Thoughts on a Nexus Phablet?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I know not everyone likes Phablets, but I do personally feel Google would do well to cater to the regular and phablet crowds much like they do their tablets and Chromebooks. If I could get a 5.5-6" phablet running pure Android I would be very happy. Sure someone like Samsung could make a special pack for a GN3 running pure Android for a specific user base. But Google seems to be saying Motorola will not be going the bigger than 5" phone route, in fact staying more in the 4.5-4.8" realm. Disappointing to me as a pure Nexus experience should be possible on ANY phone.

If you pay retail, full retail for your phone (like a Nexus) you should be able to get your bootloader unlocked and be able to go AOSP on your phone without hassle or carrier blocking.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't know that a stock AOSP ROM would look right at phablet size.

Almost certainly Moto will eventually make large 5+ and a medium 4.5-ish phones, will that satisfy you?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Technically 5" would have been considered a phablet 3 years ago, so you could say the Google Edition S4 is a phablet.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Almost certainly Moto will eventually make large 5+ and a medium 4.5-ish phones, will that satisfy you?

Looks pretty good on a nexus 7 :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Technically 5" would have been considered a phablet 3 years ago, so you could say the Google Edition S4 is a phablet.

But that was 3 years ago. Today's standards are 5.5" and above. I had the S4 and it still felt small to me, I ended up getting the LG OG Pro and when the GN3 comes along I will consider that as well. Of course now there are rumors of an S4 Mega so likely a GN2 minus the Note features. They need to be careful they don't dilute the brand too much and not given customers a reason to buy the GN3 in the fall.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, it looks good on a N7, N10.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I would like to see Moto regain their former glory, they certainly can do it better and faster than Nokia can but pushing out the XFON with mid range specs is not the way to make a big splash. They have shown they can put a huge battery in a small phone, so that's a start, now how about some hardware worth buying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress