Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Encrypting Micro SD card

    I purchased the 16GB version because of the 64GB SD card. When I tried to download (buy) some movies from the Samsung Hub, I found out that licensed material couldn't be stored on the micro SD card. Well dang! I would have purchased the 32GB if I'd known. So during a conversation with Samsung Exe Care, I found out I could encrypt the SD card and store movies, etc on it.

    So far, the Settings/Control/Security to encrypt isn't working. I think it's because the unit isn't charged to 80% yet (altho it's plugged in).
    The system DID manage to set a lock pattern on the front screen. I was hoping that I didn't need to do that since I don't want to encrypt the tablet, just the SD card. So my first question is...will I be able to encrypt ONLY the SD card?
    Question #2...how do I transfer movies to the encrypted SD card? Just a simple drag and drop?

    One more question, unrelated...when do you think we'll see an update to KitKat on this tab (if ever)?

    Thanks
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    I really don't think you can copy Samsung hub movies to an sd card. maybe he meant other movies you may have? not 100% sure, but would love to learn I'm wrong ;-)
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    I am a newbie, and getting ready to get a 10.1 2014, so if my question sounds stupid, you already know the reason.

    I have a Note 3, with a 64 gb card..I take DVD movies that I have purchased, and transferred/converted them to the 64gb SD card I have in my Note 3.. No problems.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardNote3 View Post
    I am a newbie, and getting ready to get a 10.1 2014, so if my question sounds stupid, you already know the reason.

    I have a Note 3, with a 64 gb card..I take DVD movies that I have purchased, and transferred/converted them to the 64gb SD card I have in my Note 3.. No problems.
    If you mean can you use the 64g card that has your converted movies, in your Note 10.1 2014 the answer is yes. :-)
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    And micro sd card can only used if they fat 32 so you can only copy movies not bigger than 4gb or you have to cut them in 2

    Verstuurd van mijn SM-P600
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by damoi020 View Post
    And micro sd card can only used if they fat 32 so you can only copy movies not bigger than 4gb or you have to cut them in 2

    Verstuurd van mijn SM-P600
    you can also format then with Xfat, (windows xp sp2 or later) then you don't have the file size limit. And they work fine in any android device
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I really don't think you can copy Samsung hub movies to an sd card. maybe he meant other movies you may have? not 100% sure, but would love to learn I'm wrong ;-)
    I told ts that I was going to spend the $75 in credits on movies from Samsung Hub and Google Play Store. Anyone with encryption experience?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    Not a huge fan of Samsung tech support. I think they are wrong or did not really know. Again I'd be glad to be wrong. Hope someone can offer info
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    these movies are 1GB each. I'm downloading standard, not HD
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Not a huge fan of Samsung tech support. I think they are wrong or did not really know. Again I'd be glad to be wrong. Hope someone can offer info
    Not a fan of what it took to GET to technical service. Good grief! Maybe they should implement a new standard in hiring requirements. "Must have at least an 8th grade education, comprehension and listening skills".
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    Not a fan of what it took to GET to technical service. Good grief! Maybe they should implement a new standard in hiring requirements. "Must have at least an 8th grade education, comprehension and listening skills".
    yep. They are really poor. I just called too and they confirmed to me, you can NOT copy/save hub or google play movies to an external sd card. maybe with their poor comprehension skills they were referring to the tablets internal storage, which is considered an sd card.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    yep. They are really poor. I just called too and they confirmed to me, you can NOT copy/save hub or google play movies to an external sd card. maybe with their poor comprehension skills they were referring to the tablets internal storage, which is considered an sd card.
    I spoke with Executive Care. This procedure is in the manual so it's perfectly legit. But the way I understood the screen instructions, you can encrypt the the memory card without encrypting the device. I've gotten to the point of starting the encryption but it doesn't give me the option of doing this just on my memory card. I'm really hesitant to encrypt the entire device. It takes over an hour to perform the procedure. This is why I was hoping to find someone that knew more about it.
    Encrypting Micro SD card-capture.jpg
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    I encrypted the SD card, but still cant move the movies that I purchased from the G-Play store. Can I down those Items I purchased directly from the G-play store to my PC, then put them on the SD Card?
    I have the 16GB Note.
    Thanks.
    Always lost...
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    I think the whole point of encrypting the Note and its Ext SD card is to prevent any media copied to the SD card from being used in any other device. Both Google Play and Samsung Hub do NOT want you saving hard copy of files, to be able to move it from device to device, OR share it with any other devices. Best thing is to get the movies "other ways" , either buy hard copy DVDs and get some converter software to save them to MP4 files, OR go the torrent route (shhhh you did not hear that from me )
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    I purchased the 16GB version because of the 64GB SD card. When I tried to download (buy) some movies from the Samsung Hub, I found out that licensed material couldn't be stored on the micro SD card. Well dang! I would have purchased the 32GB if I'd known. So during a conversation with Samsung Exe Care, I found out I could encrypt the SD card and store movies, etc on it.

    So far, the Settings/Control/Security to encrypt isn't working. I think it's because the unit isn't charged to 80% yet (altho it's plugged in).
    The system DID manage to set a lock pattern on the front screen. I was hoping that I didn't need to do that since I don't want to encrypt the tablet, just the SD card. So my first question is...will I be able to encrypt ONLY the SD card?
    Question #2...how do I transfer movies to the encrypted SD card? Just a simple drag and drop?

    One more question, unrelated...when do you think we'll see an update to KitKat on this tab (if ever)?

    Thanks
    Samsung exe care is wrong, digital contents are DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected and its locked to the device that been downloaded too with a encryption key that "tells" what device can play the digital content. So moving to any external media are prohibited.

    To encrypt the tablet or sd card also is a bad idea.
    1. It will slow down the perfomance on the device and lags might be noticeable.
    2. Wont receive any firmware updates, need to decrypt the device first before can download and update.
    3. Encryption is irreversible. You cannot toggle encryption on or off. The only way to remove it is to perform a factory reset, which also wipes your device’s data.
    4. Encypted sdcard will be lost forever, if any hardreset are made to the tablet and encryption keys will also all be deleted. Without them there are no way do decrypt the sd card.

    There are ways to remove DRM digital contents, but its a hard way to do it and time to do it arent worth it.
    In short:

    1. Use computer to buy and download the digital contens to computer.
    2. Use DRM removal program, to remove DRM and convert to any media file that android device are supported to play. (movies ex mp4, music ex mp3. Depend on the program, what files are supported to convert to)
    3. Move DRM removed/converted files to android device or whatever device want to. Since DRM is removed and can freely move anywhere.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    I am not finding under security settings the option to encrypt my external micro SD card (only the device) with my new GN 2014. I upgraded from the GN 10.1 which had the option. How do I encrypt the micro SD on GN 2014?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Encrypting Micro SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by lsmagill View Post
    I am not finding under security settings the option to encrypt my external micro SD card (only the device) with my new GN 2014. I upgraded from the GN 10.1 which had the option. How do I encrypt the micro SD on GN 2014?
    The option to encrypt an External SD Card was unfortunately removed with an update.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't move apps to SD card
    By dcfc561 in forum Android 2.3 Gingerbread
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM
  2. 8gb memory card galaxy s3 mini
    By spangle216 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
  3. Hi all- micro sd card issue
    By Rene Kraus in forum Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 07:31 PM
  4. GoPayment credit card reader not working on MAXX
    By mlh MAXX in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions