The 6th generation Nexus smartphone will be named __________?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The first Nexus was called the Nexus One and it was not a 1 inch screen. All of the non-Samsung Nexus devices - Nexus 1, Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 all correlate to Nexus phone generation not screen size. I am not sure why you are bringing Nexus tablet naming convention into the Nexus phone discussion, it is a different market segment.

You're right, the Nexus One was not a one inch screen. However the Nexus S wasn't called the Nexus 2 and the Galaxy Nexus wasn't the Nexus 3, so there goes your 'generation' naming convention. Google have changed their naming convention beginning with the Nexus 7 where their devices are now named after their screen size, not generation:

Nexus 4 = 4.7" screen
Nexus 5 = 5" screen
Nexus 7 = 7" screen
Nexus 10 = 10" screen

Don't think it can be explained any easier than that.

If what you're saying is right, and it's based on the phone generation, then the next Nexus phone should be named Nexus 6? And then what about the phone after that? The Nexus 7? Oh well now, we have a problem here don't we?

So in 2015 (according to you) we can expect a Nexus 7 phone, which......shares the same name with at least two (possibly 3 or more) Nexus 7 tablets? Yeah, no, that's not happening.

The next Nexus phone will be named again the 'Nexus 5', will be differentiated by it's year (2014) and will most probably have another screen around 5" in size. Just as last year's Nexus 7 was still the Nexus 7 and was known as the 2013 model.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Since Motorola is sold to Lenovo, most likely the supplier of new nexus will be LG... and the name could still be Nexus 5 just with some postfix

Google kept all the MOTO patents when sold to lenovo and recently last day or so lenovo just purchased 3800 patents that used to be NEC. I think we are going to find MOTO will be a complete different company that what we have seen in the past. Lenovo seems to want to make a big name for themselves in the mobil world. Time will tell what lenovo does or does not do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's name it Roy Batty.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I just said it would be fitting as there would be only one more number until they overlap the tablet line so why not only one more device.:)

I don't necessarily believe they are killing off the nexus line however.

I'll gladly take you're 5 bucks if they do though. (But I'd rather have the nexus devices around honestly).
I have a change of mind. I don't even care if there is a Nexus 6 anymore. I know there will be one, but there are some good choices for Android phones with stock Android out there now, I don't have the incentive to get a Nexus device like I used to in the past.

There are other devices that run either stock Android or CyanogenMod like: Moto, HTC, Oppo, OnePlus. Motorola and the Chinese ones have better hardware than Nexus without much extra cost. Battery life have always been a low point for Nexus phones as well. In a way, it's not a bad thing because I think this is what Google wanted.

I'm more interested in the Moto X+1 and Project Ara currently.

deftdrummer

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Except their phones have been hit or miss as of late and Motorola I don't feel is in a stable position to create the true vision of a Nexus device that Google would use.

Google has never tapped Motorola for a nexus device in the past so I find it hard to believe that they would start now.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Google has never tapped Motorola for a nexus device in the past so I find it hard to believe that they would start now.

There was a time where people probably said the same thing about LG, but look at the results with the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. I think we shouldn't dismiss any company, whether it's Motorola or someone else.