The Motorola Xoom tablet won't have 4G? So what!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Laughing this afternoon at the "new" revelation that the Motorola tablet will be called "Xoom." That's not a new name and has been seen for a few weeks now after it was trademarked and what not.

And all this noise about it not being 4G-capable. I'm fine with that, and here's why -- I'm betting we'll see some sort of LTE-capable companion -- Mifi, phone, tethering device ... Something.

So don't sweat it. Don't freak out. LTE in due time. :)

gadgetluva

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I would rather get a WiFi only XOOM anyways, I can WiFi tether with my Evo with 4G as it is. Now, if I was going to pay for LTE, is want something like a mifi anyways so I could get that 4G goodness on multiple devices at once...draining my 5-10GB of data in days lol

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Just another way to rake us over the coals. Sure this tablet has 4g but u need this 4g mifi to tether which adds another line and another data plan. So my dream is dashed stingray is dead xoom looms. And like the X theyll show us it running honeycomb and all its wonderment but ship it with gingerbread. And release it in July. Life is good.

RRollergod

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Didn't we hear a while back that it would be "hardware upgradable" to LTE?

Wouldn't that be as simple as putting in one of those LTE sim cards? Would that be considered a "hardware upgrade"?

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh well we all had an idea this may come about. Especially if you read different places as it was rumored but not a forgone conclusion. Either way i'd love to have LTE & all the speeds but if anyone has been reading up the handoff between CDMA to LTE is horrible that is why Verizon rushed it not just to be the first or biggest but due to the fact they have a huge curve aheard of them GSM(HSPDA) or the + version has an easier transition & backward compatible as well. So I honestly don't blame them for not bringing it out on a device that will be in competetion with an iCompany's tab lol. Either way you smart folks out there really should be leary of LTE with verizon & I'm a customer of theirs. Remember end of 2012-2013 is when cdma hopefully caN be fully dropped as they say but we'll see hahaha. That's just my 2cents

kellex

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
The point of the XOOM talk today is the fact that it'll be called the "DROID XOOM" and that it won't have an LTE radio. The word XOOM isn't new, but we've seen confirmation that it'll be DROID branded which is "new".

Reactions: michael styles

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
I would rather get a WiFi only XOOM anyways....

With ya on that; I figure I'd only use a tablet where I've got WiFi such as home or office. I don't need it in my car and I've got my mini-tablet (Droid) for that.

I imagine the day when Google with certify a WiFi-only tablet is not too far off, but their strategy of only blessing phone-enabled devices was good to get buy-in from the cell phone companies.

EvanJ18

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
ill buy the XOOM and tether it to the Thunderbolt and thus rule the world! But yeah no LTE doesnt bother me none. most everywhere i frequent has wifi so my Inc barely uses 3g as it is.

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not too fond of the "XOOM" name by any means but having the Droid in front of it helps for sure with many. More reconizable that way & easier to market to the aware public. I mean shoot my father has a TMO Vibrant & for some godly reason he thinks its a droid & his friend calls his myTouch 3G a myDroid lmfao.....ya ok ok they are anDROID phones but its a sell point Verizon uses. Either way I'm excited to see this Tab in action as I may just swoop up a WiFi model if available with the right pricing. Thnx Verizon for holdin' off on the LTE too don't wanna chunk load of issues from customers or PR people bashing it when the competetion(iTablet lol) won't have anything on 4G network as well even with a new model comming.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm hearing we can't use our Android phones to tether to an Android tablet. It doesn't recognize the type of signal out phones send out as wifi. Is this true? Because I plan on buying a Xoom off contract and just tethering; it'll be great when I buy a LTE device.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Some additional info popped up to clarify the 4G connectivity situation with the Motorola DROID Xoom tablet. The access to Verizon's LTE network won't be built-in, as we already knew, but rather there will be an option to insert a separate 4G modem into a PCI Express slot that will be on the tablet. How much will it cost, is still unknown, but if you are willing to splurge $50/$80 for 5GB/10GB monthly traffic, the cost of retrofitting it with the modem probably won't be deterrent. I found this at phonedog this would b sweet setup.