Stadium Panoramas!

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Being a big sports and concert fan I thought this would be a cool idea! Join in and post yours!

"the Horseshoe" - Ohio State University. (Against Cal, 2012)
QJ1ayBH.jpg

Quicken Loans Arena - Aerosmith, 2012
HvnVEXK.jpg

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Can any of you guys give me any tips on taking panos? I've been frustrated. I've tried several times to take a pano at a Boston Bruins game and it always comes out with some odd lighting issue. I'm wondering if the issue is actually a lighting issue at the Garden, something I could be doing differently, or maybe even the phone. I've tried it with a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 4. I just bought a HTC One last week so I'll try it next week when I'm at the Garden.

I'll see if I can upload an example later.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Can any of you guys give me any tips on taking panos? I've been frustrated. I've tried several times to take a pano at a Boston Bruins game and it always comes out with some odd lighting issue. I'm wondering if the issue is actually a lighting issue at the Garden, something I could be doing differently, or maybe even the phone. I've tried it with a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 4. I just bought a HTC One last week so I'll try it next week when I'm at the Garden.

I'll see if I can upload an example later.

I do it by holding the phone pretty still, and rotating it like its on a tripod. (read that tip somewhere) As for the lighting, I have no clue. Hopefully someone can suggest ideas!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The AOSP Camera app could still use some improvements in handling lighting. The issue is that as you take a Photosphere or panorama, the phone takes multiple shots to be stitched together. As it does this, it changes the exposure of each shot. This leads to artifacts, rather abrupt shifts in light levels, and poor stitching in some of the resulting compositions.

Those who know the finer points about photography know there are different ways of handling exposure (ISO level, aperture diameter (f-stop), and shutter speed being the primary three). Typically, changing the shutter speed allows for the most granular changes in exposure, followed by ISO level and then aperture setting. Depending on how the smartphone camera is changing the exposure level, the 'minimum change' in exposure may still be enough to cause a substantial change in brightness. I can't pretend to say that I know exactly how the code behind Photosphere works, but I have my ideas. The ideal way for it to work would be for the software to capture the images in RAW format, and adjust the data later on to account for smooth exposure changes. For all I know, that's what's going on behind the scenes already, and it just needs some fine-tuning.

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I do it by holding the phone pretty still, and rotating it like its on a tripod. (read that tip somewhere) As for the lighting, I have no clue. Hopefully someone can suggest ideas!

I tend to move the phone around my body so I'll have to pay more attention to that.

The AOSP Camera app could still use some improvements in handling lighting. The issue is that as you take a Photosphere or panorama, the phone takes multiple shots to be stitched together. As it does this, it changes the exposure of each shot. This leads to artifacts, rather abrupt shifts in light levels, and poor stitching in some of the resulting compositions.

Those who know the finer points about photography know there are different ways of handling exposure (ISO level, aperture diameter (f-stop), and shutter speed being the primary three). Typically, changing the shutter speed allows for the most granular changes in exposure, followed by ISO level and then aperture setting. Depending on how the smartphone camera is changing the exposure level, the 'minimum change' in exposure may still be enough to cause a substantial change in brightness. I can't pretend to say that I know exactly how the code behind Photosphere works, but I have my ideas. The ideal way for it to work would be for the software to capture the images in RAW format, and adjust the data later on to account for smooth exposure changes. For all I know, that's what's going on behind the scenes already, and it just needs some fine-tuning.

Exposure may just be the problem. Will be interesting to see how the HTC One camera fares next week.

Thanks guys.

roccom33

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, I don't know if it was the HTC One's camera that did the trick or the tips above, but here is the view from my seats for the Boston Bruins :)

wucf.jpg

mrbanks

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Heinz Field 24 Aug 2013

Attachments

• PANO_20130824_180259.jpg
    PANO_20130824_180259.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 65
  • PANO_20130824_200001.jpg
    PANO_20130824_200001.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 30

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Great stadium pictures! It's been a long time since I've been to a professional sports game...seeing these images makes me want to see something soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty