Optimus V: I thought my 3G woes were over!?

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
On 3-13-14 i installed this [MOD][SCRIPTs][TWEAKs]Fly-On Mod?V4.0 Beta6/Feel The Smoothness!/Upd:15/01/14 - xda-developers
Thank you AndyOpie150!
So, for about a week everything was buttery smooth, 3g was connecting faster than ever and pages were loading faster, just a overall better working phone until the beginning of this week.

I started noticing 3g in most places around town would take a very long time to connect if at all and alot of the time i would get the slow 1x. I thought maybe the Fly-On tweaks maybe somehow uninstalled but after checking with terminal emulator, everything was still installed. I've tried different things over the past week to find a solution, nothing until today i got.a Gmail from Virgin Mobile Network Vision | Virgin Mobile USA Newsroom
Well, this explains why everything has slowed down or won't even connect!!

Even tho they say our internet connection and download speeds should increase 30 to 50%, i don't know if i can wait 4 to 6 months at the speed that its going now. They could have at least gave me a heads up before starting the changes in my area!

Oh, and i love how it says "you can expect the work to be completed by the end of next year " "2013" typo?

EDIT : I forgot, they did send me a text message on 3-24-14 saying that they will begin work in my area, so be warned, if you receive this text message you'll know what to expect, hopefully your service won't be as bad as mine!

I think if service is going to take this long, we deserve some incentive. I just hope it doesn't get any worse before it gets better or i might be looking for a new provider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: I thought my 3G woes were over!?

I do live in the NYC area (in New Jersey), so I'm likely under the 10-12 month period for the upgrade. This better not suck... if I have to change providers, MetroPCS is on the top of that list for me.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

my only real incentive is not losing the two grandfathered $25 monthlies we have here...
and service bites in this area anyway. has entirely gone out more than once.
Sooooooo cheap though. can't give that up.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

my only real incentive is not losing the two grandfathered $25 monthlies we have here...
and service bites in this area anyway. has entirely gone out more than once.
Sooooooo cheap though. can't give that up.

I hear ya, i really don't want to give up just yet. So far my 3g is still working okay at home, that's my main concern. But, around town it's really bad, i just can't see it taking 4 to 6 months to upgrade, i guess i'll just wait and see how it goes.

As long as i have good service at home, i hope it will be worth the wait for a 30 to 50% improvement.

anon(793715)

May 19, 2012
Visit site

Mine has been spotty. But I can't justify switching unless it totally craps out. In my area (deep South Louisiana) there are service issues with every provider.
The service issues make Ingress pretty frustrating though.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I switched to page plus because I wanted better coverage. I brought my Optimus to page plus too. I pay 29.99 a month and the extra 5 for the better coverage is worth it for me. Only down side is now I have to pay attention to how much mobile data I use their 29.99 plan only comes with 500mb. Doesn't bother me much though since 99%of the time I'm on wifi

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I switched to page plus because I wanted better coverage. I brought my Optimus to page plus too. I pay 29.99 a month and the extra 5 for the better coverage is worth it for me. Only down side is now I have to pay attention to how much mobile data I use their 29.99 plan only comes with 500mb. Doesn't bother me much though since 99%of the time I'm on wifi

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

That's great, but sadly for me, no wifi. I usually go way over 500mb a month so i'm hoping that i can stay with virgin. I just hope these upgrades are goin to be as good as they say they will.

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I switched from Virgin Mobile on a ZTE Awe because they wouldn't fix my data issue and coverage when I was in their best coverage zone, and I'm in El Dorado, Arkansas!!! So i went to Verizon Wireless Prepaid onto a Motorola Moto G and it works great!!!! But now you have to buy a $45 plan that has unlimited talk, text, and 500mb of data!!! So you have to buy a data card and the best deal they have is $20 for 3gb plus the 500mb so that's about 3 1/2 gb of data a month!!! And on Virgin Mobile I went to about 4gb a month so I definitely have to watch my usage!! But its great because I use my neighbors WiFi most of the time!!!:) Maybe if they do Network Work Vision in El Dorado some time soon I'll switch back because I loved the $35 a month plan I'm not a big talker. Maybe I am look how much I said!!!!!😝

Posted via Android Central App

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I commiserate with you guys - my virgin data connection has always been pretty bad, The signal just seems to be weak here and I'm in Silicon Valley, dammit! LOL Doing anything on the web is extremely slow and painful involving much waiting and reloading. But that $25/month...

I tried out a nexus 5 on t-mobile's $30 unlimited data plan [throttled after 5 GB data] and it was much, much better. I could get an LTE connection thoughout most of my area. The drawback is only 100 minutes of voice. Of course, you can supplement that with voice calling over wifi, when you have it. And it looks like google's plan is to have us all make voice calls in Hangouts, which will use only data. But who knows when that will be complete?

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I switched from Virgin Mobile on a ZTE Awe because they wouldn't fix my data issue and coverage when I was in their best coverage zone, and I'm in El Dorado, Arkansas!!! So i went to Verizon Wireless Prepaid onto a Motorola Moto G and it works great!!!! But now you have to buy a $45 plan that has unlimited talk, text, and 500mb of data!!! So you have to buy a data card and the best deal they have is $20 for 3gb plus the 500mb so that's about 3 1/2 gb of data a month!!! And on Virgin Mobile I went to about 4gb a month so I definitely have to watch my usage!! But its great because I use my neighbors WiFi most of the time!!!:) Maybe if they do Network Work Vision in El Dorado some time soon I'll switch back because I loved the $35 a month plan I'm not a big talker. Maybe I am look how much I said!!!!!😝

Posted via Android Central App

I'm not much of a talker either, mostly used for work ( i'm on call 24/7 ) but my wife uses this phone too, now you wanna talk about talkin, i got grandfathered in at $40.00 a month plan and towards the end of the month i have to tell her to watch the minutes because she would go over 1200 minutes no problem just talking to her sister. I can't believe how much those women can talk about nothing (no offense ladies) i forgot what my point was!?
Anyway, i hope i can stay with Virgin, it is a good plan. ;)

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I commiserate with you guys - my virgin data connection has always been pretty bad, The signal just seems to be weak here and I'm in Silicon Valley, dammit! LOL Doing anything on the web is extremely slow and painful involving much waiting and reloading. But that $25/month...

I tried out a nexus 5 on t-mobile's $30 unlimited data plan [throttled after 5 GB data] and it was much, much better. I could get an LTE connection thoughout most of my area. The drawback is only 100 minutes of voice. Of course, you can supplement that with voice calling over wifi, when you have it. And it looks like google's plan is to have us all make voice calls in Hangouts, which will use only data. But who knows when that will be complete?

Wow, T-Mobile would be perfect for me, but since my wife is the big talker, without wifi I'd be screwed! Seems like i'm pretty much stuck with Virgin, i can't afford to get the wife her own phone and without wifi, Virgin is the best plan for my situation.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow, T-Mobile would be perfect for me, but since my wife is the big talker, without wifi I'd be screwed! Seems like i'm pretty much stuck with Virgin, i can't afford to get the wife her own phone and without wifi, Virgin is the best plan for my situation.
We both have one, so $50/month for service. But it's handy. That 100 minutes is still about 4-5x what I use... I might have to examine that plan if I come across another device worthy of it. Maybe something 3D and obsolete, for some reason I like obsolete.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
In the NYC area, there are plenty of people on Sprint/Boost/VM, so my 3G reception is generally good to awesome :). It only drops out in some hilly areas (Bloomfield, NJ is a good example), but otherwise good most of the time. I'm mostly on WiFi, and I usually preload some of my book/news/email apps before I leave the house, so I can even leave 3G off unless I really need it.

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
We both have one, so $50/month for service. But it's handy. That 100 minutes is still about 4-5x what I use... I might have to examine that plan if I come across another device worthy of it. Maybe something 3D and obsolete, for some reason I like obsolete.

Both the nexus 5 and moto x are terrific phones for the money - hundreds less than carrier phones with similar capability and you can buy either directly with no contract. Many roms available for both too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38