I really want a Nexus 7 (2016/2017) model

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I really, really want a decent spec'ed Nexus 7 2016/2017 model to be released by Google. How much of a no brainer can that be? Sell them by the truckload at Best Buy and on Amazon.

wonderbread

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Why would a new Nexus be any more popular this year than other years?

To reduce development costs they almost always have gone with a slight variant of an already released phone. It's usually a very good phone but not a specs trail blazer. This coming nexus will be no different, using the HTC 10 as a base. It will appeal to some due to frequent updates and vanilla android (if you're into that) but it won't be more popular than a Galaxy.

Posted via the Android Central App

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait to get my hands on one! Of course, it may be a year from now... But still. ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Why would a new Nexus be any more popular this year than other year's?

Mainly because there hasn't been a new one in two years, and that one wasn't well received. I think most also want a smaller size than the N9 and want it to cost much less. Both N7's were very well received. I believe a refreshed N7 2016 priced right will do well.

sfukr

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Going to sell better as the carriers will be selling them this year. Wished they'd announce a price and availability date soon as I'm in need of a new phone. I might not wait and go for a Moto Z Force instead.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Mainly because there hasn't been a new one in two years, and that one wasn't well received. I think most also want a smaller size than the N9 and want it to cost much less. Both N7's were very well received. I believe a refreshed N7 2016 priced right will do well.

I had both the 2012 and 2013 N7's. Never saw the appeal of the larger models - the 7" really hit the sweet spot trifecta (functionality/size/price). My '13 model died about a year ago, but the '12 is still chugging along just fine (albeit not at the speed of its newer brethren).

I'll throw my hat in with those who'd appreciate a '16/'17 refresh at a reasonable price, but would not be surprised if we don't see further Nexus tablets. Nexus is principled in laying integrated software/hardware groundwork examples for its vision of the ongoing evolution of mobile platforms, but tablets have become obsolescent, especially the smaller ones with the rise of phablets (my Nexus 6 is my go-to mobile media device at the moment, with great sound, display, and portability). With tablets no longer a growth market and sales on the decline, they're unlikely to push far in that direction much longer.

But... if they do roll out one more... a new and proper Nexus 7 (7"ish minimum 1080, preferably 2k display, good stereo front-facing speakers, long battery life) would be the way to go, and I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Me too! I loved the original nexus 7 (it is what got me into tablets). The Shield K1 tablet was about as close as we had to a decent spec'd smaller tablet that got quick updates. Come on Google, make it happen.

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Agreed, when I switched to Android from iPhone last month I started looking for a good tablet as well, something faster than my 2012 Nexus 7 but not as big and pricey as my iPad Air. It seems there really isn't a good option right now. I'd buy an updated Nexus 7 priced under $250 in a minute.

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I've got both N7s and I had an N9... the 2013 N7 I have is in perfect condition and still working perfectly. But I still hope they come out with a new one this year and I would definitely buy one! If nothing else just for the latest Android version and quick updates...

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Now that the Nvidia Shield seems to be canceled I really hope that Google launches a nexus mid range tablet.
Love my 12 inch dual boot (windows 10 and Android 5.1) Chuwi Hi12 Tablet, though. For 200 bucks it can't be beat

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I use several Nexus 7 (2013) around my house for my home automation. It's the perfect size. It is the only tablet I know of with wireless charging so I can put tablet docks around the house that don't require plugging the tablet in. Especially convenient for bedside night stand. I even have one mounted on the wall using a wireless charger that has a magnet to hold it on. I would like the same with perhaps updated CPU but these actually still run fine.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I use several Nexus 7 (2013) around my house for my home automation. It's the perfect size. It is the only tablet I know of with wireless charging so I can put tablet docks around the house that don't require plugging the tablet in. Especially convenient for bedside night stand. I even have one mounted on the wall using a wireless charger that has a magnet to hold it on. I would like the same with perhaps updated CPU but these actually still run fine.
What do you mean by "automation"?

rahul3555

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Judging by the popularity of Nexus 7 (2013), its long due for an update with latest hardware and software. And the time now is all the more important as N7 (2013) has reached EOL and will not receive any future updates including Android N :/ :'(

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Lighting control via Insteon, Door lock control via Schlage, Nest climate and smoke detector control, Logitech Harmony for TV, Plex server for movies, IP Security cameras, Sonos throughout the house, Rachio irrigation control. I use a tile themed skin to make it all look good.

Blacklac

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually seeing a lot of Nexus 7 2016 speculation articles the last few days... One can hope.

I love my Nexus 7 2013 and have been wanting an upgrade lately. I wouldn't mind a Nexus 8 either, honestly.

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, please, my 2013 nexus 7 is getting long in the teeth, and I'll greatly miss it once it's gone. Other 7" tabs don't really get much better specs (in fact, many current 7" tabs are a downgrade compared to the 2013 N7, as they come with 1280x800 screens or even less), and they aren't substantially cheaper than what the N7 was either.

Sure, phones are getting bigger, but I feel that 5" is the highest I'm comfortable in a phone. Meanwhile, 7" is perfect to carry around, and even fits into large pants pockets.