Lack of BT 4 an issue?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I believe the 4S was the first phone with Bluetooth 4 to be followed by the RAZR.

While both phones dont have NFC, they both have BT 4 and the GN does not.

Is the lack of BT 4 on the GN an issue in the near future?

My understanding is that BT 4 is easier on battery life when compared to BT 3. I am a little surprized the GN doesnt support BT 4.

How about you?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lack of BT 4 an issue??

I use bluetooth... I use cm7, so I turn it on and off as needed. When I see I accidently left it on, I turn it off. No issues. i use it in the car only, so battery drain isn't a problem. I may occassionally use it to transfer files to and from my computer if they are small enough.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Being compliant with a standard such as Bluetooth 4 does not necessarily mean that said standard will be present. Both sources could be correct -- it may very well be Bluetooth 4 compliant, yet ship with a lower version number (3.0, for example).

That's right, the chip may be BT4 compatible but unless the OS supports BT4 features the device would be considered BT3. I suppose that it could be enabled by a software update.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

BitGambit

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I think it remains to be seen just how much power is saved for phones with BT4.0 hardware as opposed to BT3.0. I think it will be negligible.

When they say "low-power connectivity," that means it can connect to low-power devices like pedometers, heart and glucose monitors (Devices that use button cell batteries that use extremely low energy but can last years). Another example is this:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/52804888-80/bluetooth-devices-smart-chip.html.csp
Casio of Japan has said it will introduce a watch in late December that’s Bluetooth Smart[4.0]. It will be able to link to a smartphone and alert the wearer to incoming emails and text messages by beeping and vibrating. Sony Ericsson had a watch five years ago that used regular Bluetooth to do the same things the Casio watch will be able to do. But the Sony Ericsson watch weighed nearly half a pound because of its big, rechargeable battery, and it lasted only three weeks on a charge.

Another description of BT4:
http://gigaom.com/apple/the-secret-payload-of-the-iphone-4s-bluetooth-4-0/
What can Bluetooth 4.0 do for you? Thus far, not much. Bluetooth 4.0 requires both sending and receiving devices to have the technology on board before it can really start showing benefits for users. As mentioned above, it works fine with devices using older versions of the spec, but it doesn't get to take advantage of any of its power-saving features with Bluetooth 3.0 or lower

I was hoping Galaxy Nexus would have Bluetooth 4.0, but now I don't really care. I do not plan to purchase any new Bluetooth 4.0 devices for the as long as I own the SGN anyway.

solido888

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
That's right, the chip may be BT4 compatible but unless the OS supports BT4 features the device would be considered BT3. I suppose that it could be enabled by a software update.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Maybe I am missing something, but OP says the RAZR supports BT4, so how could the GN not support BT4?

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Support for BT 4.0? Would be nice... but unless I missed the boat (which is possible, but don't think so) exactly how many BT 4.0 peripherals are available at the moment?

solido888

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
r u serious?

Yes I am serious. If you see the post I quoted, he states that it is OS dependent. So it would follow (logically) that ICS would support it, if a gingerbread phone does.

R U serious? Perhaps that is a tough concept for you (and infernalman7 apparently) to grasp. It is not analogous to camera MPs.

Last edited:

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes I am serious. If you see the post I quoted, he states that it is OS dependent. So it would follow (logically) that ICS would support it, if a gingerbread phone does.

R U serious? Perhaps that is a tough concept for you (and infernalman7 apparently) to grasp. It is not analogous to camera MPs.

Gingerbread does not necessarily support Bluetooth 4.0 it could easily be an addition Motorola made as a part of blur. If so then it is understandable that ics may not support it

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Ouch... no sarcasm radar here at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith