[AIO] ROMTools v2.3.1 (ex-recoveryflasher) Tons of new features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerc

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I flashed my phone with another rom. If I want to try out another rom do i Just flash that rom or do I have to go back to stock.

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for being so dumb but how do you do that?
It's under "mounts and storage" in CWMA.

I don't know if it would help, and I'm sure it's not necessary but I personally do the "format sdcard" to clear the whole thing. Obviously make sure you back up any app apk's and what not you may have on the card that you will want to restore.

After you clear the caches go back to main and choose the "apply update from .zip file" and then "choose zip from sdcard", install, reboot (back at main menu).

gvc

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
my optimus v is rooted.. when I run adb shell\su I get the # sign. when I run ROM tools to flash recovery it does not verify root..gives the $ sign. how to I flash custom recovery?

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
my optimus v is rooted.. when I run adb shell\su I get the # sign. when I run ROM tools to flash recovery it does not verify root..gives the $ sign. how to I flash custom recovery?
Do you have CWMA installed yet? If so, manually add the ROM .zip and update (flash) it through CWMA.

gvc

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Do you have CWMA installed yet? If so, manually add the ROM .zip and update (flash) it through CWMA.

no..thats my problem..when I go to flash recovery (not rom), rom tools tries to verify root but comes back with a $ , not a # and wants me to root. BUT, I get # through adb shell/su command so I know I am already rooted.

If I close out the "groot.bat" command window and press any key, I get the message that its going to install the custom recovery and reboot and to press any key. after that I just get a command window with a bunch of "I"s (see attached) and nothing happens.

View attachment 7759

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
no..thats my problem..when I go to flash recovery (not rom), rom tools tries to verify root but comes back with a $ , not a # and wants me to root. BUT, I get # through adb shell/su command so I know I am already rooted.

If I close out the "groot.bat" command window and press any key, I get the message that its going to install the custom recovery and reboot and to press any key. after that I just get a command window with a bunch of "I"s (see attached) and nothing happens.

View attachment 7759

If your comfortable inputing commands via adb follow this.

MAKE SURE THE SDCARD IS NOT MOUNTED TO YOUR COMPUTER.

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak <------If this gives error, just ignore it.
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/xionia_cwma_12518.6.img
# reboot recovery

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 7759

The I's are a progress bar. If it's hanging, that means something is going wrong. If the program is causing this much trouble from an unknown error, I suggest manually flashing the recovery using the instructions posted above.

senorleung

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm having trouble with the flashing of the rom. Using ROM Tools option 2, I get all the way to installing CWMA. After clearing the cache and davlik cache. Do I reboot the phone and select option 1 and flash the ROM or do I do it in the recovery screen? I am trying to add the Rodimus ROM. However, it either gives no indication that it's flashed (at the recovery screen) or (after the phone is rebooted) it gives me the post #67 image, Operation denied/permission denied. Thanks for any sort of help.

icarr4077

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Data connection error

Okay, everything worked perfectly for me, but the day before I did this I started having issues with my data plan, I called virgin hoping that they would just reset the data plan settings and I would be good to go, but after that didn't work they asked me to type something into the phone to get to the program menu where I can edit my mdn number. The code he told me to input didn't work so I had to bail on the call, any ideas how I could access this menu?

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have root on my phone, as evidenced by SuperUser and Titanium Backup. However, I don't seem to be able to flash a rom. Is there something other than opening RomTools, having put the ROM.zip in the ROM directory and pressing '1'?

I get 'remount failed: Operation not permitted' and 'cannot create /cache/recovery/command: permission denied' a couple of times and then 'reboot: Operation not permitted'.

Another question. It says I can wipe the dalvik-cache from the main menu but it wants to reboot my phone before I can select that option.

?

Update:

I redid the SuperOneClick.. option 1 says it succeeded, the phone reboots into a blue menu recovery and says can't mount SDCARD:rom.zip 'Installation aborted'

So.. how do I flash this rom then?

Update again:

AH! .. I misread the 'rename included recovery to vrecovery.img', I thought that was just to keep the bundled one from being overwritten if you copied in a new recovery. I just 'made a copy' of the one included in the romtools package and copied my one in as 'recovery.img', so that was my mistake. Using the Xiona CWMA recovery 12518.6 I was able to back up the system and then flash the rom over.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay, everything worked perfectly for me, but the day before I did this I started having issues with my data plan, I called virgin hoping that they would just reset the data plan settings and I would be good to go, but after that didn't work they asked me to type something into the phone to get to the program menu where I can edit my mdn number. The code he told me to input didn't work so I had to bail on the call, any ideas how I could access this menu?

The only way to get this to work is to flash back your initial nanadroid backup.
I had the same problem finally told the CSR to just reset my plan from there end and about five minutes later everything was back to normal. It appears you have to instruct the CSR to manually reset it on their end or they will try to pawn it off on reset/reprogramming your phone.

RE:problems flashing the recovery and new roms.
This is a awesome tool that I appreciate, but really if your having problems I suggest taking the time to read up on how to manually do this. If you cant find the instructions in our section try the S section.

These one-click/just press this button then this button programs are whats causing people to brick their phones. Not that they are a bad malicious program. Just too many people that dont know what they are doing using them. If you dont feel comfortable inputing the adb commands you should not be trying to root your phone. Personally I use romtools when I can but its mostly a convenience reason. I would rather type the commands myself so I can see if for some reason there is a mistype error causing problems.

I give mmmark111 huge kudos for creating this. I appreciate it and think its awesome. But in the end it allows more uninformed people to do something they otherwise shouldnt be doing.

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
RE:problems flashing the recovery and new roms.
This is a awesome tool that I appreciate, but really if your having problems I suggest taking the time to read up on how to manually do this. If you cant find the instructions in our section try the S section.

These one-click/just press this button then this button programs are whats causing people to brick their phones. Not that they are a bad malicious program. Just too many people that dont know what they are doing using them. If you dont feel comfortable inputing the adb commands you should not be trying to root your phone. Personally I use romtools when I can but its mostly a convenience reason. I would rather type the commands myself so I can see if for some reason there is a mistype error causing problems.

I give mmmark111 huge kudos for creating this. I appreciate it and think its awesome. But in the end it allows more uninformed people to do something they otherwise shouldnt be doing.

I kind of agree with that sentiment. I found the romtools program helpful, but the actual use of it to get it to work for me was slightly different than the apparent steps to take. For example, getting root before flashing the rom image was required and flashing of the rom image was required before flashing the recovery otherwise you had to go around again since it automatically rebooted even though I didn't want it to do that. In the recovery install; it asked for the phone type but then still requiring a different named file for recovery and not informing you if you didn't name it right so it appeared to work but didn't. It's automated but has flaws in logic that can trip people up and then when they start scratching around that's when they make mistakes.

I do have to admit that the 'manual' rom flashing way was not really easy to find what to do after getting the root; which I did the 'manual' way from the stickied thread. I was left with 'okay, I have root.. now how do I get this rom image on my phone?' I am new at the Android stuff, but not new to computers or Linux so command line doesn't frighten me but I can imagine that's what leads a lot of people to get confused and make mistakes. Maybe we can have another sticky thread with what to do after getting root, i.e. to get the roms on the phone that people rave about. It's hard to not want to 'get in on the fun' so to speak since people tout their improvements. It comes with the territory I'm afraid that you get people that are not that technically minded wanting to do it.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
From the link to CWMA at the end of first post, I see there is a newer version of Xionia CWMA recovery now: v1.2518.6

Should we be using that instead of the Xionia CWMA v1.2518.4 that is bundled with ROMTools? Or is the one bundled with ROMTools specialized for the Optimus V?

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The only way to get this to work is to flash back your initial nanadroid backup.
I had the same problem finally told the CSR to just reset my plan from there end and about five minutes later everything was back to normal. It appears you have to instruct the CSR to manually reset it on their end or they will try to pawn it off on reset/reprogramming your phone.
I've heard of people requesting this from the CSRs to fix data issues. Does this cause you to have to pay the monthly fee early (like if you "restart your month" online)?

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
From the link to CWMA at the end of first post, I see there is a newer version of Xionia CWMA recovery now: v1.2518.6

Should we be using that instead of the Xionia CWMA v1.2518.4 that is bundled with ROMTools? Or is the one bundled with ROMTools specialized for the Optimus V?

I used the later 12518.6 version and it works great, after I made sure to name it 'vrecovery.img' :)

Status
Not open for further replies.