I have a OnePlus One - ask me about it!

goelz83

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to android, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. What's the big deal about this phone?

It's a unlocked smartphone that comes with 64GB of internal memory and high-end specs for $350. A comparable device from Samsung or Apple would cost an extra $400-$500 .

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
That's a shame about the gestures. They sound like exactly what I want, so hopefully an update could dial back the sensitivity a little.

Nice shot btw. How have you found the camera so far? On my Nexus 4, about half the pics I take get deleted because the camera was to slow to get the right shot. Any early opinions on this one?

Camera seems fine so far, but I haven't used it long enough to comment on anything but shots in good light, which look fine. Definitely better than the Nexus 4 ;) .

Is the cold boot time faster than the Nexus 5 boot time? I saw a video that showed off the hibernate feature but I was wondering how fast it is to boot when fully off.

How often are you shutting off your phone? Doesn't seem to take any shorter or longer than any other modern phone. Boots quickly.

In your opinion.. is the camera quality comparable or better to say the GS5 or Xperia Z2?

Haven't used an Xperia Z2 and haven't taken enough shots to compare to the GS5. Right now I can say the hardware is likely capable of doing what the GS5 can do — we'll see how it stacks up after I take a couple hundred pictures.

If you had to describe the 'baby skin' back plates feel, how would you?

Not sure about this whole baby skin thing, but the back cover is hard and has a very subtle soft touch feel to it. Definitely not enough to be grippy, but enough so that it doesn't feel like your standard slippery fingerprint magnet plastic. It feels solid.

I'm new to android, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. What's the big deal about this phone?

Not sure. People seem to have given into the hype put out by the manufacturer and think it can be an amazing phone at an amazing price. We're looking to find out if that's true or not.

How much of the 16GB is available for the user? I kind of remember that Samsung phones almost use half of the 16GB just for their own bloatware customization.

Answered earlier. I didn't record exactly how much was available after a factory reset, but it was somewhere north of 11GB. After installing lots of apps, down to 9.5GB.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Does it feel like a phone you would stay with, or does it leave you wanting to get back to some other model that is presently out?

Beausym

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
What type of audio apps are preloaded, other than Google Play Music? Is CM's DSP manager or something comparable there, or should we wait for root and install something like Viper?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

shlk7

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
On the OnePlus forums, it mentioned the "always listening" feature works with the hotword "hey Snapdragon" or "hey Oneplus". Can you give that a try?
Is it responsive? (not expecting it to be a moto x, but atleast 3 out 5 times works for me)

Beausym

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
And finally, you mentioned the battery heated up when charged. Was this any cause for concern? And what were charging times like?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Does it feel like a phone you would stay with, or does it leave you wanting to get back to some other model that is presently out?

I can say right now it's likely too big for me to say I would stay with it. But we'll see how i feel after I "get used to it."

What type of audio apps are preloaded, other than Google Play Music? Is CM's DSP manager or something comparable there, or should we wait for root and install something like Viper?

There's AudioFX, an EQ manager, which links to an area in the settings. Never been much of an EQ tweaking kind of person, but it seems useful.

Also, what type of "quick start" guide comes in the box?

I don't have a retail unit and so no box, guides or cables here.

Did I miss an unboxing?

Read ^^

Would you recommend AT&T or T Mobile, given the band compatiblity quirks?

Quirks? It has all of the proper bands for AT&T and T-Mobile.

On the OnePlus forums, it mentioned the "always listening" feature works with the hotword "hey Snapdragon" or "hey Oneplus". Can you give that a try?
Is it responsive? (not expecting it to be a moto x, but atleast 3 out 5 times works for me)

Mine is set up and has me train it to "Hey snapdragon." I trained it and it doesn't seem to listen. Trying to figure out why.

And finally, you mentioned the battery heated up when charged. Was this any cause for concern? And what were charging times like?

Batteries get hot when they charge. Every phone does. No concerns here, and I don't expect there to be. It charges quickly just like any other phone when you put it on a 2A charger. Most of charging time nowadays will be tied to what amperage charger you put it on.

S_C_B

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Please tell me the sim slot is on the side of the phone and not under the back cover. I shan't ruin another spring loaded sim slot due to an adaptor!!

Posted via Android Central App

jesse_h

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a unlocked smartphone that comes with 64GB of internal memory and high-end specs for $350. A comparable device from Samsung or Apple would cost an extra $400-$500 .

That's a pretty impressive price, if the performance can match the high-end specs. Who manufactures it?

Kylealanr

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I know that it supports all of the LTE bands for AT&T, but have you had to mess with the APN settings?

Everytime I use a custom ROM like on my Nexus 5 I have to enter the proper APNs manually when I set it up, just wondering if this version of CM is the same.

someonesim

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Would like to know about camera's image quality, Image Stabilization Plus technology, new CyanogenMod camera apps. Also please do compare battery life of OnePlus One with other close competitor like Note3, Find 7 and Nexus 5.