[SOLVED!!!!] Cannot get bootsound to work on Harmonia

pandacookie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what the title says. No matter what I try, I cannot get a bootsound to work on this rom! I tried tutorials, android_audio.mp3, PowerOn.mp3, everything. Nothing works. I brought this up in the Harmonia thread, but it kept getting lost in the shuffle, so I made this thread. Could anyone help?

Last edited:

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cannot get bootsound to work on Harmonia

Hmm, when I made my mod and changed the PowerOn.mp3 I made sure it was roughly the same size so that there wasn't too much that was messed up. I also flashed all the rest of the sounds from the Harmonia sounds zip.

Does the original PowerOn.mp3 sound play? (the virgin mobile one)

pandacookie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

No. The Virgin Mobile sound isn't even on my phone anymore. I'm trying to use the "warning" sound from BACKside.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site

I guess I should have been more clear. lol Can you get the original one to play?

I know there's two different ways to do it, one is replacing the PowerOn.mp3, and one is including it with the bootanimation.zip...

There's also something in your build.prop file that can make it so no boot sound plays at all I think...or maybe that just disables all boot animations...

pandacookie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

I guess I should have been more clear. lol Can you get the original one to play?

I know there's two different ways to do it, one is replacing the PowerOn.mp3, and one is including it with the bootanimation.zip...

There's also something in your build.prop file that can make it so no boot sound plays at all I think...or maybe that just disables all boot animations...

I don't have the original one. I deleted that a while ago. No sound plays on startup. When I was running BACKside, the boot sound played, so it's not the phone.

LeslieAnn was supposed to look into settings in the build.prop file, but I guess she got busy doing something else...

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

LeslieAnn was supposed to look into settings in the build.prop file, but I guess she got busy doing something else...

Sorry, I didn't get home till quite late last night, I didn't forget though.

I didn't see anything in there, it's possible I missed it, but I doubt it.
Next time I reload my phone I will see what I can find out.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Search is a good thing.
There is multiple threads by me with the information on how to do this.

It applies to gingerbread and froyo. The script was built during the cm6 days so no reason it shouldnt work.
Now that said some phones just wont do it with certain roms. Just like I cant get BT to work fully others can. BT media works perfect on the old asop roms but BT phone wont, now its just reverse on IHO.

So just because it worked on Jerry's build doesnt mean it will on Bobs build nor does it guarantee it will work on Harmonia.

Now looking at Harmonia I dont see the call in the build prop to play boot sounds so follow the guild here and try.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/114730-how-boot-sound.html

If this doesnt work more than likely it just wont work. As Ive told others on here and other forums sometimes the kernel is edited to disable the bootsounds because it saves space.

pandacookie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

I did use Google. If you read my original post you'd see that I tried tutorials. I tried your tutorial. It didn't work. I got an error, something about root shell not existing.

Also, I realize not all roms work the same. I was just saying it worked in Jerry's build because I was saying boot sounds work on this phone in general.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I did use Google. If you read my original post you'd see that I tried tutorials. I tried your tutorial. It didn't work. I got an error, something about root shell not existing.

Also, I realize not all roms work the same. I was just saying it worked in Jerry's build because I was saying boot sounds work on this phone in general.

Root shell not existing is a very VITAL piece of information.

Now had you provided this VITAL piece of information people could have helped you.
If you are getting root shell not existing then that means you dont have root access.
Im thinking maybe your not authorizing adb as a superuser or even terminal.

Some kernels disable the boot sound. That is where this script comes into play, it will re-enable the function without having to hack the kernel. Every phone should play it but some just wont with certain roms.

pandacookie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Now that I am home and not trying to do this via the OV and the virtual keyboard, let me explain things.

Here is the full error I get (via Terminal):

Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [t-type] device directory
No such user "root: shell"
Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [t-type] device directory

A little bit of backstory...I did the tutorial twice. The first time, I got an error which basically said that there was no directory for "bootsound". Also, the file "bootsound" did not copy over, nor did it say "ro.config.play.bootsound= 1" in build.prop. After I made a directory named "Bootsound", I did the tutorial again. The result was the "Usage mount..." error above. Strangely, I now have a file named "bootsound" in system/bin, and it says "ro.config.play.bootsound= 1" in build.prop, yet the boot sound will not play. So the tutorial did not work.

Okay, so does anyone have any ideas on what to do next? Please? I really could use the help. If this is hopeless, let me know.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

It still sounds like something isnt getting permission to run as superuser.

Open the bootsound file in /system/bin and post what is says please.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I want to add panda try removing EVERYTHING.
Then run the script and reboot.

Also because Im a dumbass and didnt double check the spelling Ive corrected a typo.
In system/etc/init/rc is where the code is you can remove. Initially is said /system/etc/unit/rc and that doesnt exist on my phone so Im going to assume it was a typo.

pandacookie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

I tried deleting everything and the audio still didn't play. Same error too, when I ran the script thru Terminal.

Here is what the bootsound file said:

#! /system/bin/sh
bprop= /system/build.prop
play = $ (cat $bprop | egrep -c -i -o ro.config.play.bootsound = 1)
if [ "$play" = "1"]; then
stagefright -a -o /system/media/android_audio.mp3
fi
exit 0

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I tried deleting everything and the audio still didn't play. Same error too, when I ran the script thru Terminal.

Here is what the bootsound file said:

#! /system/bin/sh
bprop= /system/build.prop
play = $ (cat $bprop | egrep -c -i -o ro.config.play.bootsound = 1
if [ "play" = "1"]; then
stagefright -a -o /system/media/android_audio.mp3
fi
exit 0
shouldn't that be
$play
instead of "play"?

it looks like it's comparing two different string literals as it is, which would always evaluate to false.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

there's also a missing closing parentheses [an ")"] on the end of the previous line, probably after the 1

Last edited:

pandacookie

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Yeah. I typed this on my OV after copying it from a piece of paper I scribbled everything on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699