How to properly wipe your Android (update,clear,new rom, etc..)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
This is based on the IHO recovery but others are similar.

This assumes you are already in recovery, I also highly recommend making at least a Nandroid backup in case something goes wrong (which can happen but shouldn't).

To clean your personal information:
Select “wipe data/factory reset
Select “yes”

To install over a rom without losing data such as updating from 2.0 to 2.01 with a complete rom.
If it is labeled as an update, using this will wipe out your install as it wipes out the system files. Updates should be just put in.
Go to “mounts and storage”
Select “format /boot”
Select “yes”
Select “format /cache”
Select “yes”
Select “format /system”
Select “yes”
Back out of that menu to the main one again and select “advanced”
Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache”
Select “yes”

To wipe clean 100% and install a new rom
Select “wipe data/factory reset
Select “yes”
Go to “mounts and storage”
Select “format /boot”
Select “yes”
Select “format /system”
Select “yes”
Back out of that menu to the main one again and select “advanced”
Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache”
Select “yes”

Last edited:

wch_one

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to properly wipe your Android (update,clear,new rom, etc.

Thanks for this very helpful information. Are there instructions anywhere on how to use Titanium Backup to backup/restore as much as possible between updates? The most annoying thing about updating the ROM is getting all my system settings (accounts, interface settings, etc) back to their previous state.

The user app+data backup and restore is straightforward, but I never know what to do about system apps and settings.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for this very helpful information. Are there instructions anywhere on how to use Titanium Backup to backup/restore as much as possible between updates? The most annoying thing about updating the ROM is getting all my system settings (accounts, interface settings, etc) back to their previous state.

The user app+data backup and restore is straightforward, but I never know what to do about system apps and settings.

Dont restore system apps+data. Those were recreated when you booted back into the phone. Things change each time you flash so restoring those can cause issues.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I haven't had trouble with restoring apps and data too much, however I do not use Titanium Backup, it has caused me some problems.

I use MyBackup Pro and restore apk's then data in a two step process. Doing it as a single operation has been known to create problems with certain apps. This technique works on TB as well, however TB is more of a hassle and too easy to restore things you shouldn't.

Never restore system settings, that is one thing certain to mess things up.

If you look in Harmonia 2's thread there is a link to my guide on backing up and restoring.

nutmeg07

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I followed your instructions for a 100% clean wipe, but then instead of flashing a rom I accidentally rebooted and now I'm stuck in a blue fastboot. Ugh.

Suggestions? I have no idea how I got here or what to do.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I followed your instructions for a 100% clean wipe, but then instead of flashing a rom I accidentally rebooted and now I'm stuck in a blue fastboot. Ugh.

Suggestions? I have no idea how I got here or what to do.

Just pull the battery and boot back into recovery, via holding down the back button, the volume down button, and the power button at the same time... then flash the Rom you meant to dash:)

Sent via the Postal Service

nutmeg07

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Just pull the battery and boot back into recovery, via holding down the back button, the volume down button, and the power button at the same time... then flash the Rom you meant to dash:)

Sent via the Postal Service
Oh my gosh, thank you so so much! I just spent 2 hours looking up bizarre, complicated instructions that weren't helping me and that's all I needed to do...wow.

THANK YOU AGAIN! I owe you my life and this whole night's sleep ;)

The life of a newb is rough.

nutmeg07

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Thanks so much...but I think I just made it a lot worse. My SD card was wiped so I couldn't access the rom I wanted to flash...so I did LG style factory reset, and now I get the blue fastboot screen, but when I told down those buttons instead of going into recovery I get 'android system recovery' and it just reboots.... and back to the blue screen....
ahhhhhhh!

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much...but I think I just made it a lot worse. My SD card was wiped so I couldn't access the rom I wanted to flash...so I did LG style factory reset, and now I get the blue fastboot screen, but when I told down those buttons instead of going into recovery I get 'android system recovery' and it just reboots.... and back to the blue screen....
ahhhhhhh!

Never do a factory style wipe. Guaranteed brick. But if you can access adb then your in luck. Check the stickies

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

nutmeg07

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

So am I totally screwed if I use ADB and put in adb devices and get "list of devices attached:" followed by nothing?

StevenOptimusV

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

When I go to Mounts I get:

Mount /system
Unmount /cache
Mount /data
Mount /sd-ext
Mount /sdcard

No Format commands. Do I have to look somewhere else for the Format commands?

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site

great guide. also to add to list of good backup apps,might want to try app backup & restore. its super simple to use,and as long as you have a decent file explorer you dont even need app backup installed to restore the apps saved with it.

tcomotcom

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

LeslieAnn,

The update instructions in your original post say to wipe

boot -> cache -> system -> Dalvik

but the total wipe/clean install instructions say to wipe

data/factory reset -> boot -> system -> Dalvik

When doing a total wipe, does the data/factory reset wipe include wiping the cache? Is that why "wipe cache" isn't listed in the total wipe instructions? Just curious. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38