Samsung and Apple is better than HTC, Sony, Motorola in naming their flagships for the average buyer

Should HTC, Sony, LG, Motorola follow Samsung footstep to name their flagship?

• Total voters

BookReader2

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
It's easier for the average person to identify the flagship of Apple and Samsung.

iphone 4
iphone 4s
iphone 5

Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S4

Samsung Note
Samsung Note 2
Samsung Note 3

It's much harder to identify the flagship if HTC, Sony, Motorola

htc one x
htc one s
htc one v

Xperia S
Xperia T
Xperia J
Xperia V

motorola raz
motorola razr m
motorola maxx
motorola maxx hd

I hope now that LG has set its sight with the LG Optimus G as its flagship, it won't name the predecessor as the LG Optimus G Pro but following in Samsung footstep and do it like this:

LG Optimus G
LG Optimus G2
LG Optimus G3

If LG can successfully make its phablet LG Intuition as their version of Samsung Note flagship, then I would recommending naming them likewise

LG Intuition
LG Intuition 2
LG Intuition 3

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Well hasn't the Razr name been around since those thin Razr flip phones? Far as Moto goes Razr Maxx HD is pretty clear it's the best of the Razr phones.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
motorola raz
motorola razr m
motorola maxx
motorola maxx hd

Older:

Motorola RAZR
Motorola RAZR MAXX

Motorola DROID RAZR
Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX

Current:

Motorola DROID RAZR M

Motorola RAZR i

Motorola DROID RAZR HD
Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Motorola RAZR HD
Motorola RAZR MAXX HD

It's clear that the RAZR is Motorola's halo line. But that's the problem. It's a line of phones. HTC has the same problem with the One-series.

Last edited:

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung and Apple

Sony needs to work on their naming scheme for sure, it's been pretty scattered with all the letters. That being said, their new flagship is the Xperia Z, and I think that's a decent name that gives you a pretty good idea that you're dealing with the flagship model.

Sent from my Sony Xperia P

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Samsung and Apple is better than HTC, Sony, Motorola in naming their flagships for the average joe

Vibrant. Vibrant 4G. Epic 4G. Captivate. Fascinate. Skyrocket. Skyrocket HD. Whatever Sprint's GS 2 was called. Epic Touch 4G or whatever...

Samsung is easily as bad as Motorola. Tons of variants even of the S3 now. You just don't hear as much about them but they're there.

Sony does need better naming, and everyone needs to concentrate on fewer quality phones. IMO.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung and Apple is better than HTC, Sony, Motorola in naming their flagships for the average j

They just need to make better phones and have the same model on all carriers. There is a reason Samsung and apple are making a killi. They aren't conforming to carriers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung and Apple is better than HTC, Sony, Motorola in naming their flagships for the average j

They just need to make better phones and have the same model on all carriers. There is a reason Samsung and apple are making a killi. They aren't conforming to carriers.

There's a little give and take with Samsung. Yes, the Galaxy S III and Note 2 are available on pretty much every relevant carrier. But they're still making carrier versions. And still loading those phones up with carrier bloatware.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

There's a little give and take with Samsung. Yes, the Galaxy S III and Note 2 are available on pretty much every relevant carrier. But they're still making carrier versions. And still loading those phones up with carrier bloatware.

yes but other than that there is no difference. That 1. helps with accessories, and 2 gets phones to be known when you don't have 5 different looking devices with 5 different names for 5 different carriers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

yes but other than that there is no difference. That 1. helps with accessories, and 2 gets phones to be known when you don't have 5 different looking devices with 5 different names for 5 different carriers.

Oh I agree. It's a good thing for Samsung to do that.

My comment was more towards the people that complain about the carriers getting too involved with the handsets. The work isn't done yet.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Back ween phones gave lot of artistic freedom and there was ton of them no body cared about it ; p and most popular phone was Nokia 3310

BookReader2

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
If LG name it the LG Optimus G Pro, then the third predecessor will be LG Optimus G Pro + or LG Optimus G Pro Maxx? lol

LG Optimus G
LG Optimus G2 ---------is better name than LG Optimus G Pro
LG Optimus G3-----------is better name than LG Optimus G Pro+ or whatever it will be named

LG needs to follow Apple and Samsung example in naming their flagships. LG Optimus G is making a name for itself, don't confuse the consumers with adding "Pro." Adding a # is the best way.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
LG is garbage and just needs to stop making phones to be honest. HTC needs to get out of At&t's ass and Moto needs to get off Verizon's Di**. Sony needs to stop only making phones for people in the UK. All three of these companies make better phones than Samsung.

Get the naming scheme right, release to all carriers, or just screw Verizon over (that wouldn't be smart I know I just say that because I despise Verizon) and you will see the market change. Oh one more thing, stop announcing a phone and not release it within a week of the announcement.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
What's HTCs next phone going to be called? The two-x?

I have to agree only Sammy and apple do it right. Especially Samsung since apple only releases one phone a year. Samsung releases a lot of garbage but generally you know if it's a galaxy S or note your getting a flagship

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

teerone

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
LG is garbage and just needs to stop making phones to be honest. HTC needs to get out of At&t's ass and Moto needs to get off Verizon's Di**. Sony needs to stop only making phones for people in the UK. All three of these companies make better phones than Samsung.

Get the naming scheme right, release to all carriers, or just screw Verizon over (that wouldn't be smart I know I just say that because I despise Verizon) and you will see the market change. Oh one more thing, stop announcing a phone and not release it within a week of the announcement.

Agreed man death to Verizon! They are overpriced and over praised.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung and Apple is better than HTC, Sony, Motorola in naming their fla

Carriers purchase the phones on their network. If a carrier does not want it, they do not have to take it. It is not as simple as a manufacture just releasing a phone on a network. Yes they have to try to get on networks(which they do not always do), but it is not ultimately their decision. The ONLY reason the the s3 is on all networks is because ot the hype and advertising behind it. Same thing for the iphone. Carriers like verizon only allow it on thier network because they realize that it could bring them customers. The other manufactures like htc will have to have an industry halo device to get back on multiable carriers again. Until then it will be droids and misfits :(

I personally dont like verizon either, but until someone else has a network as good as theirs, i am stuck. ATT is close, but not there yet, and i will avoid giving them my money for political reasons on top of that...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Easier said than done.

And if LG, HTC, or Motorola decide to not play ball with a carrier, there's a ZTE or Huawei ready to swoop in.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Huawei already is the 3rd largest manufacture but cricket is giving zte a bad name. They phone suck as haha.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Moto has the right idea with the razr line, makes sense after all the V3 was probably their most popular phone ever, makes sense to name your new flagships after it. Problem is Verizon swooped in and made the name theirs and now they are left without a clear flagship in the states. That needs to change. No more "DROID" razr, just razr, at&t should be rocking a razr not the atrix line.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Moto has the right idea with the razr line, makes sense after all the V3 was probably their most popular phone ever, makes sense to name your new flagships after it. Problem is Verizon swooped in and made the name theirs and now they are left without a clear flagship in the states. That needs to change. No more "DROID" razr, just razr, at&t should be rocking a razr not the atrix line.

I think we're pretty much all in agreement that all of these OEMs need to have pretty much the same phone available on all networks (like the S3, Note 2, and iPhone 4 and up).

But it's probably not as easy as we make it seem to be.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah truth is only Apple and Samsung have enough pull to get their way on carriers. Carriers practically begged apple to make phones for them and Samsung wasn't always so great either, I mean I had an original Galaxy S, but it wasn't called a Galaxy S. It was the Samsung Captivate, and it didn't have a rear flash, or front camera as at&t requested those be removed. And it had a radically different design that looked nothing like the international version, and it didn't stop there, between all 4 carriers there were at least 20 or more variations of the original galaxy s. Things were better for the galaxy s2, and finally by the time the 3 came out Samsung was a large enough to give them pull in design choices.

Thing is every carrier wants apple and Samsung and it would hurt then dramatically to loose either one, but with HTC, LG or Motorola, they'd probably just say "ok bye", and most of the GP wouldn't even notice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty