ARCHIVED: [ROM+Kernel] ~*~ Bumblebee 2.4 ~*~ (6/25/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
There is a serious bug! I can't install non market apps. The phone auto reboots, or freezes. I am downloading from my gmail account.
I have the same issue, except with just trying to install an app from Market (Easy Install).

I was on Bumblebee ROM 1.13, which was working great. Using CWMA .4 Virgin recovery, I created a 512MB partition and 0MB swap on the stock 2GB LG SD card because I want to start using Link2SD. I wiped dalvik cache, cache partition, and data partition. Then I installed the full-wipe Bumblebee ROM 1.14.

When I go into Market and install "Easy Install," the phone reboots/freezes right when Easy Install finishes downloading and tries to install. This is with doing nothing else beforehand besides adding on my Google account so I can access the Market.

I did the whole thing again within CWMA .4 Virgin recovery with wiping dalvik/cache/data and reinstalling full-wipe BB ROM 1.14. And the same thing happens. So I backed down to BB ROM 1.13 and the issue went away.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue, except with just trying to install an app from Market (Easy Install).

I was on Bumblebee ROM 1.13, which was working great. Using CWMA .4 Virgin recovery, I created a 512MB partition and 0MB swap on the stock 2GB LG SD card because I want to start using Link2SD. I wiped dalvik cache, cache partition, and data partition. Then I installed the full-wipe Bumblebee ROM 1.14.

When I go into Market and install "Easy Install," the phone reboots/freezes right when Easy Install finishes downloading and tries to install. This is with doing nothing else beforehand besides adding on my Google account so I can access the Market.

I did the whole thing again within CWMA .4 Virgin recovery with wiping dalvik/cache/data and reinstalling full-wipe BB ROM 1.14. And the same thing happens. So I backed down to BB ROM 1.13 and the issue went away.

David, did you happen to use Link2SD to move any of the Google apps to ext partition before? If so, I think I might know what's causing this. What's happening (I think) is that when I moved the google apps to /data/app, it is overwriting the symlink there which results in two copies of the app (one in /data/app and one in data/sdext2).

EDIT: Link to fix removed, check first post.

Last edited:

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
David, did you happen to use Link2SD to move any of the Google apps to ext partition before? If so, I think I might know what's causing this. What's happening (I think) is that when I moved the google apps to /data/app, it is overwriting the symlink there which results in two copies of the app (one in /data/app and one in data/sdext2).

EDIT: Ok, here's the test fix. update_link2sd-fix_1.14.zip. Reboot into recovery, flash it over BB 1.14. You will have to re-link/move the google apps to ext, but it should be working properly with links/apps/2sd. Please report back if it works or not.
I actually haven't installed or used the Link2SD app yet. I did create the 512MB partition using the Xionia CWMA recovery prior to flashing full-wipe BB 1.14, in case the mere existence of that partition might have had some effect. I basically went from clearing dalvik/cache/data -> installing full-wipe BB 1.14 -> adding Google account (so I can use Market) -> attempting to install "Easy Install" from Market.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I actually haven't installed or used the Link2SD app yet. I did create the 512MB partition using the Xionia CWMA recovery prior to flashing full-wipe BB 1.14, in case the mere existence of that partition might have had some effect. I basically went from clearing dalvik/cache/data -> installing full-wipe BB 1.14 -> adding Google account (so I can use Market) -> attempting to install "Easy Install" from Market.

Alright, I think I've got this tracked down to an issue with the full wipe install. I'll do several tests to make sure, and when it's working I'll post a 1.14a update (probably tomorrow morning).

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Try the Amon_RA recovery. I've used both and found that RA partitions SD cards MUCH better than Xionia CWMA.

I was having issues with Link2SD not recognizing my partition until I deleted the partition created by CWMA, formatted my sdcard, switched back to RA Recovery and used that to partition my SD card. Now no issues.

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I think I've got this tracked down to an issue with the full wipe install. I'll do several tests to make sure, and when it's working I'll post a 1.14a update (probably tomorrow morning).
Sounds good! :D

Try the Amon_RA recovery. I've used both and found that RA partitions SD cards MUCH better than Xionia CWMA.

I was having issues with Link2SD not recognizing my partition until I deleted the partition created by CWMA, formatted my sdcard, switched back to RA Recovery and used that to partition my SD card. Now no issues.
I'm new to Link2SD, but just tried it with BB ROM 1.13 and the CWMA-formatted partition is working ok for me. I didn't know which file system to choose upon initial Link2SD startup, so I popped the SD card into my computer and saw that CWMA formats the first partition (for storage) as FAT32 and the second partition (for Link2SD) as Ext3.

Not sure if Ext3 is the best choice or whether to go with Ext4 or FAT32 instead, but it's working ok.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

So the issue was with the full-wipe install, but the problem wasn't what I thought it was last night. The install puts the google apps to /data/app creating that directory if /data was completely gone, however the full-wipe install did not set permissions for the new /data/app directory, which meant the Market couldn't install to it and generally freaked out. One reason this didn't show up for me was because there was a second problem in the full-wipe install -- it didn't format the data partition correctly either (!), so /data/app (sometimes) already existed with the proper permissions. And that's why the bug didn't show for everyone.

You can test (and fix) this yourself by booting into recovery, mounting /data, and then doing "adb shell chown -R 1000.1000 /data/app", "adb shell chmod 771 /data/app", and "adb shell chmod -R 644 /data/app". Reboot and Market installs work.

Anyway, those two issues are now fixed, and it all works again. As soon as the new install zips have finished uploading, I'll update the first post. My upload bandwidth is currently throttled (begin looking for a new ISP :mad: ), so it will take about 45 minutes or so.

My apologies to those that had this problem.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

One issue with Link2SD was that if you didn't have an /etc/init.d folder, it set up it's mounting in /etc/install-recovery.sh. That file is normally not present in ROMS (this one included), so Link2SD creates it. However, I found that it didn't set it to be executable, so the partition was never mounted on boot. Once I figured this out, I put some code in the "no-wipe" install which sets that file to be executable whenever you update. So chances are that it wasn't actually the change in recovery that fixed it for you, but rather just doing a Bumblebee update. :)

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
1.15 update now posted, fixes app installation issues (no need to install if 1.14 was working for you, only if you had app installation problems)

Just wanted to say I'm very happy with your work and the development and updates you are putting into this project you have done. Keep up the great work. :)

thatguy123

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
1.15 update now posted, fixes app installation issues (no need to install if 1.14 was working for you, only if you had app installation problems)

I love your rom! TThe thing is fast and you fixed it in no time! The only problem is the theme but I can manage by with your awesome rom. Thanks bud

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I knew this was the ROM for me from when the topic was first created. Great work!

Minor cosmetic thing: Google spelling during ROM install: "Installing Googls apps to /data/app..."

Is an SD card speed booster (e.g. SD-Booster) worthwhile to use with this ROM when using Link2SD?

Last edited:

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I knew this was the ROM for me from when the topic was first created. Great work!

Minor cosmetic thing: Google spelling during ROM install: "Installing Googls apps to /data/app..."

Is an SD card speed booster (e.g. SD-Booster) worthwhile to use with this ROM when using Link2SD?

Thanks for spotting the typo. :)

As for the sd speed booster, well the setting depends on your individual sd card. The first thing is to make sure you've got a Class 6 or better card. Then you can play around with the read_ahead_kb buffer (which is what that app does) to find the optimal setting for your card. BTW, you don't need the app, you can do it in an init.d script. See this thread for more info.

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Obi, is it possible to add a "Reboot" and "Reboot into Recovery" to the shutdown menu? I know the phone responds to these commands as the ROMtools program can send them to the phone.

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Obi, is it possible to add a "Reboot" and "Reboot into Recovery" to the shutdown menu? I know the phone responds to these commands as the ROMtools program can send them to the phone.

Just download the app "Quick Boot (Reboot)" and place a shortcut on your home screen for which type of reboot you would like. It has several options.

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
After using stock + Xiona 5 & 8 and last couple AOSP builds, this is by far the best rom + kernel so far. Rock stable, super fast, and great battery life. Compliments to the chef!

One thing though, does anyone know how to get the gingerbread keyboard on 2.2?

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

I've been looking into adding some features such as this, but not in a "hacky" way such as borrowing another ROM's framework.jar or whatever. I just started working with the complete Froyo source branch, with LG's hardware-specific additions merged in (which are bundled as a tarball when you download the LG kernel source). Actually just getting it compiled was an eye opener. The Android source by itself is almost 3GB (a note on the download page says that the repo sync might take "several minutes" -- riiiiiiiight, maybe if you've got a 50+MB download pipe, it took me almost 2 hours), and compiling it takes almost 10GB of drive space.

I'm now in the testing stage. Not sure what I might run into in testing, so no promises on when that version of Bumblebee will be released. But I'll keep updating the current version with fixes and whatnot. Right now I'm not happy with my decision to put the Google apps on /data/app, they probably shouldn't be bundled at all, just installed as a separate zip.

So, anyway, stay tuned. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress