Are phones getting too big?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to start holding my Nexus 7 up to my ear out in public.
Lol. I took a photo of me holding my Transformer Prime up to my head. The new Android Phone. Bigger is better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Capacitive and physical buttons I believe are what makes phones unnecessarily large for some people as well as the phones bezel. If the buttons were gone and bezels cut down then overal size of phones would be smaller. Then these phones would be more "manage able" to hold in one hand and still be able to retain array screen sizes without compromising size.

I like a large display on my phone but don't need the buttons, and bezel which makes the phone larger than needs to be for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ubuntu OS is doing this. Check it out.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I would like a 4.5 inch phone. But 4.7 is also fine. I REALLY hope Google doesn't go bigger then this next year. I might have to switch. Lol no I won't. Not when I can but it for $300. But still I'd rather have a 4.5-4.7 inch screen. No more, no less. I also don't want a 1080p screen. Waste of battery Imo. Rather a 720p screen with better battery life (also, 1080p apparently lags more).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
they are eliminating the buttons.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3YId_dwE99U
I like premise even though for demo of OS made OS seem too complex.

The standard android home, back, and recent app button lay out is fine. I just prefer standard buttons to be utilize in software rather than physical buttons.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I like premise even though for demo of OS made OS seem too complex.

The standard android home, back, and recent app button lay out is fine. I just prefer standard buttons to be utilize in software rather than physical buttons.

I think the gesture swipe thing could catch on. But it is a bit more complicated. Sort of reminds me of the new BB10.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the gesture swipe thing could catch on. But it is a bit more complicated. Sort of reminds me of the new BB10.

The demo did remind me of the BB10 as well. I like a lot features in BB10 that I hope Android soon follows and improves upon.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Why yes, yes I am. XD

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

A bag phone was a cell phone made by Motorola that came in a Black bag, my cousin was a trucker and had one. The handset part pulled out of the bag while the transceiver and battery remained in the bag. Think of a black square lunch bag with a phone that pulls out. This was popular in the early 90s before more "compact" phones came out.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I think it is a matter of taste. Different strokes for different folks. If we all liked the same phone, we'd only have one phoner manufacturer and everyone would have the same phone. There are ample choices of phones with smaller screens, the iphone among them. But then again, I've heard iphone users say, when will apple get the notion that folks want bigger screens. I like my note 2. I have crappy eyesight and the bigger screen just works better for me. I do have smaller hands but to be honest, even when I had smaller phones, I used both hands to text etc for the most part. If more people want smaller screens, they won't buy the bigger screens and mfgs will start making smaller screens. Note 2 has sold pretty well. I've been on the run and needed a "tablet" or laptop kind of functionality and the note 2 works for that. So I won't complain about your small screen if you don't complain about my big screen. :)

I started this thread to say that phones are getting way too big these days. I want to upgrade, but phones are just huge. And finding a good top of the line specced device is nearly impossible. I hope people are on the same page as me. I love how Apple has the nice specced phone that is reasonably sized. Not everybody wants a big phone

Is there anyone out there that agrees???:confused:

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

HeadphoneJack

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Don't know about too big, but I think a lot of manufacturers have been doing a pretty poor job at maximizing display size without increasing the size of the device itself. For instance, my Gnex has at least 4 millimeters of bezel on each side of the display and shaving off some of that bulk would make it almost as compact as an iPhone 5. Fortunately, the positive reception of the Razr M and more recently the Xperia ZL may push other companies to design sleeker phones instead of just increasing their size.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
As I said before, most phone owners want a 4-4.5 inch phone. The latest (december 2012) survey of 4061 north american respondents from changewave.com lends some support to this:

3 inch screen or less: 3%
3.0-3.9 inch screen: 18%
4.0-4.9 inch screen: 52%
5 inch or larger: 27%

I wish the survey broke down the numbers in half am inch increments but it did not. That is why I said SOME evidence. This is the most recent survey that I could find.

Sent from my iPhone 7

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
As I said before, most phone owners want a 4-4.5 inch phone. The latest (december 2012) survey of 4061 north american respondents from changewave.com lends some support to this:

3 inch screen or less: 3%
3.0-3.9 inch screen: 18%
4.0-4.9 inch screen: 52%
5 inch or larger: 27%

I wish the survey broke down the numbers in half am inch increments but it did not. That is why I said SOME evidence. This is the most recent survey that I could find.

Sent from my iPhone 7

4061 is a small group in an industry with over 1billion active units.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
4061 is a small group in an industry with over 1billion active units.

We are talking about a population from North America. In my field of work 800-1000 representative random sample is enough to predict what 330 million Americans believe about politics. I think a 4000 sample size us perfectly adequate for NA.

Sent from my iPhone 7

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
We are talking about a population from North America. In my field of work 800-1000 representative random sample is enough to predict what 330 million Americans believe about politics. I think a 4000 sample size us perfectly adequate for NA.

Sent from my iPhone 7

I don't for either to be honest that's an absolutely tiny sample and begs to be asked what are the details of said study. Was it from a single location, what was the average age group, were these people supplied an example or were they just asked, did they all actually own a smartphone. Also larger phones still are too young the 2013 study will mark the gs3's first full year out as well as the other larger phones being in the wild which I feel will provide better results by 2014 then the studies can really speak as by then both large and small will have had adequate time to influence and sway the markets opinion.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
You need to do some research on statistics and probability. Just as an example, those who looked at polls in for the recent elections knew well in advance that Obama was going to win. They knew that the election was not even close. Check the work of Nate Silver on fivethirtyeight.

How about sales data? Would you believe that?

http://m.cnet.com/news/in-iphone-vs-galaxy-battle-apple-still-way-on-top/57564453

This is the money quote from the article:

"Despite the doom and gloom talk surrounding Apple, its iPhone franchise has still vastly outsold Samsung Electronics' own Galaxy lineup.

That's according to Raymond James analyst Tavis McCourt, who compiled the cumulative sales of the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 and stacked them against the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note smartphones. In total, Apple outsold Samsung 219 million to 131 million."

Considering that the iPhone has been 3.5-4 inch and the Galaxy S and Note series are the best selling Android phones, that is pretty compelling evidence that people want a 4-4.5 inch phone. I know that the numbers do not include other Android OEMs, but they also do not include the iPhone 3G and 3GS. I doubt that the combined numbers of top tier phones of other OEMs will eclipse the sales of ALL iPhones which are 3.5-4 inch in screen size. .

Sent from my iPhone 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez