Automatically switching from Unrestricted to Optimized

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
I mentioned earlier in the thread Motorola m1 wireless dongle which I use and works flawlessly is a better option in my opinion.
I appreciate it. I honestly dislike wireless and try my best to avoid using it if I absolutely can (obviously I can't for the sake of Bluetooth's function with AA).

Reactions: mustang7757

NJMike

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Only if you don't need your wifi for other reasons (which I do)

Again, my comments were in addition. They were not in place of.
It's appreciated though. I might just deal with it honestly; that price tag doesn't justify it enough for me, if all I have to do is unplug/replug the USB on occasion when I get the error. It's annoying, but not enough of a big deal to fork over that much money for that device.

On another note, I read elsewhere on this site with someone having the same issue, that someone had recommended turning off the thing that starts AA automatically, or keeping the USB plugged in before you start the car. So I'm going to try this.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I might look into it though. What benefits does this hold over wired AA? Does it connect without any problem, no glitches, performance issues, etc.?
I haven't seen any issues on my end it connects wireless is main benefit as sometimes cable can break and not realize it .

Reactions: NJMike

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Im connected Bluetooth not WiFi with Motorola m1
No, you initially PAIRED over bluetooth. From there, it sets up a WIFI connection. AA Always requires Bluetooth in addition to Wifi or Cable. The transfer demands are too taxing for Bluetooth alone.

If you use Wireless, it consumes your Wifi Antenna as that only allows one connection.

Screenshot_20240417_192516_Vivaldi.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, you initially PAIRED over bluetooth. From there, it sets up a WIFI connection. AA Always requires Bluetooth in addition to Wifi or Cable. The transfer demands are too taxing for Bluetooth alone.

If you use Wireless, it consumes your Wifi Antenna as that only allows one connection.

View attachment 361856
I haven't set up from beginning since I had it but trust me I turn Bluetooth on then go my radio AA app and connects through that my WiFi not on . I'll try to make a video for you .

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I haven't set up from beginning since I had it but trust me I turn Bluetooth on then go my radio AA app and connects through that my WiFi not on . I'll try to make a video for you .
It may appear that way. But, it sets up a server and turns your wifi on for a direct connection. This happens in the background. That is how wireless android auto works, even through a dongle. Video is too much of a Bandwidth hog to work over bluetooth. It sets up a "server" on the receiver side and your phone connects over Wifi. Bluetooth is required for the setup and as the trigger for subsequent connections.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240419_092710_Vivaldi.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_092710_Vivaldi.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240419_093112_Vivaldi.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_093112_Vivaldi.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It may appear that way. But, it sets up a server and turns your wifi on for a direct connection. This happens in the background. That is how wireless android auto works, even through a dongle. Video is too much of a Bandwidth hog to work over bluetooth. It sets up a "server" on the receiver side and your phone connects over Wifi. Bluetooth is required for the setup and as the trigger for subsequent connections.

This method I did with my vehicle

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Tell you what, turn on your wifi hotpsot with AA connected to the wireless dongle and see if you can connect a tablet without turning off one or the other. That is the real issue that I was commenting about and the reason I do not use wireless AA.
Ok will report back

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Tell you what, turn on your wifi hotpsot with AA connected to the wireless dongle and see if you can connect a tablet without turning off one or the other. That is the real issue that I was commenting about and the reason I do not use wireless AA.
Yes just tested you are right, I have hotspot to my head unit to run apps and it disengage the other , I had turn WiFi off and it automatically turned it on didn't realize for AA , so you're correct.

Reactions: kikbxr1969

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes just tested you are right, I have hotspot to my head unit to run apps and it disengage the other , I had turn WiFi off and it automatically turned it on didn't realize for AA , so you're correct.
Only because I discovered this a few years ago.... then went back and read the fine print.... and had a light bulb moment.

Just trying to save others the same hassle of finding out the hard way.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Only because I discovered this a few years ago.... then went back and read the fine print.... and had a light bulb moment.

Just trying to save others the same hassle of finding out the hard way.
Yeah definitely hear you just never notice my WiFi being toggle back on again after turning off lol
That's why I wanted to test again and glad you had me double check this .

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
What is worse is that several of the OEM car head units that offer wireless AA and also offer car hotspots. Your phone can't use both at the same time. But they will gladly sell it to you. The clear advantage to using the car hotspot with AA is that you get better cell coverage in remote areas. But, if you use wireless AA, it disconnects from the car wifi hotspot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeneralCaveman216