Discussion on the appeal of iOS vs Android

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: What would Android have to do to have the same hype as iphone?

The simplicity of the iPhone. People on Android Central are not your average cell phone user. We are hobbyists .. We love the tech and the latest gadgets. Most people want the phone to just work and do the few things that they need to improve their lives.

Apple has done that with most of their products. I get every new phone that comes out and loves most of them for one reason of another, but my iPhone 6+ is still my daily driver and the one that I rely on everyday. Same with my Laptop... There is no comparison with ANY Laptop to the MacBook Pro... I don't care about specs.. The Pro is smooth as butter and just keeps going.. Make a product that is easy to use and reliable and people will line up for it... and pay a premium

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

There is no comparison with ANY Laptop to the MacBook Pro... I don't care about specs.. The Pro is smooth as butter and just keeps going.. Make a product that is easy to use and reliable and people will line up for it... and pay a premium

Agree with the Laptop, I won't even consider another brand. As far as the phone goes, my G4 is reliable and runs like a top, I don't suffer any of these issues that some others have. Also, go over to the iMore forums, there's still issues with the iPhones so I don't know if I can buy into the reliability perfection theory. However I do agree with the simplicity aspect of Apple products.

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

One of the best things about an iPhone is that if you have a problem, you walk in to a Apple store and they fix it. That is very convenient for most people

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Only buy, eat and wear what your friends approve of and you'll be fine.

If they rob a bank, join in. You all might end up in the same cell block.

Don't think for yourself, or your friends will not approve and you may have to find other friends, or, you know, fend for yourself.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree with @akthelonelyman, how old are you? It sounds like you and your "friends" are in high school. Everyone is different, everyone has their own style. If you like Android and it suits your needs, get an Android device.

Don't compromise because of peer pressure, that's exactly what your "friends" are doing by telling you "it's iPhone or you're not cool" or whatever they're saying, they're exerting peer pressure.

Are you limited to just Samsung for choices on Android? There are other phones out there that are not hampered by Samsung with their interface and slow updates.

Posted via the Android Central App

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: You can never impress or please others with your phone?

The smartphone is a status symbol. I was even at my friends house today. I told my friend that the galaxy s6 edge has a pretty neat design, with a curved screen. He said, ''Doesn't matter, it's not an IPHONE....'' I asked him what he meant by that. And he said that what he said pretty much sums it up. It's a status symbol. No matter how many functions you try to show him that other phones can do, he doesn't want to hear it. It has to be an iphone or it doesn't count in his eyes. And there's no reason for his reasoning.
Yes, it is a status symbol. However, depending on who you ask what status level that symbol gets. :)
You got this part right: And there's no reason for his reasoning.

What I don't get is this. Some people that were really into PC's instead of Macintosh still prefer an iphone because it's an iphone. What I don't get is they didn't care about Apple back then, but now they will back up Apple to death, just because of the iphone. So obviously, the iphone did something right, right?
Yes, iPhone did something right. However, you need to clarify if those former PC lovers are now Apple fans or just iPhone fans.

My other friend was there and he has an LG. He said that he couldn't afford an iphone, but he said that iphone is the best phone in the world, far better than any android. I asked him if he was sure and he said that it's a fact.
The catch here is that he needs to support is "best" claim by explaining his judging criteria. Without knowing his judging criteria we have no idea if he is right or wrong.

Does the iphone get special treatment from its reputation? Something about that makes people feel proud about. There MUST be something about it other than just the marketing. People love having iphones.
Yes, iPhones have a reputation. For most people, that reputation is the best reason they have because they are not knowledgeable about the that phone or any other to make any type of comparison. Are all people like that? Obviously not, but at least 70% of the population.

I don't think people are all that stupid. They wouldn't just buy it with blind faith, like it's their religion. Or would they?
In general, yes, people really are that stupid, think "sheep". Yes, they buy it on blind faith and because that is what their friends bought.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
No I want people to know. And I want to look good with my phone.
The only time people will know you have a phone is when it is in your hand. When you are playing with your phone, you are ignoring your friends that are with you.

How does one look good, or bad, with a cell phone?

Swaggy P

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The only time people will know you have a phone is when it is in your hand. When you are playing with your phone, you are ignoring your friends that are with you.

How does one look good, or bad, with a cell phone?

Well yes, I admit that people with phones all the times can annoy me. I just want to look slick walking with mine, taking it out for a second.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't like either iPhones or Samsung, but if a phone raises your status it must be on the floor somewhere.
I have two ipads and an ipod but couldn't get on with an iPhone as a daily driver. I'd miss the widgets and back button too much.

silva89

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site

it most likely due to the inconsitencies with andriod, because android is a open source platform, user experience will vary from very good to bad. Iphone being a closed system will have a consitent feel through their range of devices and performance will be optimal since, the os and harware are made to apples spec.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site

Actually, both iOS and Android suck.
I tried both already and I still did not found the ultimate smart mobile OS yet.
I am putting a new hope for Win10.

Sounds like you need to write your own if you think they're so bad.

Pete Reed

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site

I don't hate - I just prefer Android, the I-phone has boring samey icons, whereas Android has all sorts of different icons that just make it look more interesting.

The phones do the same thing with no major advantage over the other. But you have more choice and it's cheaper to go Android. (Except Samsung - their UI is so bad it's unusable).

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Is it really that hard to say that they are ALL good and ALL bad in certain ways? Why can't you just say... I like Apple/Android/Windows/Blackberry better?
Saying any of them suck is just plain stupid.. say they ALL suck is.... well, never mind.....

Buy your phone, use your phone, change your phone... it doesn't mean squat... It is a phone.. not a Kidney!!

MrMELTDOWN

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

.....it's cheaper to go Android. (Except Samsung - their UI is so bad it's unusable).

Hmmmm.....I don't seem to have a problem with my UI. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Why do you say that?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Apple has done that with most of their products. I get every new phone that comes out and loves most of them for one reason of another, but my iPhone 6+ is still my daily driver and the one that I rely on everyday. Same with my Laptop... There is no comparison with ANY Laptop to the MacBook Pro... I don't care about specs.. The Pro is smooth as butter and just keeps going.. Make a product that is easy to use and reliable and people will line up for it... and pay a premium
This is the truth, plan and simple. I still have a black MacBook from 2008 that works just as good today as it did in April of 2008 when I bought it. I now own a 2015 MBP and a 2012 MBP as well as a Mac Mini.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site

This is the truth, plan and simple. I still have a black MacBook from 2008 that works just as good today as it did in April of 2008 when I bought it. I now own a 2015 MBP and a 2012 MBP as well as a Mac Mini.

Doesn't quite work so well with iOS/ipads though. Apps are always crashing or freezing on my air2. The old ipad 2 is pretty much useless now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Doesn't quite work so well with iOS/ipads though. Apps are always crashing or freezing on my air2. The old ipad 2 is pretty much useless now.

I am the opposite on this. The Air 2 I got for my girlfriend is pretty beast mode. Everything runs smooth and we charge it maybe once every 2 weeks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87