Brand new optimus V. Want to root/install cyanogenmod

saxrulez

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Basically exactly what the title says. I have a brand new Optimus V that I got today. I would like to root it and install cyanogenmod.

I've read about a few issues with the newer screens not working on some builds at some point, is that all resolved in the current IHO Cyanogenmod rom?

Is gingerbreak still working for gaining root on the newest phones?

Thanks for your help. I am leaving verizon and my motorola droid behind. My wife and I both got droids when they first came out, but I am not paying another $180 a month ever again. Just waiting a few more weeks for the contract to run out before activating these phones. Plain ridiculous.

Growjunky

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
If you look in the sticky there's directions on how to do everything. Its a bit of reading but if you follow the instructions you'll be ok. Gingersnap1.2 should root you're phones just fine.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
wait until you activate before doing ANYTHING to the phone. you need to be on the stock rom to complete the initial activation process

that being said

steps in order, without going into too much detail.

1. gingerbreak, gain root access.

2. install BusyBox and Superuser

3. find flash_image and put it where it goes in your phone with root explorer.

4. flash IHO recovery through Terminal from the phone itself.

5. Reboot into IHO recovery, make a Nandroid backup of stock rom (it will be backed up in its current state, with apps, root, bosybox, everything as it was when you rebooted, when its restored, it will be like it was never off the phone)

6. wipe System, Cache, and Dalvik Cache from the IHO recovery

7. flash IHO

8. flash Gapps (installs the market, or else you cant sign into any account)

9. reboot into IHO, set it up like you would with a fresh android phone (sign in, start syncing and downloading apps)

thats it.

others can help with the details.

for now, heres the link to the place where the IHO roms are. there is an "Optimus V" section.

BACKside rom is updated the most often.

they are all very similar (all forks of cm7) but I've had the best and most stable experience with BACKside. I suggest that first.

https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc/wiki/Binary

the instructions say back up apps and data with titanium backup, but seeing as you are already an android user, I would suggest starting with a fresh flash and downloading apps from the market as you need them.

Go SMS can back up texts from the droid and restore them to the Optimus V. Dolphin HD can do the same for your browser bookmarks

saxrulez

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Doh! I did already root it, however I think I will wait to try different roms until after I activate it unless someone has experience with activating a device after switching to a custom rom.

Thanks for your help.

Growjunky

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh and by the way Jerry scripts newest iho rom is really great along with the rest of the oho roms. Thanks to blarf,bobzome,mrg666,and that's just a few that have gave us so much for this device. if you look in the IHO thread you'll find a link to the roms and the iho custom recovery. You'll definitely want to try them out.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

saxrulez

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm still blown away that I'm going to be able to use this phone with 1200 minutes and unlimited data/text for $45 a month.....

It seems faster than my motorola droid in some aspects. The screen on the motorola was a nicer quality, and I am DEFINITELY going to miss having the real keyboard until I get used to swype.

saxrulez

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Typing away now using swipe! Still suck at it.need much more practice. What finger do people use to type like this quickly?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I use my thumb with swype most of the time, like right now I'm holding the phone by my finger tips and then swyping with my thumb. :)

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
you can have root to activate, thats fine.

activation requires use of that "Activate" app. and it does not work, and is very unlikely to ever work, on a gingerbread ROM.

it does work on other Froyo roms though.

so feel free to try IHO now, but flash to a nandroid of stock rom when you want to activate it.

swype also is not installed on CM7. dont get too used to it unless you dont mind signing up for the beta to get it on cm7

akumachan

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to butt in on this, I've done everything described here and I have the market app on my phone, but I can't login to my google account. When I try it says it is trying to log into an exchange account and it always fails.

Please help...

saxrulez

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You need to install gapps.zip again. I had the same problem the first timei installed Cyanogenmod.

saxrulez

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I really am enjoying this phone for home wifi use. can't wait to activate it ina couple weeks!

saxrulez

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
One more thing, before i activate the phone is there any way to see where I will get 3g coverage? I seem to get good reception everywhere but I haven't seen a 3g icon yet. does that mean I'm not getting 3g or is that just because the phone isn't activated yet?

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to butt in on this, I've done everything described here and I have the market app on my phone, but I can't login to my google account. When I try it says it is trying to log into an exchange account and it always fails.

Please help...

you didnt flass Gapps.zip immediately after flashing the rom.

you probably flashed cm7, then booted into it, realized you didnt have the market, and then went back into the recovery to flash gapps. which will cause this exact problem.

do one right after the other before the first boot and youll be fine.

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the same question as the OP..... And that question didn't seem to be quite answered. At least I couldn't find the answer.
That being, will new OV's work on the most recent build of IHO? I have an Optimus Slider and I plan to get an Optimus V instead.... And since It'll be a brand new one, I don't want to risk the black screen, or not being able to experience CM7.
Are the most recent builds for the new phones? Or are they still based on the older V's?
I plan to buy the phone tonight.....Any help would be awesome :)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
yes, IHO builds since (if I remember) early September work on old and new OV's.
BobZHome's IHO recovery, from the 'alternatives' section of the iho wiki binary recovery page, also works on old and new models.
Whyzor's rooting sticky at the top of this forum section also links to that recovery.

Reactions: charkswitlazers

charkswitlazers

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So not only do I have to select the proper ROM, but I will also have to look for the specific recovery .img?
Thanks for your help man. Going to the store to grab this phone in a bit.
Radioshack ftw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38