Evo vs Epic

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I just bought an Epic(coming from a pre) and I got my mom an Evo. Now I didnt play with the Evo too much, but ill tell you how I feel

Hardware comparison:

-The Evo looks way better IMO(this is one thing I like most)
-The Epic feels way better to hold and is more realistic for everyday use. The Evo just seems so heavy that if you drop it will shatter. At first my mom liked the Evo on display, yet she isnt even using it because its so heavy. It maybe thinner, but it the epic is only 1.3mm thicker(i believe) and actually feels better.
-The epic video camera is amazing and still pictures. The evo's has a lot of artifacts, but is still good
-Now, for brightness/display I noticed the evo is slight brighter but the epics is more saturated and better looking. I also noticed the EVO model I had didnt have washed colors like the earliers models I saw when it first came out. That being said the Evo was comparable, yet slightly below. Im glad the screen is improved on EVO
-4g reception, side by side, the epic won in terms of how quickly it locked onto a signal and how fast it went. i will do further tests on this as I only did one(overall I dont see my using 4g and dont wanna pay extra for it).
-Keyboard vs no keyboard. I honestly dont need a keyboard and If I do i prefer a solid vertical slider with the clickiness of a BB. I mainly use the built in swype on Epic and I love it. I also love the haptic feedback. This issue is up to the person. For me id get the evo just because i dont need a keyboard. Also the EPIC keyboard is still really good, just i feel the keys are too spread out.
-Epic has a killer GPU, which is the main reason I got it. I didnt wanna get fragmented out from development of the newest 3d games, thought now that i think about it it wont happen because i believe the evo may be the standard for developers.

Software:

-Sense is amazing, hands down. That would be my main reason for staying with an Evo. Its beautiful and elegent. And I love the switching themes from work to play.
-touchwiz isnt as refined, but it beats vanilla androids boredom. I actually like touchwiz but still prefer sense, primarly for the widgets.
-Touchwiz is freaky fast, but not much faster then sense/evo.
-Browser is really nice and you can turn up the brightness browser menu. Pictures look great to me.

All in all im still not decided on which one I want. Tough decision. Should i take chance with a mediocre GPU(and perhaps get owned and not be able to play latest titles) or should i stick with a keyboard I wont use(though the epic still feels better in hands, even with added thickness). And lastly if I get an evo, i can put a nice case on it :)

cespinal

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Tried the Epic....

Coming from blackberry I had to try the epic just because of the keyboard. Final verdict: not impressed, like a few of you mentioned the colors on the screen were very unatural and the screen on the evo seemed much brighter. Personally I tried typing on the keyboard and found myself typing faster on my evo (smart keyboard). Lastly it is too light, felt like a cheap toy against the evo. I don't understand how some people say the evo is too heavy, are u serious? Please don't think I am a fanboy because i'm not my wife and I
Have had evos for a little over a month and are actually thinking of going back to blackberries for the simple fact that we can't put these phones down they are amazing , we find ourselves always doing something on the phones on our blackberries all we did was answer calls check emails and an occassional bbm. I just faxed 6 pages from my evo! and looked over a 12 page powerpoint presentation for work and it looked perfect!

Decisions, decisions.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I took my girlfriend to get an evo at a corporate store. The rep displayed the Epic and the Evo and she was hooked. She got the Epic primarily because of the display. Couple of things though. It takes almost 4 hours to charge, can not connect to wifi, the capacitive buttons are not synching with the screen, and wont recongnize the computer when hooked up.( No mass storage). I had the samung moment and it felt cheap to me. While the Epic screen is nice, the bugs have to worked out. I think She will be trading it for the Evo.
What do you mean it cannot connect to wifi? The buttons can sync with keyboard if you change settings. Mass storage works fine for me on Windows 7 32bit and 64bit plus Windows XP.

highwayman1224

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
The Epic is alot brighter and vibrant then the Evo as you can tell by my picture.

Sent from my HTC Evo

I think somethings wrong with your EVO, cause I've got that same wallpaper & mine looks just like the one on the Epic. Why's your screen so light colored? That .3" is VERY noticeable.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Was there a batch of Evo's with different screens? I know HTC used both Novavtel and Epson screens, but whenever I read that the Evo screen is washed out, they're not talking about my Evo. I put my Evo side by side with a Vibrant, and it's not really the ***-whuppin' some people make it out to be.

And yes, the SAMOLED screen is darker than the Evo screen. And for a very good reason -- SAMOLED screens aren't the little power sippers that most people think they are. In fact, if you spend a lot of time on websites or messaging or any app that uses black text on white background, the SAMOLED screen will use more juice than an LCD screen. Because in order to produce white, the subpixels have to drive at full. While in normal use this is offset by the subpixels shutting off for blacks, using the phone in apps that have black text on white background unbalances the equation. So you could probably watch Fight Club over and over again on one charge, but surfing web pages all day long will kill the battery. That's why the Epic has a separate brightness control for the web browser, and it's set to dim. And that's why the default color scheme for the Galaxy phones are dark with white text on black backgrounds. And this is why the Evo screen looks brighter than the Epic.

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I've tried out 3 Epics and next to my Evo, and the Sprint store Evo, I would confidently say the Evo's screen is noticeably brighter(both phones at max brightness). IMO(and my gf), web pages looked a bit crisper on the Evo.

The Epic has deeper black levels and probably better colors when watching video(didn't try it out), but I would say there was definitely overstatements when people declared that the Epic's screen would curbstomp the Evo's.

JCool525

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried out the epic today and the only difference that I noticed was that the screen seemed slightly clearer than my evo while viewing some of the live wallpapers. I didn't have time browse the Internet. I was also surprised by how light the phone is compared to my evo. The epic's battery also didn't drain as fast either. However, I still like my evo more than the epic.

godsidekurt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Stickin with EVO

I was toying with the idea of going with an EPIC after a friend got one. I went to the store today and played with one for an extended period of time. It has an awesome screen and it would be nice to have a physical keyboard again for long texts and emails...however, it just felt cheaper to me. Too light, plastic side keys and the slider was already getting pretty weak at the sprint store after like two days of people playing with them.

Decided for now to stick with my EVO...even though the no trickle charge battery issue drives me nuts every day!

njbianco#AC

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I think somethings wrong with your EVO, cause I've got that same wallpaper & mine looks just like the one on the Epic. Why's your screen so light colored? That .3" is VERY noticeable.

Its not as light in person as it is in the picture its just the camera used isn't very good(blackberry 9630 camera)

myrcgarage

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I played with one yesterday and in quite a few cases, it took a few tries before system reacted to tap. I heard it was one of the complains as well.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I just bought an Epic(coming from a pre) and I got my mom an Evo. Now I didnt play with the Evo too much, but ill tell you how I feel

Hardware comparison:

-The Evo looks way better IMO(this is one thing I like most)
-The Epic feels way better to hold and is more realistic for everyday use. The Evo just seems so heavy that if you drop it will shatter. At first my mom liked the Evo on display, yet she isnt even using it because its so heavy. It maybe thinner, but it the epic is only 1.3mm thicker(i believe) and actually feels better.
-The epic video camera is amazing and still pictures. The evo's has a lot of artifacts, but is still good
-Now, for brightness/display I noticed the evo is slight brighter but the epics is more saturated and better looking. I also noticed the EVO model I had didnt have washed colors like the earliers models I saw when it first came out. That being said the Evo was comparable, yet slightly below. Im glad the screen is improved on EVO
-4g reception, side by side, the epic won in terms of how quickly it locked onto a signal and how fast it went. i will do further tests on this as I only did one(overall I dont see my using 4g and dont wanna pay extra for it).
-Keyboard vs no keyboard. I honestly dont need a keyboard and If I do i prefer a solid vertical slider with the clickiness of a BB. I mainly use the built in swype on Epic and I love it. I also love the haptic feedback. This issue is up to the person. For me id get the evo just because i dont need a keyboard. Also the EPIC keyboard is still really good, just i feel the keys are too spread out.
-Epic has a killer GPU, which is the main reason I got it. I didnt wanna get fragmented out from development of the newest 3d games, thought now that i think about it it wont happen because i believe the evo may be the standard for developers.

Software:

-Sense is amazing, hands down. That would be my main reason for staying with an Evo. Its beautiful and elegent. And I love the switching themes from work to play.
-touchwiz isnt as refined, but it beats vanilla androids boredom. I actually like touchwiz but still prefer sense, primarly for the widgets.
-Touchwiz is freaky fast, but not much faster then sense/evo.
-Browser is really nice and you can turn up the brightness browser menu. Pictures look great to me.

All in all im still not decided on which one I want. Tough decision. Should i take chance with a mediocre GPU(and perhaps get owned and not be able to play latest titles) or should i stick with a keyboard I wont use(though the epic still feels better in hands, even with added thickness). And lastly if I get an evo, i can put a nice case on it :)

We are on the same shoes bro. Which one do i keep???? I love the speed of the Epic with Gameloft games. When I go back to the Evo I feel like I'm using an outdated device. But I love the 4.3 screen of evo and the kickstand. I care less about the Epic kb and it reminds me too much of my TP2 and the thickness do bother me some. Samsung needs to make a 4.3 kb less version of the Galaxy S with a kickstand. Then it would be so much easier to decide.

parout66

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Just my two cents. I too flirted with the Epic. Still in my 30 day window. When all was said and done after playing with the Epic, it came down to the keyboard. What did it for me in keeping my Evo is that I just don't believe that slider is going to hold up against the "Oreo" effect. With this in mind, my first thought was that the only thing in my eyes keeping the Evo from being perfect was the osk. If I could find a good osk that worked for me, then all was good. No moving parts to worry about. I have had Swype installed for a few days and wow, much better. Getting faster and faster. Have also installed Swift keys and give it a whirl, but thus far Swype has made my Evo great. I really believe that is the key between the phones. Physical or osk. With the right osk installed, the Evo probably will hold up better in the long run.

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
We are on the same shoes bro. Which one do i keep???? I love the speed of the Epic with Gameloft games. When I go back to the Evo I feel like I'm using an outdated device. But I love the 4.3 screen of evo and the kickstand. I care less about the Epic kb and it reminds me too much of my TP2 and the thickness do bother me some. Samsung needs to make a 4.3 kb less version of the Galaxy S with a kickstand. Then it would be so much easier to decide.
I stayed with the Evo. Since I am a Sprint Premier customer I get to upgrade next year anyway. I went from a TP2 to an EVO. The WM lagginess is gone. The Evo might have less power than the Epic, but I dont need all that bevel and keyboard. In a year I will get a 1,5ghZ dualcore with a hypersuperamoled screen that blows the epic out of the water, but looks closer to the evo. HTC ftw. They make good crap!

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
woah i did it traded in evo for epic

yep did a lot of research looking to see which one would benefit me wow was it hard. but went with the epic one day so far and i am loving it have not tried out everything that evo has done before will update asap. So far tho this phone is a beast and i like the keyboard optio n not as bad as i thought.

dan330

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
awesome.. glad you love it...

please let us know in 1 week .. your take on the 2 phones. it will help me decide when I get my upgrade.

i have my opinions and would love to hear others.

jay0911

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Agreed it is a very nice phone. However, I compared my Evo to my friend's Epic and I just couldn't find anything significant to make me want to change phones. They are both great phones and you won't go wrong either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confteam