Toucanscrypt: Unlimited Apps!

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: Toucanscrypt is now v. 1.1! This is to account for the new partition layout of squid's internal build here. Although all modules have been changed to take this into account, I'm willing to do up a custom baked version for anyone using this with another rom or an earlier version of BigSuperRom. Just let me know!

Here it is! My script originally designed for KitKat on the Optimus S/V. It's got a new name, and I'm bumping it up to 1.0 1.1 after a major find and another major breakthrough! You can now install apps from play store without /data filling ANY from temp apk downloads. It was actually surprisingly hard to find where it stored those! Also, the entire /data/app folder can be temporarily (or permanently if desired) moved to SD. This allows you to install apps that are too large to fit internally, link them with Link2sd, and then return the folder to internal with the link intact! I know, epic right?!

*Goal*
The goal of Toucanscript is to maximize the app potential with older phones through unique use of the SD card. This is all done while balancing the benefits of extra internal space for apps with the benefits of running as much internally as possible.

*Here's what it does:*
Cache is moved to sd-ext, and thus the internal cache partition is empty.
App libraries are moved to /intextra which is the renamed empty cache partition. This frees space on the data partition to install larger apps (although total app size is limited only by the size of the sd-ext partition, individual apps still install internally before being linked, and thus apps larger than about 100 MB won't install). With a new script add-on, data partition size is no longer an issue!
Dalvik-cache is moved to sd-ext along with playstore temp downloads!
As space on the system partition is precious, /system/media, /system/tts, and /system/app are moved to /intextra as well. Thus, system apps still run off the internal, but they have some extra space. Future work to be done to allow /system/app to be temp moved to SD to allow the install of system apps which can be changed to user apps to save space.
A log of the script's actions with it's links and bind-mounts is created in /data/local entitled "linknlog" :) . Please send a copy of this log's contents with any support requests.​

*Here's how I recommend you install:*

Note: A fresh install is recommended (even for updated versions of the script as when things are moved between versions, a new version of the script points to where data should be after a fresh install, not to where it IS currently after being moved by previous versions of the script). It MAY work for you to flash the script after installing multiple apps, but it is not recommended as partition sizes are tight, and I'm unsure what would happen were a partition to fill during the copy process. If you wanna try, be my guest, but as always, nandroid first. My instructions thus assume you'll be starting fresh.

A couple *new* things before you start tho... Some have had issues with SELinux. As such, check settings-about phone-SELinux status to make sure it is permissive. If it's set to enforcing, you'll need the "SELinux mode changer" app (Not on play store--Google it). Also, I recommend having a terminal emulator app installed prior as well as "Storage Partitions" app. If you're using a rom other than squid's, you'll want to check the mount locations for system and cache. They should be blocks 6 and 1 respectively. You can use either the advanced tab in "Storage Partitions" or the "mount" command in terminal. If they are 5 and 1 you can use the version 1.1 alternate here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/76769933/Toucanscrypt-1.1alternate.zip
Verifying these may save some headaches later on.

1. Backup! Whatever you are currently using, you'll want to be able to revert to this should something go wrong. Nandroid first, then all SD contents (including the Nandroid) copied elsewhere (computer, external hard drive, etc.).
  2. Create a ext4 partition to be used by link2sd and the script. I recommend Gparted on a Linux OS, but I'm told mini-tool works on Windows (I've recently received conflicting reports; Gparted on Linux is your best bet). Your current recovery may offer an option to repartition your sd as well. I recommend 1.5-2GB. I've yet to fill 1GB, but could see where apps with large amounts of user data could fill it. You WILL NOT need more than 2GB. I've heard reports that smaller, lower-class SD cards should have less in a second partition. Mine is 32GB with a 2GB ext4. (or about 6% total SD size. I wouldn't go above 15%, but you're welcome to experiment.)
    REPARTITIONING WILL WIPE SD CONTENTS!
  3. Install squid's internal build here according to his recommendations, including rom zip, Sprint/Verizon fix if using it, and Skinny_4.4_Gapps_new_internal.zip (This was built for the last internal build [4.4.4]. I'm willing to do up a custom baked version for anyone using this with another rom or an earlier version of BigSuperRom. Just let me know! Realize however, that I can only really give support for the ROM I'm on. If you're interested on adding this script to another ROM, see below.).
  4. Install Link2SD from the play store. Open the app. It should ask what format your second partition is then ask you to reboot. Do so. After reboot, open Link2SD again to ensure it's working. I now recommend Link2SD's pro version. It's not necessary (in fact, I used the free version for years it seems), but the ability to link individual app's data is great!
  5. Download these. Keep them on your sd.
    Toucanscrypt-1.1.zip
    Wipecache.zip
    ToucanscryptUnlimited-Installer.zip
    ToucanscryptUnlimited-Uninstaller.zip
  6. Reboot into recovery. Flash "Toucanscrypt-1.1.zip". Reboot. Cache and dalvik will be rebuilt (Android is upgrading message).
  7. That's it. Link2SD gives partition details in it's options. Check if it worked. You can also use Partition Table from the app store under advanced settings (that's what I use). The logs created in /data/local also give some info.
  8. Begin moving apps to sd with Link2SD. I recommend moving most if not all apps over (except Link2SD itself of course) until you've installed what you want, then moving some back if desired. Also I personally like to change some system apps to user apps with Titanium Backup so that they can be moved as well. Titanium backup does seem to work slightly better unlinked on internal. Same with keyboards and anything that needs to speedily access a fair amount of data.
  9. *NEW* In order to get full unlimited app downloading benefits, at any time apps are still struggling to find space to install, flash ToucanscryptUnlimited-Installer.zip from recovery. Reboot, and then install or update any and all apps. When finished, flash the uninstaller (or, if you'd rather have the entire /data/app folder remain external, remove all links via Link2SD and remove the Link2SD program, as it is no longer necessary. You can then continue normal use free of size limitations, but with possible slight slowdown and extra sd wear.).

IMPORTANT NOTES

DO NOT WIPE CACHE AND DALVIK THROUGH RECOVERY. Instead I've included a zip to flash that will do it for you. Just flash "wipecache.zip" from recovery and it'll be taken care of for you during boot. Although I've not tried, wiping cache through the "Wipe cache" option in recovery might wipe the partition now labled /intextra that contains system apps. That would be bad...

Do not use Link2SD to move any libs or dalvik to sd; APPS ONLY. Libs and dalvik are already on sd or /intextra via the script, thus linking would only link them from a current sd (or /intextra) folder to a new one. If you have the paid version of Link2SD, you may want to try linking app data.

I'll leave it at that for now. Note that this is an experimental beta I created for myself (yet hope that others use and enjoy). Take all precautions necessary INCLUDING A NANDROID as I cannot be held responsible for loss of data, phone functionality, sanity, etc.

*USING THIS WITH OTHER ROMS*
If you'd like to add this to another ROM... just ask! You're almost guaranteed a "yes", but I'd like to know that it's being used somewhere else so I can make necessary tweaks, follow it's use, make sure I'm credited somewhere, make sure links to this thread are created so I can give whatever support I'm capable of for the other ROM, etc.

Knowing that you're using this brings me joy! :) Let me know!
Your financial support would bring me joy as well! :D

In all seriousness, I'm not even setup to receive anything, but this did (and still does) take a LOT of work to put together, so if you were blessed and would like to return a portion of that blessing, let me know. Do not do so, however, without supporting the authors of the ROMs themselves. They've put a lot of work into the ROMs that this script benefits from, as well as into the tech support for novices like myself that can't figure out how to do stuff. My thanks!

Suggestions are encouraged!

Last edited:

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Optimus V: Internal KitKat with mount scripts

CHANGE LOG

Current Version: 1.1 - 1/17/15
Toucanscrypt is now v. 1.1! This is to account for the new partition layout of squid's internal build. Although all modules have been changed to take this into account, I'm willing to do up a custom baked version for anyone using this with another rom or an earlier version of BigSuperRom. Just let me know!

1.0 - 6/19/14
It's got a new name, and I'm bumping it up to 1.0 after a major find and another major breakthrough! You can now install apps from play store without /data filling any from temp apk downloads. It was actually surprisingly hard to find where it stored those! Also, the entire /data/app folder can be temporarily (or permanently if desired) moved to SD. This allows you to install apps that are too large to fit internally, link them with Link2sd, and then return the folder to internal with the link intact! I know, epic right?!

0.4 - 04/21/14
This version modifies the SD tweaks from the last version for added stability, but yet keep the speed benefits. I've also added some general stability tweaks, cleaned out junk code, moved app-lib from sdext2 SD partition to /intextra (old cache) internal partition for added speed, stability, SD life, etc., and added one line to what is logged to ensure ext4 is mounted correctly with the speedups from the previous version. All-in-all, I'm about ready to call this my final version. Maybe a few more tweaks, but I really like where it is now, and am not sure what more to change with it until I get feedback from other users. If so, I'll bump it from alpha to beta, and maybe see if I can get this put into an app format so that you can make changes yourself to the script from within Android.

0.3 - 04/13/14
This version incorporates some SD tweaks into the file Link2SD uses to create the sdext2 partition. These are geared toward the ext4 filesystem and should increase speed as well as extend the life of your SD card. There is potential for loss of some data during a random reboot of data that had not had time to be written to the metta-file journal, so this is experimental, as this is allowed a lazier time frame. I'll be beta testing, and feel welcome to stick with 0.2 until such time as I know better what side-effects may come from the tweaks. I'd love to have some other beta testers as well! If you're using these, be sure to let me know in the comments below.

0.2 - 04/12/14

Just rolled out a new version of the scripts. These will prevent data being stored to /data/sdext2 located on the data partition instead of the external sdext2 partition mounted at that point. I didn't even know it was possible to have data on both simultaneously.

If you don't know what I'm talking about (sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about =p ) all you need to know is that now even more space is available in /data. I've removed the mount of /data/data to /int-extra/data as well considering all this extra space.

You should now be able to install system apps up to 100MB, and user apps of similar size (as long as you link most apps using Link2SD).

Here again are the files you need (they are up-to-date above as well):

Toucanscrypt-1.1.zip
Wipecache.zip
ToucanscryptUnlimited-Installer.zip
ToucanscryptUnlimited-Uninstaller.zip

ENJOY!

Last edited:

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Updated to 0.4! Very pleased!

Since this is neither the OS2SD nor is it really the internal build of bigsupersquid's ROM as it has SO much more functionality, I plan on posting apps used that really get this working at peak performance, as well as other pertaining info on this thread so users (if there are any yet) don't have to determine whether or not an internal or OS2SD post applies to them or not.

I would LOVE for someone else to try this and post info. I've been running this (and loving it) as my daily on my (only) phone for nearly a month now, but I'd really like to share this innovative approach to running new Android on old phones, and can't do much to make it better without feedback (I do like to talk to myself often, but I don't think that really counts =p ).

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Fixing to try today. Will let you know how it goes today or tomorrow. I have one big app of 100MBs which installs with the external KitKat. If it installs with this script, I'll be happier than an owl at a mouseburger picknick

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Fixing to try today. Will let you know how it goes today or tomorrow. I have one big app of 100MBs which installs with the external KitKat. If it installs with this script, I'll be happier than an owl at a mouseburger picknick

Lol, I hope it works! Try installing that app before any others if you can. At the very least move every app possible using Link2SD first, then install after a reboot as that's usually when /data has the most space. You should have JUST enough space if it's not much over 100MB.

Let me know if any directions aren't clear, if anything messes up, or even if the app won't install because of space limitations. Your plight gave me an idea for installing bigger apps that we can try if needed.

Thanks for giving it a try. I hope you love it as much as I!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Worked great.
Installed Link2SD before flashing Gapps so I could create the mount script. Selected Auto install from the settings.
Deleted as many preinstalled apps as I could.
Worked so good the Bible app downloaded the rest of the bibles (5 more). Great for research, but this filled up the internal storage (total size after everything was installed was 256mb). Of course this gave me a low internal storage warning.

Alright if all I wanted installed was the bible app.

Oh well. At least I know the script works great.

Posted via Android Central App

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Worked great.
Installed Link2SD before flashing Gapps so I could create the mount script. Selected Auto install from the settings.
Deleted as many preinstalled apps as I could.
Worked so good the Bible app downloaded the rest of the bibles (5 more). Great for research, but this filled up the internal storage (total size after everything was installed was 256mb). Of course this gave me a low internal storage warning.

Alright if all I wanted installed was the bible app.

Oh well. At least I know the script works great.

Great! Glad to hear it's working!
Sounds like your Bible app didn't leave you with enough room, tho, if I understand you right. Do you have it linked? If so there should be a very small app footprint internally (if any).

Do try a reboot. It sometimes seems new apps leave some install data on internal that a reboot takes care of.
Also, let me know the app name and I'll try it on mine. If it doesn't work for me, I'll make whatever changes I need to to the script to get it working. If this app won't work, there's bound to be others that take up too much internal space for a similar reason, and fixing this may prevent future issues with large internal data apps.

I've personally used both the standard "Bible"app from youversion and "MySword" (my favorite, currently installed with many Bibles and commentaries). I've yet to have space issues with them.

Also (off topic) glad to hear you're a Bible believer! I'm occupied as a teacher in a small Christian school. Would love to talk Bible with ya sometime! I'll pm you my e-mail address if you're interested.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Screenshot_2014-04-22-18-30-16.png
I do have the old launcher working again. Here's a screenie with my favorite widget showing partition free space as well. Great for these scripts: Elixer Widget.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I reboot the phone anytime I install large apps over 10MB and up.
It just takes up all space in the data folder.
I am an ordained minister of the word of God.
I always enjoy sharing scripture with others. A good one to start with is Revelation 19:11 thru 20:15
The truth exposes all falsehoods and translation errors. I don't interpret the word of God. I let the scripture interpret the scripture.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Which app is it? I'll monkey with it and see what I can do with the script.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

JW Library. It has a feature that allows you to select a scripture, then it will display 5 different bibles versions of that scripture. Pretty cool If I can get it to work on the V and still have room for all my other apps (80+).
Will have to talk further about spiritual things using Hangouts or E-Mail. To easy to derail thread.
To get back on topic (Sorry, I'm sort of like Jeremiah, can't hold it in):
Can I incorporate your script into my MOD of the SlimRom (Bean_Whiz)? I could then post two versions. One with your script for those who already have a partition on their SD card, and one without for those who don't want to use an ext.script.
Will give thanks to you and post link to this thread of course.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

JW Library. It has a feature that allows you to select a scripture, then it will display 5 different bibles versions of that scripture. Pretty cool If I can get it to work on the V and still have room for all my other apps (80+).
Will have to talk further about spiritual things using Hangouts or E-Mail. To easy to derail thread.
To get back on topic (Sorry, I'm sort of like Jeremiah, can't hold it in):
Can I incorporate your script into my MOD of the SlimRom (Bean_Whiz)? I could then post two versions. One with your script for those who already have a partition on their SD card, and one without for those who don't want to use an ext.script.
Will give thanks to you and post link to this thread of course.

Absolutely! The more people using it the merrier. I'll probably add something about similar situations in the first post, to make that clear to anyone else interested. Do be sure and point any questions/comments that are script related to this thread as well. Haven't monkeyed with JW Library yet, but plan to in the near future. Was thinking of adding a one time use script that would move /data/app and /data/user/0 to external temporarily so that a large app could be installed. The link could be then created and when things are reverted, the link would remain, and the app would be in the proper place.

Also, I'm simply interested to know what is taking up the space in JW Library. I really expected Link2SD to take care of everything. I'm currently using Link2SD's free version, but I might get the paid app to see if it has the ability to move whatever is remaining internal.

Thanks for being my pioneer tester. I think this has a lot of potential!

P.S. I'm also looking forward to speaking with you via email! Feel free to send something whenever, including prayer request updates. I'll be sending shortly as well.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Bean_Whiz ROM (Jellybean). Link2SD and your script. I have 82 downloaded apps (some over 20MBs) and still have 141.86MBs of 178.87MB internal storage space left.
I liiiike it!
I guess I need to see if it works with MiRaGe (Gingerbread) next.

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
comparision of techniques using external storage for system directories

Can someone please explain to me how this is different from things like mounts2sd, mount2sd, and link2sd and who knows how many other techniques of linking to stuff on the sdcard?

And then there is os2sd by the devs here! Am I correct in my understanding that the difference here is that the recovery is doing the linking of external storage to system directories?

Is the only difference which filesystems are linked to external storage and when?

What we really need would be a comparison table to compare the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods/techniques. Is anyone up to doing a writeup?

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
With Toucan4267's script the cache is moved to the SD ext. When done in connection with Link2SD it allows you to download and install larger apps, plus gives you the ability to have more apps installed with less internal storage space used
Still not as good as OS2SD for allowing install of super large apps, but, you don't have to create 3 partitions on the SD card which means you can still restore other backups. OS2SD won't let you install other backups from ROMs that used an SD ext script like Link2SD ( You can still restore backups that don't use an SD ext script).
Once you make those 3 partitions you are severely limited in what you can do.

Last edited:

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

With Toucan4267's script the cache is moved to the SD ext. When done in connection with Link2SD it allows you to download and install larger apps, plus gives you the ability to have more apps installed with less internal storage space used
Still not as good as OS2SD for allowing install of super large apps, but, you don't have to create 3 partitions on the SD card which means you can still restore other backups. OS2SD won't let you install other backups from ROMs that used an SD ext script like Link2SD ( You can still restore backups that don't use an SD ext script).
Once you make those 3 partitions you are severely limited in what you can do.

Andy put it pretty well. This is really just a Link2SD enhancer. The main reason I created it was that although Link2SD moved apps, the cache partition would fill, and there was thus still a low ceiling as far as how many/how big of apps you could install. Sure, you could use Link2SD to link dalvik-cache files, but that still doesn't do enough, and then if you happened to clear cache and dalvik from recovery, the links get destroyed, and are rebuilt internally, meaning hours of fixing with force closes, low space warnings, etc.etc.etc.

This script moves cache and dalvik to sd, provides an easy means of wiping them to keep things running at peak performance, moves some of system to sd to allow for plenty of system apps (like Google now), and gives the system partition the space it needs to just plain work right, all while at the same time keeping as many things as possible on internal memory for increased speed, sd card life, and stability (all in theory), it requires only the partition already created by Link2SD, gives the flexibility of choosing to link or not link certain apps, is far easier to set up than OS2SD, and is not as "risky" per se. About the only disadvantage I can think of is the lack of user interface. Other than that of Link2SD (which I still find very useful) with choice of which apps to move, there's no other user interaction--it just does it's thing (which I guess some people like anyway).

troyguitarman

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Did you read and pray it works lol. I am up grading from cyanogen 7.1 my playstore is messed up and non e of my **####* functions work been a long time since i flashed. i still have all the files from previous build. Does the external kitkat 4.4.2 preform better than the internal? Internal seems easier. Now i have to learn more apps, i am sure it will be worth it. Thanks for your work i know how flash roms and gapps, hopefully it wiil work fine "optimus v" Is wifi hotspot work hope so i may not make it back for awhile! Peace Troy

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Did you read and pray it works lol. I am up grading from cyanogen 7.1 my playstore is messed up and non e of my **####* functions work been a long time since i flashed. i still have all the files from previous build. Does the external kitkat 4.4.2 preform better than the internal? Internal seems easier. Now i have to learn more apps, i am sure it will be worth it. Thanks for your work i know how flash roms and gapps, hopefully it wiil work fine "optimus v" Is wifi hotspot work hope so i may not make it back for awhile! Peace Troy

Hey Troy,
Trying to understand everything you said there. Yes, make site you read everything here or stuff could get messed up (as is the case with every experimental build). Internal is easier, and should theoretically perform better. I've not used external so I can't actually compare. There are some trade-offs. This was built to eliminate some of them. This does work on both the V and S. (Wish I knew how to correct the title.) Hotspot does work. Even if you are familiar with flashing, make site you read as the order of flashing is important. Enjoy!

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Internal has little to no lag when opening up apps. External on the other had is still a little laggy in this area.

External will allow you to install Huge apps (200MBs, maybe more), Internal with Toucan4267's script will allow you to do the same, but there will be little to no room for anything else.

Toucan4267 is working on improvemts to his script that will allow for big apps and all the rest.

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

So, we still need to use link2sd with this, right? I also noticed that link2sd now has to be purchased for $2.35 to have access to all the features:

Plus features:
- Links internal data directory of the apps to SD card **
- Links dex files of the system apps to SD card
- Auto clear cache service
- Removes ads from Link2SD​

mounts2sd still seems to be completely free - has anyone here tried it on this phone with this ROM?

p.s. I ordered the new model Moto G to try out on the $30 t-mobile plan because of the two big changes they just made to it - adding LTE and a removable memory card up to 32 GB (although they also reduced the internal memory from 16 GB to 8 GB). The price went up from $180 to $220 for the new version. I ordered it from Amazon and it should be here around the first week of next month. I'll decide if it's worth keeping within the 30 day return period and report back. It comes with kitkat and unlocked. The reviews on the other models were exceptional 4.5 out of 5 stars based on over 1,400 reviews.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1