Why I am leaving Android for WP8

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
To each his own. My last windows phone was the Samsung Omnia rooted & rom'd. Always having to edit registry to get what I needed. WP 7 was a huge disappointment & I loathe iPhony. Went with Fascinate, rooted & rom'd from Froyo to Gingerbread. I'm hooked on Android & its variety. Can't stand to look at those W8 tiles. Best of luck to you, though

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
To each his own. My last windows phone was the Samsung Omnia rooted & rom'd. Always having to edit registry to get what I needed. WP 7 was a huge disappointment & I loathe iPhony. Went with Fascinate, rooted & rom'd from Froyo to Gingerbread. I'm hooked on Android & its variety. Can't stand to look at those W8 tiles. Best of luck to you, though

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

*iPhony? That is a new one from the hating side.

Posted via Android Central App

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I visit WPCentral now and then just to see if anything new and interesting has popped up in the WP scene. I honestly think we should set up a 'what's new in tech' education fund for the forum members there. The absolute tripe I frequently read about Android OS on their forums leaves me amazed that people who belong to a smartphone forum would know so little about other OS's. Comments like "Android is a lagfest" because they probably haven't known anything about Android since Froyo and "If you buy an S4 you'll be outdated in 3 weeks". Right because the new Lumia's are so cutting edge... /facepalm

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I visit WPCentral now and then just to see if anything new and interesting has popped up in the WP scene. I honestly think we should set up a 'what's new in tech' education fund for the forum members there. The absolute tripe I frequently read about Android OS on their forums leaves me amazed that people who belong to a smartphone forum would know so little about other OS's. Comments like "Android is a lagfest" because they probably haven't known anything about Android since Froyo and "If you buy an S4 you'll be outdated in 3 weeks". Right because the new Lumia's are so cutting edge... /facepalm

It pisses me off to. In fact I asked a mod to ban me because I told him I would start insulting there members.

Posted via Android Central App

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The problem is not necessarily that Android is a lag fest, but that the companies in many cases bastardize the OS and that causes frustration with many users who just want the phone to work as intended (for instance my mom and dad). My argument against Android is that I shouldn't have to a) buy a $600-700 phone for it to work well or b) root/mod it to oblivion to achieve a decent result. It may work for some users but the vast majority do not want to constantly mod or pay a small fortune for their device (granted, the latter isn't as big of a deal on contract but still). For power users the best option is most definitely Android and you could make a case for iPhone but for most users simplicity trumps customization. Which is what I think will make Windows phones attractive to people who don't necessarily use many apps and who want a good, cheap, functional device. You can get a Lumia 920 for less than $400 off contract and even older devices for much less and still be relatively functional. You can't really say the same about Android devices. That said, I think the HTC One is a phenomenal phone and so far has been the best Android experience I have ever had, including my Nexus devices.

Also, to whoever said Apple was "evil" I question your reasoning... I was as anti-Apple as they come a few years ago and refused to buy any smartphone until Android could compete. Lets face it, early Android phones paled in comparison to iOS devices and just within the last two years have at least equaled if not surpassed them in my opinion. But my hatred comes mostly from being forced iTunes because, from my experiences, it is a poorly designed program. I hear the new devices don't necessarily require iTunes so my interest is piqued. I also don't agree with their stupid lawsuits but Google has been hit with anti-trust suits and are trying to get their own walled-garden of sorts going (trending more and more towards that). All the companies have their issues (MS's are well documented but IMO are getting a lot better) and are "evil" in their own way.

Keith Blackwell

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
You are making an excellent choice of WP8. I am a carrier of a iPhone 4s and a Lumia 810. The iPhone is my work issued cell phone. I've been carrying and using both Phones 24/7 for 2 years. The time before that I carried a HD2 which was dual booted with Android (Gingerbread) and WM 6.5 professional and customized (which was superior inspite of it's buggy unstable functioning along with my work iPhone). As a result, I have a lot more experience with using all three operating systems simultaneously than most people in cell phone world. I can tell you this, the Windows Mobile 8 is by F A R a better OS than the iPhone, even with it's latest operating system 7.0.4 update. The iPhone is downright tedious to use compared to the Lumia Windows Mobile 8. I find myself reaching for the Lumia before the iPhone when I need internet information quickly. Or if I need to make a quick efficient text or a quick check of a email, I without thinking reach for the Lumia. I even use my Lumia for work functions when I am supposed to use the iPhone. It's just plain BETTER.
Windows Mobile 8 has expertly combined twitter, facebook, instagram, Linked In etc in which you can check everything at the SAME time on one standard app called "People." Ingenious, simple, thoughtful and practical.
The WM8 Lumia 810 (GDR3) is so fluid, so intuitive, so vivid and most strikingly; it's blazingly fast and stimulating to the eyes!! The active tiles give so much intuitive information without even touching the app. It gives you information and headlines for news apps so quickly. You can scroll through and it feeds you information quickly, perfect for when your on the go walking or driving without being distracted. My battery easily last all day, even with all the action and functioning on the front screen or the lock screen. The iPhone is a dead phone until you wake it up and wait and wait for it's apps to function. It may not seem that way to iPhone users because they don't know any better. If you noticed, iPhone's new iOS7 has done everything it could to copy the Windows Metro UI tiles in their graphics. Android is just like the writer says, there are so many different versions, you have to spend top dollar to get the full user experience. Even the HTC ONE has copied Windows Metro UI scrolling screen (I wonder if that's a lawsuit?). With Windows Mobile 8 (soon to be 8.1) you get the same basic user experience regardless of the model, aside from better camera features and storage difference essentially. It also has all of the major apps Instagram, Facebook etc..
Basically if you want the phone of the future...Get yourself a Lumia Windows Mobile 8 with the coming fantastic updates. What gives WM 8 the edge? Not afraid to go against the grain, not afraid to be different. iPhone and Android is basically the same aside from different bells and whistles. WM it totally different and totally better. Android and iPhone will soon be following the leader!

Last edited:

cam97

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
WP8 is a great phone and is definitely worth a try if you have been getting bored of the Android. Don't let anyone discourage you from going to iOS, WP8 or even Android. At the end of the day your getting top quality software. Windows Phone 8 is very interesting and brings something new to the playing field because of the unique design with the tiles. I also love how the WP8 is very simple with the tiles. Its a nice design. So go for it. WP8 is very different from iOS and Android though if your fine with it.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I decided to go with the Nexus 4 as my new phone and for the most part it is been a pleasant experience. There is virtually no lag and it is a nice phone. However, I find that I have to constantly tweak and fiddle with it to get respectable battery life and optimal performance which is something I just don't want to do. I have never been into rooting or custom ROMs nor have I really been a power user on my phone (the fewer apps I can get away with the better).
Then you should have never gotten a Nexus. Bad, ill-informed choice on your part.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
So that is how I find myself at this crossroads: Continue my dissatisfaction with Android, go iOS, or WP8. I chose WP8 because I was never a huge iOS fan and I think Microsoft in general is headed in a good direction. That's not to say that I think all Google services are awful: Google Music is fantastic, YouTube is great, and I have been a Gmail user since it was created. Hopefully one day soon they will realize that developing for MS is not the end of the world so people like me can still continue to use them on a different platform. It may be a case of "grass is always greener" so I could find myself running back to my N4 in a few weeks time, but I intend to give WP8 a fighting chance first. I just purchased a Lumia 920 off Amazon for $350 and will continue using ATTs prepaid LTE plan. Everything I have heard about this phone has been overwhelmingly fantastic (I actually have a few friends looking at getting WP8 phones as well) so I am excited to expand my horizons.
What is the point of you posting this here? It is not like you are a long time, avid poster here who feels the need to explain why they won't be posting here any more.

What did you hope to accomplish with this post?

rajthilak

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

It has been time when you people started this discussion. Still this topic came on top when i searched something in google.

You people can now try WP8.1. The WP8 is itself really great even with the 512MB RAM devices. But with personally what i know, we need to have atleast 1 GB RAM devices if we need good experience in Android. If we need a really good experience in Android, then there are hell lots of devices with 1GB+ of RAM devices to use. And even then i've seen most of the users going to Task Manager and killing the apps frequently. This particular step is what i am fed up of. The OS architecture is designed in a way that the memory is not cleaned up properly when an app is closed. In Windows Phone and in iPhone, you can keep 'n' number of applications open for days and you can still see the phone working seamless. To clear this issue is why the manufacturers are making devices with better memory.

Dont forget one point. We people in this forum are one or the other way "Tech Geek" or know something more than a really basic mobile user. Imagine about a very common man, if should use his mobile in a better way, he should go to task manager frequently. Doesn't this annoy him? If this issue is sorted out in Android, then it is again one of the best mobile operating system in the world.

I would like to conclude that, IOS and WP are the most stable OSes for mobiles. Anyone can go for them. If you want to play around as you wish with your OS and the resources as you wish, then Android is your choice. Windows Phone now have got even better with the update of Windows Phone 8.1 and Cortana is seriously cool and killer of Siri and Google Now.

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

It has been time when you people started this discussion. Still this topic came on top when i searched something in google.

You people can now try WP8.1. The WP8 is itself really great even with the 512MB RAM devices. But with personally what i know, we need to have atleast 1 GB RAM devices if we need good experience in Android. If we need a really good experience in Android, then there are hell lots of devices with 1GB+ of RAM devices to use. And even then i've seen most of the users going to Task Manager and killing the apps frequently. This particular step is what i am fed up of. The OS architecture is designed in a way that the memory is not cleaned up properly when an app is closed. In Windows Phone and in iPhone, you can keep 'n' number of applications open for days and you can still see the phone working seamless. To clear this issue is why the manufacturers are making devices with better memory.

Dont forget one point. We people in this forum are one or the other way "Tech Geek" or know something more than a really basic mobile user. Imagine about a very common man, if should use his mobile in a better way, he should go to task manager frequently. Doesn't this annoy him? If this issue is sorted out in Android, then it is again one of the best mobile operating system in the world.

I would like to conclude that, IOS and WP are the most stable OSes for mobiles. Anyone can go for them. If you want to play around as you wish with your OS and the resources as you wish, then Android is your choice. Windows Phone now have got even better with the update of Windows Phone 8.1 and Cortana is seriously cool and killer of Siri and Google Now.
I LOVE WP8.1 and Cortana is a killer app. I would go over to them in a heartbeat if they get their app situation worked out. While the apps are growing exponentially the problem is they are either lacking behind iOS/Android or not coming (looking at you Google services) at all. But yes, Cortana is awesome! If I still had my Xbox One I would certainly be more excited to go that direction but unfortunately it's just not doable for me at the moment. But I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for moving over there since they are doing some awesome stuff.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, my wife's Icon is a nice phone. No stutter and lag like my S5. It's a really clean and slick OS and surprisingly I think I may actually prefer the live tiles to widgets just because it can be so tedious to find widgets that give you everything you want in a screen or two.

But the little things add up. A lot of apps still either aren't there or don't have as much functionality. Cyan 8.1 should help out the OS shortcomings a lot, but who knows when Verizon will push that out.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I LOVE WP8.1 and Cortana is a killer app. I would go over to them in a heartbeat if they get their app situation worked out. While the apps are growing exponentially the problem is they are either lacking behind iOS/Android or not coming (looking at you Google services) at all. But yes, Cortana is awesome! If I still had my Xbox One I would certainly be more excited to go that direction but unfortunately it's just not doable for me at the moment. But I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for moving over there since they are doing some awesome stuff.

Well Cortana is about the only really great thing about a WP I liked. I was very glad to see some customization to the transparency of the tiles, but it didn't go far enough for my taste.

I had both the 1520 and the 1020 here and had issues with both of them to the point of hating to try to use them.

While I really enjoyed them for their simplistic looks after being used to having a phone set up to my desires it grew boring after a short while trying to get simple things that have been available on Android and even IOS to work the same.

I freely admit that I was a rom junkie on all of the Galaxy phones and the Notes that I owned out of necessity and even further back to my Hero days, but never have I been so disappointed with 2 excellent pieces of hardware before because of the limitations of the OS.

Perhaps if I had never touched any Android phone before, my opinion would not be so jaded, but unfortunately this is not the case.
Basic functions on the OS for a non power Android user is okay and they can quickly become used to operating it in no time however this is for someone not accustomed to both other platforms. For someone who is used to being able to switch between different music and video players, keyboards, dialers, launchers, first party apps, browsers it is severely lacking.

Some people, normally those who never change how their phone looks from whatever it has from the box, may indeed be drawn to the platform for the simplistic approach with its big tiles, or even those who long to be able to integrate their pc or xbox console with it, because the promise of this is certainly worthy, but that's not entirely possible yet. For now this is still in the works and there are some glaring irregularities making it happen properly.

Some mention has been made of the fractured nature of Android because of the various iterations of skins by the various oems and carriers, and while on the surface this may appear to be a real issue for someone new to Android, because of the various features available to the various phones, that in itself is no different than buying a house or a car. If you want to live in a house or drive a car that is exactly the same in looks and features across the spectrum then by all means buy one of the WP or Iphones, however if you disagree and are a individual that wants to be unique or even have the opportunity to be, a Android based phone is really your only choice of platforms.

Now that Threshold is on the horizon fans of the WP have something to look forward to, and I hope for their sake Microsoft doesn't let them down, but unfortunately I don't believe that is going to be the case. I could be completely mistaken, because I have been wrong before, but given Microsofts track record I have good reason to feel this way.

I look at WP as a platform that has great potential and some great features, but is hamstrung by it's very closed nature and by those who are in charge of developing it to maturity. It is limited by it's lack of flagship phones and their availability worldwide.

Opining the lack of having the latest firmware/software updates without buying a top of the line phone is misunderstanding how things work with all platforms in that the latest version available might not be the best for your device. Those of us who have been at this for some time can attest to the fact that if you are not having issues with your phone regardless of the type, wait until others have updated to see if there are any issues first. In other words don't try to fix what isn't broken just for the sake of having the latest version available.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Opining the lack of having the latest firmware/software updates without buying a top of the line phone is misunderstanding how things work with all platforms in that the latest version available might not be the best for your device. Those of us who have been at this for some time can attest to the fact that if you are not having issues with your phone regardless of the type, wait until others have updated to see if there are any issues first. In other words don't try to fix what isn't broken just for the sake of having the latest version available.

But see, old software is a problem with the Icon. It is still the flagship Windows Phone and when my wife bought hers 8.1 was supposedly coming very soon. Well 5 months later it hasn't, and because of that it has yet to get Cortana, Swype, and seperated volume controls, all of which are big shortcomings of the Icon. She has not done the developer preview for the reasons you mentioned, but it is not out of line to expect 8.1 on every high end Windows Phone at this point. Microsoft is now Nokia and they STILL can't get updates out in a timely manner.

Things are not looking good at all for Microsoft right now. Too bad, because the core OS is easily the best out there in my opinion. But frankly, with the way they locked it down, they deserve it.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
But see, old software is a problem with the Icon. It is still the flagship Windows Phone and when my wife bought hers 8.1 was supposedly coming very soon. Well 5 months later it hasn't, and because of that it has yet to get Cortana, Swype, and seperated volume controls, all of which are big shortcomings of the Icon. She has not done the developer preview for the reasons you mentioned, but it is not out of line to expect 8.1 on every high end Windows Phone at this point.
The problem is your carrier. Verizon has never been timely in giving updates and this is a known issue with them.

Microsoft has not bothered to secure a deal with the carriers as what Apple or even Google has.

While the icon is a good phone, I certainly would hope that you or others take the time to research things before purchasing a new phone.

Now if you want to look at the latest developer preview and see if it has what changes you want or need. It should be available to do, and can be removed if it isn't to your liking.

Owning a smartphone means that you as the owner needs to take control of it and learn more about how to get things done with it.

Sometimes we have to weigh the differences between the carriers and also the platforms to really get what we want or need.

I agree it seems to be a reasonable expectation, but unfortunately with WP that's not the reality as long as the carriers control the updates. This is also why Android is my platform choice for my phone. I have more choices available to me to be able to get a update when I need it as opposed to having to wait until the carriers release it.

I advise you to go try the developer preview and see how you like it. It is a very simple process and is easy to remove if you don't like it. I also advise you to look at other carriers and see if what they have is more beneficial to you and your needs. Now that most offer to pay for any ETF's. the financial burden has been reduced significantly. Personally I left Verizon many years ago for this very reason and their very poor customer service.

Know something else, if you do elect to load the developer preview you will see just how easy it is to do, and if you ever elect to utilize a Android phone adding a custom rom to it won't seem to hard to do because it is a very similar process. Something for you to keep in mind now that more and more WP features are being made available on Android which I firmly believe is going to be the norm from now on.

Will Microsoft learn to relax it's control? I don't think so. They want to give that impression but I don't think they can given how things operate in house and how they have always coded.

Last edited:

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, yes, we did do our research, which is why I went with an S5. My wife went with an Icon ONLY because of the new features coming in 8.1 and Nokia's/Microsoft's promise that the update would be coming soon to the Icon.

Verizon may be holding things up now, but as you say that is still Microsoft's fault for not cutting deals with them. Verizon was the first major carrier to put 4.4.4 on the S5, and it's chock full of bloatware, so it should certainly be possible with the Icon as well.

In your first response you say to avoid the latest software, then in your second one you say it should be tried. But the WP Icon forum is full of glitches with the preview.

Microsoft is in trouble because they tried to go the Apple route with a closed system and tight control. But that is not what built Windows and it's not what people want in an Apple competitor. They are not going to out-Apple Apple at this stage. Now I know Android is in some trouble too because nobody is making money with it, but I feel the new closed Windows is the begining of the end for them.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, yes, we did do our research, which is why I went with an S5. My wife went with an Icon ONLY because of the new features coming in 8.1 and Nokia's/Microsoft's promise that the update would be coming soon to the Icon.

Verizon may be holding things up now, but as you say that is still Microsoft's fault for not cutting deals with them. Verizon was the first major carrier to put 4.4.4 on the S5, and it's chock full of bloatware, so it should certainly be possible with the Icon as well.

In your first response you say to avoid the latest software, then in your second one you say it should be tried. But the WP Icon forum is full of glitches with the preview.

Microsoft is in trouble because they tried to go the Apple route with a closed system and tight control. But that is not what built Windows and it's not what people want in an Apple competitor. They are not going to out-Apple Apple at this stage. Now I know Android is in some trouble too because nobody is making money with it, but I feel the new closed Windows is the begining of the end for them.

I said try it out and see if you like it.. I wouldn't say keep it if you don't or have real issues, but you can attest get a idea of what it's going to be like and you can revert back easily too.

Your wrong about noone making money with Android. LG, Samsung HTC all are doing well.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez