Kindle Fire 7 2022 Version Micro SD card

TNorth2016

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I just got a Kindle Fire 7 2022 version and have a question about a micro SD card. If I format that card as internal storage, will all apps be able to run from it, or will those remain on the initial 16 gb storage?

If I format it as portable storage, what can be stored on it - I understand this version won't allow apps to run from portable storage.

Not sure which is the better way to go. I'm not anticipating adding too many apps, but don't want to run out of storage with the limited 16 gb it came with. What are the drawbacks of formatting as internal storage in the long run?

Thanks!

TN

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You pretty much summed it up, but if you format as internal and the OS allows it, it basically acts as an extension of the built-in memory and apps will eventually be installed there as well. If it's portable, however, only temporary media (i.e. stuff that if you remove the card won't result in app malfunction). As for the drawbacks, there is a reason why modern OS versions did away from that feature entirely: SD cards are not reliable (and, for modern devices, not as fast). The biggest problem is that if you store app data on a card and it fails or it is removed (or quite common in cheap SD cards, data gets corrupted/damaged), the system cannot find said data and apps, causing the system to fail.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Yeah it is really not a good idea to format as internal storage. SD cards are not designed to be written to as often as happens when it is used as internal storage. So the cards of ten fail and it renders your device unusable until you reformat the device.

Reactions: TNorth2016

TNorth2016

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much for the replies! I appreciate the input, and can see why using the SD card as portable storage is best. I'll go ahead and set my Fire 7 up that way.

Any thoughts on how to optimize the 16gb of internal storage that my Fire came with. I don't want to run out of that.

Thanks again!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
If you can back up photos to sd card or cloud that saves a ton of space. Do you have Amazon Prime cos you get unlimited photo storage free with prime. Also only install the apps you want to use from the start as adding and deleting apps leaves residual files behind that can eat your storage.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I find it unbelievable that Amazon still offers a 16 GB storage variant of any tablet in 2022. They start the 8" tablets at 32 GB now, and the 7" tablets should have the same starting point. The amount of space the OS takes up to start with is no different just because the screen is an inch smaller. I know it's all about keeping the cost down, but I'm pretty sure Amazon can absorb the difference of simply doubling the installed ram. All those devices are already sold at well below the cost to them since they are relying on subscriptions and ad revenue to make up the difference anyway.

As to how to use it now that you have it, pretty much what Kizzy says is the best way to go about it. Keep apps to a minimum - it will fill up pretty fast.

You can set the Amazon apps like the Kindle and Music apps to download to the SD card, if you have anything like that to download. I think you can set the Camera app to save to the SD card too, but then the built-in camera is really bad so you probably don't want to ever actually use it. Stick to streaming as much as you can. Watch the space you have - I'd keep at least 1 GB free if you can.

TNorth2016

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
If you can back up photos to sd card or cloud that saves a ton of space. Do you have Amazon Prime cos you get unlimited photo storage free with prime. Also only install the apps you want to use from the start as adding and deleting apps leaves residual files behind that can eat your storage.
Thanks! Yes - I am planning on getting an SD card set up - so that will take care of storage for any books, photos, etc. I don't have Amazon Prime, so the SD card will hopefully work.

I wish it had more internal storage, but since I'm really not planning on adding many apps - I'd just as soon delete most of the ones it came with, but can't - so it will probably be enough. Thanks for the tip about the residual files, too - didn't know that!

TNorth2016

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I find it unbelievable that Amazon still offers a 16 GB storage variant of any tablet in 2022. They start the 8" tablets at 32 GB now, and the 7" tablets should have the same starting point. The amount of space the OS takes up to start with is no different just because the screen is an inch smaller. I know it's all about keeping the cost down, but I'm pretty sure Amazon can absorb the difference of simply doubling the installed ram. All those devices are already sold at well below the cost to them since they are relying on subscriptions and ad revenue to make up the difference anyway.

As to how to use it now that you have it, pretty much what Kizzy says is the best way to go about it. Keep apps to a minimum - it will fill up pretty fast.

You can set the Amazon apps like the Kindle and Music apps to download to the SD card, if you have anything like that to download. I think you can set the Camera app to save to the SD card too, but then the built-in camera is really bad so you probably don't want to ever actually use it. Stick to streaming as much as you can. Watch the space you have - I'd keep at least 1 GB free if you can.
Thanks for the help! I knew it had a small drive - but it was pretty inexpensive and I am hoping to use it mainly to download Kindle and get email. I am planning an SD card, so that should take care of the storage - but I do wish some of the apps could run from the SD card in case it gets tight.

And yes, I do have much better options for photos - so I won't be using the camera much either.

Thanks for the tip about trying to keep about 1GB free - I will keep that in mind!