iPhone Mini to be announced Summer 2013?

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an Android forum, so bear with me! I did a quick search and couldn't find any other threads on this.

Apple is rumored to be releasing a iPhone "mini" (not necessarily smaller). I guess I would compare this to the galaxy s3 and s3 mini?

Curved, colorful, cheaper ‘iPhone Mini’ and iPhone 5S to be launched in July, analyst says | VentureBeat

The reason I bring this up is that I always thought one of android's advantages were low-cost/entry level hardware which equates to a lot of market share. If iPhone starts competing in this price range, what do you think that will mean for Android's market share? Didn't hear rumors of whether or not this would hit the North American market.

thoughts?

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an Android forum, so bear with me! I did a quick search and couldn't find any other threads on this.

Apple is rumored to be releasing a iPhone "mini" (not necessarily smaller). I guess I would compare this to the galaxy s3 and s3 mini?

Curved, colorful, cheaper ?iPhone Mini? and iPhone 5S to be launched in July, analyst says | VentureBeat

The reason I bring this up is that I always thought one of android's advantages were low-cost/entry level hardware which equates to a lot of market share. If iPhone starts competing in this price range, what do you think that will mean for Android's market share? Didn't hear rumors of whether or not this would hit the North American market.

thoughts?

True iPhone has a huge market share but one phone with a few models like 4, 4S and 5 etc. 3 iPads and a Mini. The last time I looked under Devices on this forum there were too many Android phones to count and tablets so therefore I don't see Android going south anytime soon. Android and iPhone will always captivate the Smartphone market.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
That's true, I guess this would be similar to getting a iPhone 4 free on contract nowadays. They do have the lower priced options in that regard. I by no means think this would take down Android, I just think that it might turn even more entry-level consumers to Apple. If you consider 15% market share based on one device ( admittedly with different generations), adding another device could sway a couple % points in favour of Apple.

I guess the biggest thing Apple could do to sway Android users though would be to update their UI/OS to something from this decade.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I hope that they take away some of the low end market. Android has gotten too bad a rap from the crappie low end market. Of apple enters it, it should drive up the quality of the android devices in that market. Plus fewer people that really wanted an iPhone will end up with a cheaper android that they ultimately hate.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I like the way you guys think. I would love to see some more android devices in the 300-400 price range like the nexus 4, but that was heavily subsidized by Google. Even still, the s3 mini, HTC first (sans facebook home) are some good examples of mid range devices that could compete against a lower end apple.

My mom, (without consulting me!) got one of those low end samsung galaxy knockoffs (ace or something?). Because of this, she's like, "oh, my friends' iPhones are much better. I want one of those." Unfortunately the rep at the carrier store didn't sell her the s3, even though she asked for a high end phone with no budget.

andyhall89

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Curved, colorful, cheaper ?iPhone Mini? and iPhone 5S to be launched in July, analyst says | VentureBeat

thoughts?

*Looks at the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 and the coming S4 and One*

ONE of Android's advantages was low cost to entry. But Android is also destroying iOS at the high end as well. Besides, wasn't the iPad Mini meant to be the tablet version of this rumoured phone? A low cost entry to iOS tablet computing? Look what happened there. A shrunk down iPad 2 sold for $80 more than the superior Nexus 7.