S5 or G3 ???

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok I have always been a Samsung junkie, but the G3 really has me intrigued I have seen some really quality images produced from the camera. And it looks like a great device.

I need thoughts???

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Had a G3... loved it. It took GREAT pictures. I know in the reviews that it rarely came out on top... but the one thing that stood out to me most about that camera is that it ALWAYS worked. No matter the conditions, light, movement... you name it.. that sucker took a good, if not great pic. And it was something that I didn't really appreciate until I had it for a bit.

And it has the best ergonomics out there. Those rear buttons might look kooky at first, but once you start using them, that placement just makes so much more sense.... and their tape to wake stuff... can't live without it now.

G3... highly recommend it.

(in full disclosure, I have a Nexus 6 now, so I'm not just some LG fanboy telling you to buy one).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why the switch?

Because Nexus. :) I have the original JUMP program, where I can switch twice a year no matter what... so when it came up this summer, I decided to switch out my Nexus 5 for a G3. I had spent a fair amount of time checking out all the usual suspects.. the S5, M8, Moto X, etc... And when I looked at the total package, the G3 was the one I kept going back to and became my clear choice. I could have waited until the fall for the next Nexus, but in the spring and early summer, no one was even sure what the next Nexus was even going to be... or even if it WAS going to be. So between that uncertainty and the fact that I really liked the G3, the decision was simple.

Worst case scenario was that I hated the G3. But I would still have another JUMP as a plan B.. I could dump it and get something else.

But that wasn't necessary. The G3 looked great, felt great...took great photos.... I had zero complaints about the thing to be honest and had no real plans to switch any time soon. But the Nexus 6 was released and like Odysseus hearing the Sirens' song, I was drawn to it and I eventually succumbed to the temptation (which I am just as happy with by the way... but the Nexus 6 won't work for everyone).

I switched because of the Nexus 6, not because I had any issues with the G3.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The G3 is a beauty. But why not wait until the Galaxy S6 announcement first? Then you can make an informed decision. :)

Agree, why not wait...Heck, I'm waiting for the G4 then I'll make my choice. I almost jumped to the Motorolas but the battery in the X won't work for me and the Turbo looks like a Verizon Beta test.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the G3, and my previous phones were Samsung. If LG keeps making phones like this, then they will keep getting my business. G3 gets my vote

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the G3, and my previous phones were Samsung. If LG keeps making phones like this, then they will keep getting my business. G3 gets my vote

Yeah.... I have a Nexus 6... and I'll have it until at least July... that's when my JUMPs get reset :) If LG keeps on the roll they are on now, I am guessing that the G4 might warrant some serious attention come next summer.