Data settings for Consumer Cellular

criscastro

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Rush,

I have an unlocked Motorola Atrix MB860 and am using consumer cellular. Just got the phone and CC is sending me their SIM card.

Does anyone have the specific settings to use on this phone? I have read all the posts, but none seem to specifically address this phone.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. This is my first smart phone and I am a 72 year old new user.

Cris

girbabe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Cris, there isn't a specific setting for each phone type. It's pretty basic but you may have to tweak the settings which most everyone else has done here to get data working. You can also download the Tweaker app which should also provide the correct settings as it did for my Galaxy Note 2.

criscastro

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Data settings for Consumer Cellular with a Motorola Atrix MB860

Thanks to all who helped me set up my unlocked Morotola Atrix MB860 to work with Consumer Cellular.
I tried all the combnations that you sent me, but couldn't find one that would let me do Internet access. I finally called Consumer Cellular 5 different times until I got the most wonderful and helpful customer service rep who went out of her way to stay on the phone with me for over an hour until we found the right combination of entries. The phone works just fine now, so here are the final results of our efforts. Please let me know if these worked for you too!

First, call Consumer Cellular and have them text you the settings that they have to set up a new APN for a Motorola phone. When you get the text, just follow the instructions to download it to your Access point names file. The APN name will most likely be Consumer Cellular. After you have completed the download, do the following: press SETTINGS, Wireless & networks, Mobile networks, and Access point names. You should see a name for Consumer Cellular. Open this APN. Make sure that each of the following is as listed below. Where I have said to (leave blank), it means not to enter anything. DO NOT type in the words "leave blank"! If Consumer Cellular has given you a different entry in the text message download, change it to what is below.

Name: Consumer Cellular
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com
Port: 80
Username: (leave blank)
Password: (leave blank)
Server: (leave blank)
MMSC: (leave blank)
MMS proxy: proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: (leave blank)
APN type: default,mms,supl,agps,fota
APN protocol: IPv4

After you complete the above entries, go bak one screen to the APN list and touch the Consumer Cellular name to highlight the circle to the right of the name. That will select this APN as the one to open when you access the internet. Consumer Cellular recommended then a hard shut off of the phone. Then turn it on and turn off any WiFi connection that might be on just so you can test the new APN without the phone trying to select any WiFi system first. If you can now connect to the internet, you can then turn any WiFi back on so the phone can automatically choose which one to use.

Hope this helps. Do let me know.

Cris Castro
cris-castro@live.com

sfrye65

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site

Just signed up with consumer cellular two weeks ago. I purchased a used (but mint) Pantech Burst (unlocked GSM) and a used (but mint) Samsung Focus Flash (unlocked GSM) from reputable Ebay stores. Meanwhile, I ordered a couple of free SIM cards from CC and signed up for a plan (voice, text, data) and added the second line. I installed the SIM cards into the phones... and had voice and text right away. I'm usually in wifi all day - so it took me a few days to realize that I didn't have data yet (I'm new to smartphones). I read these threads added/edited APN accordingly.... and nothing. No data. I called CC and got someone on the phone who registered my Pantech Burst IMEI with CC and also sent me a self-install application that created an APN with the correct settings on my phone. Had to turn off/on the phone and...perfect. 4G data. He also registered the other phone's IMEI (had the number... didn't have the phone at the time). When I got home I adjusted the APN settings on the second phone (Samsung Focus Flash) per a glance at the APN set-up on my Pantech Burst... I then turned phone off then on... and... perfect. 4G data.

Two things..

(a) you have to talk with a CC rep and make sure they register your IMEI with their network if you're using your own unlocked or AT&T GSM phone; and
(b) the settings that ultimately worked (provided by the CC rep) are slightly different than some of the settings provided in this thread. Almost exactly the same... with a slight variation here or there - so, save yourself the frustration and talk to a CC rep... or email them your IMEI and the list of APN settings on your phone, and they'll register your phone and email you back the correct settings for your phone.

jwjohnson3454

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

I have a Motorola Atrix 4g and spent what seems like hours trying to setup up my mms. Data was not an issue but sending/receiving mulit-media was. I tried everything except calling Consumer Cellular. So I called them. Told them my problem. They asked for my IMEI number. Gave it to them. The Atrix 4G is capable of having its Wireless Web updated automatically. They sent me the files. I clicked them on, entered the pin number they sent by email and within seconds data/multimedia works without an issue.

I guess the old saying that is if doesn't work the first time, read the instructions. In this case, call Consumer Cellular. They were pleasant and easy to work with. I had to call them back a second time because my wife has the same phone. They sent the files out and I auto installed them and she is a happy woman.

veezknight

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Defy running 2.2.1. The settings indicated by yamillrx got my phone working to send and receive messages, but Internet still will not work. I also added "default,mms" as the APN Type instead of "not set" but that does nothing to improve the situation. This utter confusion over settings with respect to Consumer Cellular is apparently why CC is so much less expensive than T-Mobile. Ultimately I will have to toss a perfectly good Defy and buy a $150 cheapo smartphone from CC in order to get full functionality. Does anyone remember when a telephone in the kitchen cost $5.00/month. Arghhhh.

Haywire7

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
csventres,

THANK YOU, Thank you! Buy-you-a-drink-thank-you! This worked perfectly for a Pantech Burst P9070 running ICS! CC hit my phone with an APN after providing them my phones isn number, but they did NOT set up the 2nd APN for mms. Therefore, still no pictures, until I applied your fix! Sweet!

swmii

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought an ATT Avail, running 2.3.4, to use with CC and had a bit of an adventure getting it to work with internet. I called CC and they registered the phone and helped me setup a new APN. The problem I had was while it would connect to the new apn it wouldn't stay on it and it kept falling back to the ATT WAP apn and lose connection. In the end I had to down load an app from the market place called APN Manager Pro ($1.39). I used that to edit the ATT WAP apn, which is normally uneditable. I set it as follows

APN - att.mvno
Proxy - 66.209.11.32
Port - 80
Username - <not set>
Password - <not set>
Server - http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC - http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy - 66.209.11.32
MMS port - 80
MCC - 310
MNC - 410
Authentication type - PAP or CHAP
APN Type - default, supl,admin,mms, hipri

Since then I've been able to use the phone, internet, sms and mms without issue :)

barbie517

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Consumer Cellular APN / Data settings

The above settings work, however I discovered that I have to turn off my WIFI and turn on my data connection to get pictures to download when attached to a text. Hooray!!!!!! Glad I figured that out!

Last edited:

Blanster

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
SWMII, you just saved me $150! As a fairly new Consumer Cellular customer, I was ready to buy a new phone because my #$%^@&% AT&T LG phone kept returning to the AT&T Access Point every time I turned it off, and sometimes even when I didn't turn it off. What a pain! I tried and tried to figure out what to do (via multiple Google sessions). Today I stumbled on your recommendation about APN Manager Pro. For $1.39, I was able to delete the old AT&T Access Point (after much diddling around with the program) and now it only has CC access points stored. I kept turning my phone off and on, just to make sure it would really stick this time. And so far (fingers crossed) it is! So thank you, you made my day!!!

pdhski

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Dhofer02: I have a Motorola Bravo I picked up off ebay . It was not CC issued, but your setting absolutely worked. Many thanks for this info!!!

Last edited:

anon(72777)

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have two different unlocked phones on Consumer Cellular: Blu Elite 3.8 dual sim unlocked with Android 2.3 and a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini with Android 4.1.2. Consumer Cellular was unable to provide the right APNs for both phones. With the help of this forum I was able to get internet and mms working with the following settings.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini:
Name - Consumer Cellular
APN - att.mvno
Proxy - Not set
Port - Not set
Username - <not set>
Password - <not set>
MMS proxy - 66.209.11.32
MMS port - 80
MCC - 310
MNC - 410
Authentication type - PAP or CHAP
APN Type - internet + mms
APN protocol - IPv4
Bearer: unspecified

Blu Elite 3.8
Name - Consumer Cellular
APN - att.mvno
Proxy - Not set
Port - Not set
Username - <not set>
Password - <not set>
MMS proxy - 66.209.11.32
MMS port - 80
MCC - 310
MNC - 410
IP Version - IP
Authentication type - PAP or CHAP/PAP (CHAP preference)
APN Type - <Not set>
APN protocol - IPv4

Hope this helps someone else.

fpra

May 9, 2013
Visit site
swmii --- OMG! You are a genius! I knew someone somewhere had the answer to get Android 2.3.4 to work with CC. Thank you!:cool:

Bob Beaubien

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
On a Samsung Galaxy Exhilirate with Android 4.0.4 (unlocked)I managed to get both my MMS and Internet to work with Consumer Cellular using a single APN with the following settings:

Name - Consumer Cellular
APN - att.mvno
Proxy - proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com
Port - 80
Username - <not set>
Password - <not set>
Server - <not set>
MMS proxy - proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com
MMS port - 80
MCC - 310
MNC - 410
Authentication type - PAP
APN Type - internet + mms
APN protocol - IPv4
Bearer: unspecified

PZ

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I seem to be having trouble with many of the apn's that have been given here. Im running Cyanogenmond Rc4 with a Galaxy Nexus and my CC sim is not gibing any 3g. TBH i dont care about mms but what can i do to get the 3g working here?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I seem to be having trouble with many of the apn's that have been given here. Im running Cyanogenmond Rc4 with a Galaxy Nexus and my CC sim is not gibing any 3g. TBH i dont care about mms but what can i do to get the 3g working here?

Hi PZ, what model Galaxy Nexus do you have? I did some quick looking around and Consumer Cellular is working off of AT&T's network. You can be using a device that works on their network and have some features not fully functional. Similar to the AT&T iPhone on TMobile before TMobile offered the device -- 3G didn't work.

Howarth Rowe

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
This configuration worked perfectly for my Att Atrix phone. I spoke with Consumer Cellular help line and though they were very friendly and tried sincerely they could not help. The person said like most help lines these days do" You could try looking on the web or Youtube" Thanks for the data, its saved me hours of time. )
Howarth

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer