One Plus "Smash your Phone" Contest ,,, Bad Idea

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well if there has even been a stupid marketing decision on a way to make a contest for 100 chances to get the new smartphone then One Plus has found it. They have ticked off so many many potential people that want to buy the One Plus with this "Smash Your Smartphone" promotion. First of all just about all the phones they will accept to enter the contest are high quality expensive smartphones. Many people have already destroyed their phones but didn't get an one of the 100 invites. Even some of the people that got invites destroyed their expensive smartphone only to learn they jumped the gun since the One won't ship till sometime in May. YouTube is filling up with people trying to win the contest. Check out the video in this one if you think Gorilla Glass is easy to break.

Warning: You really shouldn?t smash your phone for a OnePlus One just yet

Now the One Plus Web site that had been very successful in using social media to promote this new phone looks like KMart on Black Friday with a Blue Light Special war for a limited supply. This site is having melt down issues. OnePlus One - OnePlus Forums

LOL, I had forgot HTC also has a phone called the One. So this guy destroyed his smartphone thinks the contest is for an HTC One M8 phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTxBQKg0Nc

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
HTC One M7

This guy didn't read the rules but took the battery out for safety. Got to love the part where he ties to use his teeth to tear it apart when it wouldn't break.

Last edited:

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
No invites have been sent out so it's just a bunch of morons that don't know how to read smashing their phones early. They deserve not getting jack. I've said it in several other places on here and on Facebook, G+, I will smash my LG G2 if picked, simply because it's scratched up, doesn't get LTE, and would only get me around $175 locally. To each their own. Just because some people don't like the contest, doesn't mean every one feels the same way. Granted, I wouldn't smash my 5s, or if I had one of the other higher priced phones I wouldn't smash it. Some people look at the risk/reward thing differently than others. If I'm picked, the reward outweighs anything else I could have happen with the G2 i'll smash.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It’s worth noting that only the following smartphones are eligible for the Phone Smash program cost a lot more than the One Plus One:

Apple: iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s
BlackBerry: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Z30
HTC: HTC One (M7), HTC One (M8) HTC One max
LG: LG G2, LG G2 Pro, LG G Flex, LG Nexus 5
Motorola: Motorola Moto X
Nokia: Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Lumia 1520, Nokia Lumia 925, Nokia Lumia 920
Samsung: Samsung Galaxy Note II, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S III, Samsung Galaxy S 4, Samsung Galaxy S5
Sony: Sony Xperia Z, Sony Xperia Z1, Sony Xperia Z2, Sony Xperia Z Ultra

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Im not saying people should or shouldnt participate in the contest but for those that jumped the gun, its called reading. It says it explicitly on the website to wait, you have to fill out that form. If you get picked they will let you know. Then you can break it.

That being said, I filled in about half the form and paused, thought about it and changed my mind. I have a very good condition Galaxy Note 2, its served me well and would likely last another couple years. So after thinking about it I decided that one, I really couldnt think of a creative way to smash the thing and two I just really didn't want to. I cant stand those, break my brand new electronics videos....so eff it. No thanks.

rjl2

May 4, 2010
Visit site
According to OnePlus over 100,000 people signed up. Crazy if you ask me.

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
According to OnePlus over 100,000 people signed up. Crazy if you ask me.

I signed up because I have a two year old slightly cracked screen GS3 I am not using and can't get more than $100 - 150 for it even if I tried.... I wouldn't dare smash my Nexus 5 for one... or any of the other high end phones on their list.... Not if it were my daily driver... That is totally insane.... Specially when no one has a clue what your really getting????? Tip Top Specs/Hardware mean little if the phone gets almost no long term support/updates..... from the hardware side it should be a great device for at LEAST 3 - 6 months.... and then what????

but I'll smash this old GS3... heck if they opened up preorders I'd buy the 64 gig black one to play with....