Toucanscrypt: Unlimited Apps!

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So I'm trying to install the Bean Whiz Rom from AndyOpie150's (RIP!) instructions (Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 05/02/2014) on my VM670, previously running Mirage but I did the full wipe he recommended. The install instructions on page 3 tell me to download Wipecache.zip and install it. However, the recovery reported "E:Error in /sdcard/Wipecache.zip (Status 0)" and "Installation aborted." Did you update this file so that it no longer works with the Bean Whiz?

When the above failed, I figured I'd try your whole package and I downloaded all of your files, put them on the sd card, and tried to use the recovery to flash "Toucanscrypt-1.1.zip." Same problem, same result.

This is only the 2nd ROM I've ever tried to do (the first was the Mirage ROM, and the process went smoothly) so I don't have any troubleshooting experience or any idea what would happen if I tried to start my phone normally. Since it's a spare wi-fi-only phone, I'm going to leave it off at this step of the install so I don't do anything horrible to it. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me, and if you need data from me just let me know (in baby-talk would be safest :) ) and I'll provide what you need. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
So I'm trying to install the Bean Whiz Rom from AndyOpie150's (RIP!) instructions (Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 05/02/2014) on my VM670, previously running Mirage but I did the full wipe he recommended. The install instructions on page 3 tell me to download Wipecache.zip and install it. However, the recovery reported "E:Error in /sdcard/Wipecache.zip (Status 0)" and "Installation aborted." Did you update this file so that it no longer works with the Bean Whiz?

When the above failed, I figured I'd try your whole package and I downloaded all of your files, put them on the sd card, and tried to use the recovery to flash "Toucanscrypt-1.1.zip." Same problem, same result.

This is only the 2nd ROM I've ever tried to do (the first was the Mirage ROM, and the process went smoothly) so I don't have any troubleshooting experience or any idea what would happen if I tried to start my phone normally. Since it's a spare wi-fi-only phone, I'm going to leave it off at this step of the install so I don't do anything horrible to it. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for me, and if you need data from me just let me know (in baby-talk would be safest :) ) and I'll provide what you need. Thanks in advance!

Hey, here's what I think you need. This is a little tricky, but is more Windows knowledge than android. Download the file you flashed to install Bean Whiz to a Windows computer. Open it by double clicking to see what's inside. Inside the meta-inf/com/google/android folder, there should be an update-binary file. Copy that into the similar folder in my scripts file to replace that file.
That should fix the installation error. However, don't install yet. We need to double check that partitions haven't changed since he installed, and I think they have. I have an app called "storage partitions" that would give that info. You can get it off play store. Once you're to this point, let me know and I'll give further instruction.

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I've done both steps. It appears that the sd partition I made with ZenGarden (1.43gb on a 16g card) is ok, I only have two external partitions listed and nine internal (about which I'm clueless). Just let me know what you're looking for. I appreciate the help!

Also, will I be able to use your program on my Mirage Rom phone? Will I need to make the binary swap as instructed above?

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Great! Here's the info I need from you: go into the advanced tab of "Storage Partitions" and look at the partition labels. The script works right when they're in this order: mydblock0 boot, 1 cache, 2 recovery, 5 userdata, 6 system. The rest aren't really relevant. If those match and you've done the binary swap, then it should work with any rom and you can go ahead and flash it. If yours is different, let me know and I'll custom mod the script for your rom.

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
My Bean Whiz VM670 says 5 is system and 6 is userdata. Is there a way to change this on my end, so you don't have to go to the trouble of a custom file?

Unfortunately, "Storage Partitions" doesn't work with my VM670 Mirage ROM (2.3.7) phone. I downloaded AParted since it was the first response to my "Storage Partitions" search, but it doesn't seem to do what you/I need. Is there another way I can determine if my Mirage phone is set up properly? In a bit of serendipity, I got blocked from downloading a 50mb app because I only have 67mb of free space on it, so I'm willing to backup and do a clean install in order to use your program. Or should I just roll the dice with it and see if your program works as-is?

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
My Bean Whiz VM670 says 5 is system and 6 is userdata. Is there a way to change this on my end, so you don't have to go to the trouble of a custom file?

Unfortunately, "Storage Partitions" doesn't work with my VM670 Mirage ROM (2.3.7) phone. I downloaded AParted since it was the first response to my "Storage Partitions" search, but it doesn't seem to do what you/I need. Is there another way I can determine if my Mirage phone is set up properly? In a bit of serendipity, I got blocked from downloading a 50mb app because I only have 67mb of free space on it, so I'm willing to backup and do a clean install in order to use your program. Or should I just roll the dice with it and see if your program works as-is?

There is a way to do so, but it is something I've never attempted and is rather difficult. It would be better for me to just do a second script version as squid's optimus s/v rom is unusual (although in a "better" sort of unusual). Most ROMs should follow the pattern of the new script I wrote, so it should in theory benefit more than just you.
As for your second question, download "terminal emulator" app and type "mount" (no quotes). Will be an overload of info, but you should be able to find it in there. Let me know. I will likewise after I make the new script version.

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the file! Unfortunately, trying the modded Wipecache didn't work, nor did trying a full Toucanscrypt install with the modified files. I'm going to reinstall the Bean Whiz ROM from scratch and try again using your new files only, to see if the previous attempts caused problems.

In the meantime, I tried to use the terminal emulator on my Mirage phone for the data you requested, but it's all jibberish to me. I THINK it is what you require (5 is data, 6 is system) but since I didn't see any of the other stuff I saw using your program I'm hoping you can take a look at the results and confirm that I'm gtg:

screenshot-Toucanscrypt.png

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I didn't get to reply. Up I the mountains all data outta cell signal. When you reinstall from scratch, try just the modified Toucanscrypt alternate, not the wipecatch or others as they may need some editing to work as well. As far as your mirage phone, it looks like it should run fine with the default files. Give it a shot! Won't know till you try as no one to my knowledge has tried it with Mirage yet!
Edit: Oh! And don't forget to do the update-binary swap first for Bean. After we confirm it works, I'll have you send my a copy of the file, and then I'll post a specific alternate for the rom. Different ROMs sometimes just require a different update-binary. Mirage may or may not require you to do the same thing.

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
OK, at this point I'm pretty sure it isn't me. I've done multiple clean installs, repeated pasting in the binary file in case I screwed that up, every variable I could think of was tracked and checked. Was I supposed to copy the "update-binary" file into all of the Toucan files, or just Wipecache.zip? In any case, after repeated failures to install, I made a modded copy of each file and tried those too. When I tried the alternate file you so kindly provided, it said:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/Toucanscrypt-1.1alternate.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

When I tried the alternate file that I pasted the binary into, and pretty much every other file I tried, it just said:

Installing update...
Installation aborted.

It is not outside the realm of reality that I screwed this up somehow, but I have no idea where my error would be. Do you have any other suggestions?

(I'm waiting until I see how this works on my spare phone before I try it on the one I actually use daily. But I appreciate the effort and thinking behind this whole thing, so I will do it eventually. I may also be able to get my hands on a rooted Optimus F3, so I can provide another test bed for you. I apologize I can't contribute knowledge, but I can certainly follow instructions (don't tell my GF I said that, she may disagree)).

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
try just the modified Toucanscrypt alternate, not the wipecatch or others as they may need some editing to work as well.

Sorry you missed this from my previous post. If you flashed anything else, that's probably why it's messed up. I'll need to create a version of each to work with your specific setup, but I need to know whether the alternate Toucanscrypt itself works before I waste time rewriting all the others if it still needs some tweaking.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
What you need to do is binary swap into the Toucanscrypt alternate, then run just that (make sure if you're using bigsupersquid's recovery, that it's set to internal rather than os2sd). I'll try the alternate on my phone to see if anything else may be messed up, and then reflash the original so I don't Bjork up my phone :). Will let you know how that turns out.

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Nope, I caught that. At least the error message for that one had some information, although I have no idea if it means anything to you. The rest of them just didn't work. I'll try it again, and I will only use your unaltered-by-me alternate file - what I'm doing is, when I reach the spot in the instructions (this site won't let me post a link yet, but the androidcentral page I'm using is titled "[ROM][MOD][THEME] Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 05/02/2014") where he says to install wipecache.zip, I use your alternate file instead. I didn't try anything else in my previous runs until I had used your alternate file that I had downloaded. I'll do another clean install now and I'll report back.

EDIT: Just saw your other message. I'm using the flashable CWMTRecovery_5.0.2.7-th7_thunderc from that thread. I'll re-download your alternate and re-paste in the binary.

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
No dice. It just says:

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Installation aborted.

This was a fresh install, and I used the recovery to try to flash the modded (with the binary file) alternate file you provided in post 48.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded and flashed it myself and it worked without a hitch, so file's fine. That says the issue is in a incompatibility, or file corruption between download and flash. Either way, update-binary should be the answer, as swapping should fix incompatibility and it's the only step where the file might have gotten messed up. I've also be reading about the error 0 and it can be caused be recovery settings as well. You might flashing with Signature Verification off, and with /system and or /data mounted or unmounted as this fixed things for some I read about. Without having the same setup you do, I'm kinda stuck troubleshooting without being able to test for myself.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Good question. Since that hasn't fixed things yet, and I never read about AndyOpie ever doing so, you can probably do without. I would double check that signature verification is off, and that system and data are unmounted, then try flashing without swapping binaries. If that doesn't work, swap binaries, rinse, repeat.

scottp51

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Aah, didn't realize I didn't have to keep reflashing. I already lost an sd card that I had repurposed from my SanDisk player on Wed. Was probably a decade old anyway.

Now that I know I can carefully play around inside the recovery, I discovered a log file. When I viewed the log file, it said:

0 /tmp ramdisk (null) (null)
1 /boot mtd boot (null)
2 /cache yaffs2 cache (null)
3 /data yaffs2 userdata (null)
4 /misc mtd misc (null)
5 /recovery mtd recovery (null)
6 /sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /dev/block/mmcblk0
7 /sd-ext auto /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (null)
8 /system yaffs2system (null)

Since you said that "The script works right when they're in this order: mydblock0 boot, 1 cache, 2 recovery, 5 userdata, 6 system," it looks to me like all of my settings are different than your directions...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali