Why root your phone?

JimReid

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Could someone please explain the reason/benefits for the rooting of your phone and what it gains you vs messing up your phone so it doesn't work?

Is this more like getting to the root in Lynx?

Not being Lynx person this is all very confusing to me and scary.

:)

JimR

djyellowperil

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you're asking. root access on android is like root access linux, mainly because android runs on a modified version of the linux kernel.

If you have questions as to whether or not you should root your phone, I would say you should not do it until you have a reason to do it. If there is a function you feel you want and in order to get that feature you have to root then that would be the point at which you start thinking about rooting. Notice I said start thinking about it.

Rooting your phone comes at a risk. You could brick it and now you have a paper wait. you could lose access to it for however long it takes you to uneff whatever you effed up. you could lose some other function you took for granted. the list of risks goes on and on and you have to weigh that against the potential gains from rooting. I root my phone because I like to tinker and I like things my way not but I will NOT root my wife's phone or more accurately jailbreak her phone because she's happy with it the way it is.

Hope that answers your question. I know you wanted someone to hold you hand but you really need to do the research yourself so that it's your knowledge and it's your phone.

Any relation to John E. Reid?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Could someone please explain the reason/benefits for the rooting of your phone and what it gains you vs messing up your phone so it doesn't work?

Is this more like getting to the root in Lynx?

Not being Lynx person this is all very confusing to me and scary.

:)

JimR

Yes, rooting is the process of gaining super user permissions so that you can change any/all aspects of the system.

Once you have root, you can install a custom ROM, or make other changes to your phones firmware.

Pros -- Allows you to load apps from anywhere, you can change settings that are normally locked down by the firmware, gives you added functionality and increased performance (with a possible decrease in battery life)

Cons -- Slight chance of bricking your phone (very slight, this is all well documented), voids your warranty (though people still have been able to return rooted phones), may loose certain features that were included in the manufacturer's ROM (with aospCM7, we have no MMS).

So do the pros outweigh the cons? That's a question for each person to answer. The added functionality and performance are something I wouldn't give up.

(BTW - it is 100% legal, the courts ruled on the issue last year)

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I root my phone because I like to tinker and I like things my way not but I will NOT root my wife's phone or more accurately jailbreak her phone because she's happy with it the way it is.
djyellowperil- I was the same way until last weekend my wife asked me to make her optimus faster. I told her the only way was to root it and oc it so I did, and now she is happy. I just have to keep reminding her not to accept OTA updates if for any reason VM releases a patch or update.

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think one of the big things to consider is that rooting the phone is very trivial and allows you to run backup programs so you can make sure your data is protected. Rooting the phone can be done very easily, and there are good guides on how to do it. It is unlikely you will 'brick your phone' simply from rooting it. Flashing custom roms is an entirely different matter from getting root on the phone, that distinction is an important one to make. You need to get root to flash roms, but you don't need to flash roms if you're happy with the stock set-up. Make sense?

xabbott

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a good summary on the topic. From the Android subreddit:
This post addresses the pros and cons of rooting. I do not advocate for the rooting or flashing of custom ROMs in any sense. Instead, I am providing this information for people to make somewhat educated decisions from information readily accessible in this community and others.

PRO
To begin, "rooting" gives you full access to system files and more control over your phone. For instance, you can add custom themes, change your recovery image, alter your bootloader, alter the "toolboxes" so the Linux system operates more efficiently, and add Linux Binaries.

After you root you will be able to put special apps on your phone such as Super User which allows certain apps to access root privileges. Once you have Super User, you can install and use other apps to control the start ups of other apps, limit the running of certain memory draining apps to increase battery life and responsiveness, and install either wired tethering or wifi tethering. Also, finally, you can download an app that reboots your phone for you. More apps and discussion of apps can be found [3] here

Another great tool through rooting is you can backup your files and ROM onto your SD card.

Also, through rooting you have the opportunity to dramatically change the look and feel of your phone. As mentioned above you can install customized themes onto your phone. Another great advantage is you can install custom made ROMs, kernels, and other files to enhance the way your phone works, looks, and feels.

CONS
Before doing any rooting, flashing of custom ROMs, radios, etc, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure that they are compatible with your phone. Otherwise you WILL end up with a brick. And before attempting flashing of any ROM, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS perform a backup with ROM Manager or any other method your prefer. As a quick and final note, NEVER PULL THE DAMN BATTERY WHEN FLASHING ANYTHING!! IT WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE!

There are a few cons to rooting. Should you decide to do a "full root", meaning unlocking system so you can flash custom ROMs, your warranty will most likely be voided with both your cell carrier and phone manufacturer. This is perhaps the number one reason why you should not root. It is important to remember that almost everything is recoverable and fixable so long as you follow all directions listed by the developers of the ROM or root method.
But, thanks to a significant increase in "one click root" methods, the issues incurred during root have dropped significantly. However, remember the admonitions given at the beginning of this section, make sure your phone and software version is supported before doing anything.

Another con is that rooting your phone does not guarantee an enjoyable experience. Meaning, you do not need to root your phone to continue to be miserable or to love your phone even more. The bottom line is that you may root and realize you hate it.

A big con is you cannot accept OTA (Over the Air) updates pushed to your phone from your cell carrier. If you accept the OTA update, you will lose root. In order to maintain root, you need to wait until the rooted OTA is available then flash it. However, it is possible to maintain root while flashing an OTA. It all depends on your device and cell provider.

Still Undecided?
Think it over. If you actually read this entire post and still have questions whether or not to do it -- ask.

Reactions: cmerlyn and Eollie

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
OTA updates are not rooted. You need to reroot after accepting an OTA. For the Optimus V, we don't get OTAs because Virgin doesn't like updating us, although we recently received a security update that broke root.

P.s. this thread is very old.

Sent via the Postal Service

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You can unroot and return to stock. Read the stickies before you do anything. The one by kdz called unbrick/upgrade gives directions for returning to stock.

sellersj27

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Just read everything you can find....and then read it again and ask questions before you do it. The v is very easy to root and tweak to exactly what you want. The community behind the v is the best. I'd you screw something up, help is always right here.
That being said.....I find it extremely addicting. There is no way I could buy a phone run stock on it. I now research my potential new phones here to make sure there are good ROMS before I buy them!

Sent from my HTC One V using Android Central Forums

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Just read everything you can find....and then read it again and ask questions before you do it. The v is very easy to root and tweak to exactly what you want. The community behind the v is the best. I'd you screw something up, help is always right here.
That being said.....I find it extremely addicting. There is no way I could buy a phone run stock on it. I now research my potential new phones here to make sure there are good ROMS before I buy them!

Sent from my HTC One V using Android Central Forums

Absolutely agreed and well said! ;)
Whenever I replace the OV I will be certainly be doing the same.

ski522

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
You can unroot and return to stock. Read the stickies before you do anything. The one by kdz called unbrick/upgrade gives directions for returning to stock.
LOL...don't think I've ever heard of anyone being unhappy after rooting...if anything it's usually the "why didn't I do this sooner" response!