MAkes me wonder if current phones are Ice Cream sandwich upgradable

Austineasleyinfo

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I think it will be programmable to work with either. There is no way their releasing phones, i.e. the nexus s, which has dedicated buttons, and not upgrading it to ics. It's just not something google would do.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine that Google would leave older phones, the Nexus S in particular, in the dust. I agree that Ice Cream Sandwich will probably either work with or without capacitive buttons, or we'll be able to run ICS on older phones without the need to use the capacitive buttons.

lafester

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
it would be kind of silly to release a phone os without any button support.
the point is with ics you will be able to make a phone without buttons if you want to.
as screen size keeps getting bigger, the need for physical buttons diminishes so it is good to have both options available.

testt

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Look what I found.
YouTube - ‪American Airlines commercial "A Whole World is Missing"‬‏
0:24

phone.jpg

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
it would be kind of silly to release a phone os without any button support.
the point is with ics you will be able to make a phone without buttons if you want to.
as screen size keeps getting bigger, the need for physical buttons diminishes so it is good to have both options available.

Furthermore, I can't imagine Google releasing a new OS - as per Google, scheduled for 4Q 2011 - where none of the current phones or those to be released later this year won't be able to run, specially the Nexus S - Google's own.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I have tried to move my EVO around in different lighting but I cannot get the buttons on the bottom to ever appear as though they are on a light gray backbround.

screen protectors commonly give that effect when in weird lighting. but more importantly if you watch the video around the :24 second mark and keep an eye on the notification bar you'll see it slide with the picture. it is merely a screen capture on an EVO with a screen protector.

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: MAkes me wonder if current phones are Ice Cream sandwich upgr

Late to the party but, I dont think current phones will be able to support ICS. If they are don't be suprised if only HTC updates your phone.

c_86

HaXoR Master
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

i hope ICS will be able to be used on older devices... but really only time will tell.... to me its just another reason to get another device... lets just hope they continue to make devices that dont have giant screens (hate that)

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

It's not like ICS has been stripped of all hard button support - think of sliders and such. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if current devices aren't supported though, simply because it seems to be a rather large overhaul when compared to 2.3.x.

Scottatron

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

I highly doubt Goog will do what Apple did with their 3G, they (Google) will make sure ICS runs on previous model phones.

bjones521

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

I highly doubt Goog will do what Apple did with their 3G, they (Google) will make sure ICS runs on previous model phones.

I wouldnt be suprised! Google has to support all phones with ICS. During their keynote they had pics of all these phones saying it would be a vast OS!