lock our Prepaid devices, other than our Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones, and the simple code to program such Prepaid devices for use with another carrier is either '000000' or '123456.'"