Any way to create SD ext partition from phone without SD format?

Rudeco

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone aware of any methods or apps that would allow me to create an SD ext partition without having to use a PC or backup my SD card? In other words, no format SD to create partition?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone aware of any methods or apps that would allow me to create an SD ext partition without having to use a PC or backup my SD card? In other words, no format SD to create partition?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

No

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Any way to create SD ext partition from phone without SD form

its completely possible.. use minitool partition wizard in windows to create a free space. format that free space (or whatever) as ext3 (i think that will work) and make it the primary partition. and boom goes the dynamite.

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Windoze is who I would blame. First re partition your PC hard drive and throw some Linux on there man. That's where the magic turns into a NASA mission lol.

P.S. I blame windows for lots of things. :cool:

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

BuggerZ

May 29, 2012
Visit site

You need to do it with Linux, and give it a ext4 partition. I'd have to analyze my partition in Linux to find out which type it exactly is, but I don't feel like bothering. It's really easy to do though. You can use a graphical tool if you want, gparted.

In reply to A-android-B, you can get around a PC reformatting, by either resizing the other operating systems partition, installing Ubuntu in Windows (via WUBI), or you can use a Live CD (no installation needed at all!).

I wouldn't trust Windows with creating an ext partition. That's Linux level stuff, only Linux should be trusted with it.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You need to do it with Linux, and give it a ext4 partition. I'd have to analyze my partition in Linux to find out which type it exactly is, but I don't feel like bothering. It's really easy to do though. You can use a graphical tool if you want, gparted.

In reply to A-android-B, you can get around a PC reformatting, by either resizing the other operating systems partition, installing Ubuntu in Windows (via WUBI), or you can use a Live CD (no installation needed at all!).

I wouldn't trust Windows with creating an ext partition. That's Linux level stuff, only Linux should be trusted with it.

Mini partition tool does just fine for partitions, I use it to do ext4 because older recoveries would only do ext3. Gparted works too it installs on a thumb drive with a very basic Linux ISO. Its simple and quick to install

sent from my Nokia 5110

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Um here's the part of the post that you missed NO COMPUTER!! If your not rooted idk but if so just use from manager

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
From your phone.. in theory, yes. you'd have to get all the tools installed somehow and not on the sdcard. Maybe put a debian chroot in /cache. Then install a window manager, gparted, and a vnc server on it. Use a vnc app to connect and run gparted.

Easier solution: borrow a friends PC and get a livecd with gparted.

BuggerZ

May 29, 2012
Visit site

Maybe if you have mkfs.ext3 or mkfs.ext4 on your phone, but then you have to have a terminal emulator on the phone, and you have to make sure to resize partitions. Not for the faint of heart! GParted and a LiveCD is your better bet.

vawlk

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

its completely possible.. use minitool partition wizard in windows to create a free space. format that free space (or whatever) as ext3 (i think that will work) and make it the primary partition. and boom goes the dynamite.

this is what I did and I have no problems. However, it didn't start working magically on the next reboot. I had to wipe and reflash before the sd-ext scripts worked. But they did and my data on the first partition was untouched.

Minitool on windows works just fine.

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't trust Microsoft to watch my houseplants lol. They would kill my plants then try to sell me more. Seriously though open source or nothing Microsoft is evil and that's the straight truth.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

^^ I'm not going to edit the post, but please, no one take the bait. Keep it on topic.

Reactions: sellers86

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Bait lol. I'm not trolling sorry for openly hating please pm me if you wish for me to edit that post