Evo vs Epic

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
It is a very nice phone. The only thing I don't like is the screen it is not bright like my EVO. I set the brightness high and it still looks dim to me. I did like the web browser it seems faster and smoother than my EVO. The keyboard does seem like an awkward layout. I have 2 days to decide before my 30 days. The OS has a nice layout. This is a tough choice

Last edited:

Doug B

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I played with it yesterday as well. Sitting side by side with the Evo, IMHO the Evo looks much sexier. I just couldn't get used to the keyboard. I dunno... maybe I'm spoiled now with Swype. They keys just seemed too close together for my fat fingers. Speed wise the Epic was fast, and I agree with you about the browser being smoother. It seemed to load pages a touch faster then the Evo sitting next to it, both on 3G and 4G.

silvilas

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I thought that the screen seemed much brighter and overall...better than my EVO. Mine seemed like the colors were washed out.

I love my EVO but the Epic certainly looks good.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes the Epic will have the better screen in terms of colors and so on. Yet Super AMOLED is very unnatural, colors are way to saturated. Me personally I think Samsung's Tv's and now this phone is too fake looking for me. I like calibrated warm colors. I notice on the EVO with Novatec screen it seems to be more warm natural colors. So again yeah it may look cool, but it's highly unnatural.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Slide out Keyboard is a killer for me too.... I would never even use it... I played with one at the Sprint Store and I thought it was nice but felt cheap and more like a toy... The EVO does looks better (IMO) and feels more solid than the Epic....

I thought the Epic came stock with Swype?

I have Swype on my EVO and had it on my Nexus One... For a touch screen phone that keyboard is great... I love it....

gmoney144

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I took my girlfriend to get an evo at a corporate store. The rep displayed the Epic and the Evo and she was hooked. She got the Epic primarily because of the display. Couple of things though. It takes almost 4 hours to charge, can not connect to wifi, the capacitive buttons are not synching with the screen, and wont recongnize the computer when hooked up.( No mass storage). I had the samung moment and it felt cheap to me. While the Epic screen is nice, the bugs have to worked out. I think She will be trading it for the Evo.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I stopped by the Sprint store today and checked out the Epic myself. My wife has talked of getting one seens how I opted for the EVO.

I too, thought the AMOLED screen was bright, but very un-natural and fake looking. Alot like the iMac screens in our office. I like the natural, realistic look of the EVO screen myself.

I also noticed... on my EVO if I slide my finger slow across the screen, it has a very smooth transition to the next screen. The Epic is glitchy, and doesn't transition smooth enough for my liking.

The keyboard is large, but feels toyish like the rest of the phone. I also noticed little things like when you go into settings, there are no full color icons like the EVO, it is all grey. Alot of the graphics/icons on the Epic are cheap looking.

I am now planning on taking the wife in and let her decide, but I have a feeling she will go the EVO route, unless she feels she needs the keyboard.

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought my wife an epic n I've been playing with it n its pretty nice n smooth, but imo I still love my EVO more

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
From the ones I seen in the stores yesterday..
They had very loose slider keyboards from everyone playing with them. Just doesn't look like it will hold up to abuse. That is when i realized just how hevy the EVO is.
I like that solid feel..
Plus since i have used sense ui for almost a week now.. I really like it over touch wiz or the droidx ui..

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to sound like a fanboy (although with a preface like that I suppose it's unavoidable), but there isn't any phone on the market today that I would trade for my Evo.

I find it odd that so many people are hailing the Epic when it's just a Vibrant with a keyboard and less internal storage. No one was hailing the Vibrant when it came out (well, maybe the odd TMo die-hard who had no other choice). Yeah yeah, it has a FFC, LED flash, and 4G. But the guts of the thing is essentially a Captivate. While some people like the Captivate, no one really cares about the Captivate. Why is the Epic so special?

It still has borked GPS. It still has no froyo. It still has terrible capacitive buttons. It still has the screendoor effect from the pentile matrix screen. It still charges slowly. It still has problems connecting in storage mode via USB. In short, it has every problem the Vibrant or Captivate has. But with a keyboard!

Why are so many reviewers so excited about this phone? I don't get it. There's some Kool Aid goin' round.

And everyone swears up and down that Samsung is going to fix everything with software updates. The phone has been out since the beginning of June in Europe, and the GPS issues were pointed out immediately. 3 months later and no fix? Is this really a software problem? The Evo got froyo in 2 months. The Epic gets... "turn on cell tower assist". Even the guys who claim their GPS is awesome are standing under open sky and getting 98 feet displacement. That's really kind of unacceptable for GPS.

And whither froyo? "End of September". Okay, listen, that might happen. But do you know how many CDMA Galaxy phones with a keyboard running Touchwiz 2.5 are out there? Is there even another one? Is Samsung going to really concentrate on getting froyo on the Epic when the bulk of their Galaxy phones are GSM units running Touchwiz 3.0? Uhh... maybe. Maybe.

It's a nice phone. Really nice phone. If it weren't for the GPS issue, it would be a great phone. And the screen is nice, but it did not blow me away. It was not a quantum leap in screen technology. It's good for some things, bad for others. Like everything else, it has it upsides and downsides. My biggest downside is that it's .3" smaller, and you can really see it. At least, I can really see it.

So... that's the end of my fanboy rant. I'll own up to that.

But the Epic? I still don't get it.

kidd_andyy

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Evo or Epic 4G?

okay so my upgrade isnt till january but i really want to know which is better
i really like the evo but the epic is nice because of the keyboard
so i want peoples opinion on the Evo on what the pros are about it
what the cons are about it
what the final thoughts about it and everything
i've really wanted the evo but now that the epic came out
i just want peoples opinion
please this would be such a big help for me thanks again

oakleyswitch#AC

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
just my .02 cents... i played with the Epic today and the slide out keyboard killed any desire i had... it didnt feel smooth and it was just awkward. the screen on the Epic also didnt seem as bright even when playing with its settings compared to the EVO... those are my only gripes..

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I played with the Epic today at a local Sprint store. The screen size is not as significant as I thought it would be. The keyboard is nice. I hate the standard screen keyboard on the Evo. I recently picked up a keyboard application and goodness, I no longer mind typing on the Evo. Size: really thin for a slider device. The Epic is at 2.1, which may or may not be too important. Up until 4 days ago, the Epic was calling me; now, I just gotta ponder longer. At this point I am probably going to stay with the Epic and change out to something else in a few months.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you have the luxury of waiting until January, then come back in a couple of months after the shininess wears off the Epic. It's only been a couple of days -- no one knows what the Epic is really like yet.

njbianco#AC

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Re: i just tested a Samsung Epic

The Epic is alot brighter and vibrant then the Evo as you can tell by my picture.

Sent from my HTC Evo

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: i just tested a Samsung Epic

Wow CobraVision... That was a long rant...

But it summed up my exact feelings down to a T.

One thing I would like to add is that the Samsung line doesn't have a vibrant rooting community... Which is no fun.

Who knows, that may change with the Epic. I doubt it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harper99