Htc evo 3d or motorola photon?

interhawk1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
So my contract is up august 1st but since I am a premier costumer I can ubtain the evo 3d two week before august 1st. So my thoughts are which on woul I benefit more from?
I am looking To root and have good development support battery life isn't crucial since root helps but would still lik T hav good bat coming out of the box atleast decent battery.
So what do yo guys say what are your opinions?

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I choose the evo 3D (over the photon) mainly due to a lack of storage (microSD) on the photon.... that, and the fact that the 3D is out now. ;-)

There were some other factors, but that was the "biggie" for me.

EDIT - After more research....... I'm getting the Photon.

Last edited:

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I would hold out a bit longer and see if the SII is coming to Sprint, or what else they're going to announce. Dual core phones are going to start coming out left and right now, and the 3d is goingvto get surpassed quick.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I choose the evo 3D (over the photon) mainly due to a lack of storage (microSD) on the photon.... that, and the fact that the 3D is out now. ;-)

There were some other factors, but that was the "biggie" for me.

I thought the photon did allow for SD card (upto 32GB)
From Motorola's Photon 4G ships to Sprint on July 31st: $200 on contract -- Engadget

-- 16GB of onboard memory, support for up to 32GB SD Card, for a total of up to 48GB

Having said that, I picked the 3D (despite the fact that the photon had a feature I really really really wanted - worldphone - GSM capability) - just because HTC has a slightly better history of software updates and I actually do like HTC Sense!

Reactions: ToddK

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
3d - 1.2ghz dual core cpu
photon 1.0
3d - 3d
photon no
3d - out now
photon not yet

the choice is clear 3D!

The 1.0 dual core tegra 2 in the photon is no joke either. At the very least that's a draw right now.

No 3d is a selling point for a lot of people.

Just making some points

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
For me the only real advantage with the photon is GSM. The Tegra 2 is more supported as well but I'm sure so will Qualcomm.

thatwilsonguy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
It is a hard choice. Here are a few things that I had to weigh before I chose the EVO3D

1. Photon's peripheral.

The Photon will have more available (mouse, keyboard, laptop dock), and Moto also seems to be better at getting them out in a timely manner. Moto also has dedicated HDMI port that alleviates the issue of finding a USB HDMI cable thingy (or you might already have one from other devices).

2. Photon's Tegra 2 and Playstation Suite

After the Experia Play, the next batch of phones that will be able to play PS Suite games are required to have the Tegra 2 (this may change but probably not before a hardware cycle and I will have a newer phone than either of the two). The counterpoint to this is that 3D gaming is pretty cool (there is an entire hand held based on it).

3. HTC hardware

I'm not knocking Moto's build quality however, I like HTC phones. I like the shape, size and touch (I think Samsung phones feel cheap). I also wanted to give a phone with a dedicated camera button a try. 3D was an after thought but I have found it to be better than expected and a nice feature. I don't like the look of the Photon. I can't fully explain it other than the rounded corners, I can't place my finger on it. I do miss the kick stand (Photon has one) but I'm in the process of trying to fix that without a case. The other big hardware difference is camera and I'm satisfied with my EVO3D's. Again I haven't tried out the Photon's but the pure megapixle difference can mean very little (I have a DSLR if I need to put on my photog big boy pants).

4. EVO's projected development community support.

This is still up in the air but I picked the EVO3D. This is what matters to me. I don't make very many calls, I don't rely on my phone for business and there are very few things that I own that are not modified in some way. I had immense fun with the WebOS development community and my Pre. I was happy to find an equally dedicated and brilliant community behind the EVO4G and I am betting that the EVO3D will have a similar experience.

I don't think either phone can be considered a bad choice. I have no experience with blur or much of what Moto does. In my case it didn't hurt that the EVO3D came out first but I'm pretty sure I would have waited if their release dates had been swapped. Not really a deffinitive answer from me but I'm also trying to stay objective. These were just some things I considered before I put my pre-order in for my EVO3D. Camera/kickstand/sense/blur/rooting(CM) will take a different precedence to different people.

Last edited:

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I can't believe I missed that!

When it is released, I will give it a up-close look now. (Only 1 week into my 30 day trial w/ the 3D)

I thought the photon did allow for SD card (upto 32GB)
From Motorola's Photon 4G ships to Sprint on July 31st: $200 on contract -- Engadget

-- 16GB of onboard memory, support for up to 32GB SD Card, for a total of up to 48GB

Having said that, I picked the 3D (despite the fact that the photon had a feature I really really really wanted - worldphone - GSM capability) - just because HTC has a slightly better history of software updates and I actually do like HTC Sense!

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I would keep the EVO. Even though HTC seems to have some quality control issues, I still prefer the feel of their phones compared to some others. The photon just looks ugly to me. Plus I prefer sense to other skins. The EVO has 3D, and despite people calling it a gimmick, it is nice to show off a 3D pic/movie/game every now and then. And as far as development is concerned, I am assuming the 3D will be the route to take, especially since we have been promised an unlocked bootloader.

It comes down to personal preference though..All these new phones that are coming out are more than capable..so it is not like most users will notice a difference for day to day usage.

If I were you, I would just buy one of them, give it a go for a couple of weeks, then try the other one if you are not completely confident in your decision..

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
3d - 1.2ghz dual core cpu
photon 1.0
3d - 3d
photon no
3d - out now
photon not yet

the choice is clear 3D!

I have a EVO 3D, I am going to get the Photon for my fiance. As far as 3D, who gives a $#it.
I get the impression that when I show or tell none EVO 3D people & none techno geeks the 3D capabilities, they view it as a gimmick, and do not take it seriously.
Since the 3D is here to stay on the EVO, it should have never got a hardware switch. It should have been a software switch within the camera app.
I think the 3D focus takes away for the serious capabilities of the EVO 3D.
I love the EVO, but to hell with the 3D.

cheechmo

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I would hold out a bit longer and see if the SII is coming to Sprint, or what else they're going to announce. Dual core phones are going to start coming out left and right now, and the 3d is goingvto get surpassed quick.

How long are you going to hold out for that?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
How long are you going to hold out for that?

Me? I'm not going to. I tried out a 3d. Wasn't impressed at all. I loved my OG EVO, but until I start seeing some of that renowned HTC build quality on Sprint with a device without 3d, I'm done with their products. I bought a Nexus S off contract instead. I don't care what anyone says, the Nexus feels much more well built that the OG EVO. Everyone gets on Samsung build quality because of the plastic. I find that funny since both EVO's are all plastic too. I love my Nexus, and will probably wait for another one before buying a new phone

mrlichty

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I am shocked that people on here are complaining about the 3D.

I look at the future and everything will be in 3D.
Right now we can take pictures of family in 3D and have those pictures available in future years. If you have kids I think it is priceless to get good quality 3D photos and videos with them now.
If I was going on a vacation I would certainly like the option of taking pictures in 3D. They are good quality and who knows what they will look like in a couple of years on different devices.
You can take a picture and it looks great in 3D if you want to share the picture in 2d that is not a problem so you basically have a 2d picture to go along with every 3D picture.

This is the way of the future and we have a chance to be at the very start with a device that does a very good job of taking pictures and videos in 3D.

To me this phone having 3D is a huge positive and certainly not a negative.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I am shocked that people on here are complaining about the 3D.

I look at the future and everything will be in 3D.
Right now we can take pictures of family in 3D and have those pictures available in future years. If you have kids I think it is priceless to get good quality 3D photos and videos with them now.
If I was going on a vacation I would certainly like the option of taking pictures in 3D. They are good quality and who knows what they will look like in a couple of years on different devices.
You can take a picture and it looks great in 3D if you want to share the picture in 2d that is not a problem so you basically have a 2d picture to go along with every 3D picture.

This is the way of the future and we have a chance to be at the very start with a device that does a very good job of taking pictures and videos in 3D.

To me this phone having 3D is a huge positive and certainly not a negative.

To you its a huge positive, for many others, not so much. Yes, the future is 3d, but that's a long way off, and I would be surprised if any pictures taken now with a first gen 3d smartphone will be any good in years to come. Honestly, 3d isn't doing so hot right now. The only 3d movies that make money are blockbusters. All the others show much higher profits from their 2d screenings. I don't know anyone who has, or wants a 3d tv. The Nintendo 3d handheld is not selling. 3d is a hyped up joke right now. The future? Probably. But certainly not the present.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non