Encrypting Micro SD card

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the 16GB version because of the 64GB SD card. When I tried to download (buy) some movies from the Samsung Hub, I found out that licensed material couldn't be stored on the micro SD card. Well dang! I would have purchased the 32GB if I'd known. So during a conversation with Samsung Exe Care, I found out I could encrypt the SD card and store movies, etc on it.

So far, the Settings/Control/Security to encrypt isn't working. I think it's because the unit isn't charged to 80% yet (altho it's plugged in).
The system DID manage to set a lock pattern on the front screen. I was hoping that I didn't need to do that since I don't want to encrypt the tablet, just the SD card. So my first question is...will I be able to encrypt ONLY the SD card?
Question #2...how do I transfer movies to the encrypted SD card? Just a simple drag and drop?

One more question, unrelated...when do you think we'll see an update to KitKat on this tab (if ever)?

Thanks

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think you can copy Samsung hub movies to an sd card. maybe he meant other movies you may have? not 100% sure, but would love to learn I'm wrong ;-)

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I am a newbie, and getting ready to get a 10.1 2014, so if my question sounds stupid, you already know the reason. :D

I have a Note 3, with a 64 gb card..I take DVD movies that I have purchased, and transferred/converted them to the 64gb SD card I have in my Note 3.. No problems.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I am a newbie, and getting ready to get a 10.1 2014, so if my question sounds stupid, you already know the reason. :D

I have a Note 3, with a 64 gb card..I take DVD movies that I have purchased, and transferred/converted them to the 64gb SD card I have in my Note 3.. No problems.

If you mean can you use the 64g card that has your converted movies, in your Note 10.1 2014 the answer is yes. :)

damoi020

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
And micro sd card can only used if they fat 32 so you can only copy movies not bigger than 4gb or you have to cut them in 2

Verstuurd van mijn SM-P600

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
And micro sd card can only used if they fat 32 so you can only copy movies not bigger than 4gb or you have to cut them in 2

Verstuurd van mijn SM-P600

you can also format then with Xfat, (windows xp sp2 or later) then you don't have the file size limit. And they work fine in any android device

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I really don't think you can copy Samsung hub movies to an sd card. maybe he meant other movies you may have? not 100% sure, but would love to learn I'm wrong ;-)

I told ts that I was going to spend the $75 in credits on movies from Samsung Hub and Google Play Store. Anyone with encryption experience?

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Not a huge fan of Samsung tech support. I think they are wrong or did not really know. Again I'd be glad to be wrong. Hope someone can offer info

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Not a huge fan of Samsung tech support. I think they are wrong or did not really know. Again I'd be glad to be wrong. Hope someone can offer info

Not a fan of what it took to GET to technical service. Good grief! Maybe they should implement a new standard in hiring requirements. "Must have at least an 8th grade education, comprehension and listening skills".

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Not a fan of what it took to GET to technical service. Good grief! Maybe they should implement a new standard in hiring requirements. "Must have at least an 8th grade education, comprehension and listening skills".

yep. They are really poor. I just called too and they confirmed to me, you can NOT copy/save hub or google play movies to an external sd card. maybe with their poor comprehension skills they were referring to the tablets internal storage, which is considered an sd card.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
yep. They are really poor. I just called too and they confirmed to me, you can NOT copy/save hub or google play movies to an external sd card. maybe with their poor comprehension skills they were referring to the tablets internal storage, which is considered an sd card.

I spoke with Executive Care. This procedure is in the manual so it's perfectly legit. But the way I understood the screen instructions, you can encrypt the the memory card without encrypting the device. I've gotten to the point of starting the encryption but it doesn't give me the option of doing this just on my memory card. I'm really hesitant to encrypt the entire device. It takes over an hour to perform the procedure. This is why I was hoping to find someone that knew more about it.
Capture.JPG

LostDucati

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I encrypted the SD card, but still cant move the movies that I purchased from the G-Play store. Can I down those Items I purchased directly from the G-play store to my PC, then put them on the SD Card?
I have the 16GB Note.
Thanks.
Always lost...

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I think the whole point of encrypting the Note and its Ext SD card is to prevent any media copied to the SD card from being used in any other device. Both Google Play and Samsung Hub do NOT want you saving hard copy of files, to be able to move it from device to device, OR share it with any other devices. Best thing is to get the movies "other ways" , either buy hard copy DVDs and get some converter software to save them to MP4 files, OR go the torrent route (shhhh you did not hear that from me ;) )

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I purchased the 16GB version because of the 64GB SD card. When I tried to download (buy) some movies from the Samsung Hub, I found out that licensed material couldn't be stored on the micro SD card. Well dang! I would have purchased the 32GB if I'd known. So during a conversation with Samsung Exe Care, I found out I could encrypt the SD card and store movies, etc on it.

So far, the Settings/Control/Security to encrypt isn't working. I think it's because the unit isn't charged to 80% yet (altho it's plugged in).
The system DID manage to set a lock pattern on the front screen. I was hoping that I didn't need to do that since I don't want to encrypt the tablet, just the SD card. So my first question is...will I be able to encrypt ONLY the SD card?
Question #2...how do I transfer movies to the encrypted SD card? Just a simple drag and drop?

One more question, unrelated...when do you think we'll see an update to KitKat on this tab (if ever)?

Thanks

Samsung exe care is wrong, digital contents are DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected and its locked to the device that been downloaded too with a encryption key that "tells" what device can play the digital content. So moving to any external media are prohibited.

To encrypt the tablet or sd card also is a bad idea.
1. It will slow down the perfomance on the device and lags might be noticeable.
2. Wont receive any firmware updates, need to decrypt the device first before can download and update.
3. Encryption is irreversible. You cannot toggle encryption on or off. The only way to remove it is to perform a factory reset, which also wipes your device’s data.
4. Encypted sdcard will be lost forever, if any hardreset are made to the tablet and encryption keys will also all be deleted. Without them there are no way do decrypt the sd card.

There are ways to remove DRM digital contents, but its a hard way to do it and time to do it arent worth it.
In short:

1. Use computer to buy and download the digital contens to computer.
2. Use DRM removal program, to remove DRM and convert to any media file that android device are supported to play. (movies ex mp4, music ex mp3. Depend on the program, what files are supported to convert to)
3. Move DRM removed/converted files to android device or whatever device want to. Since DRM is removed and can freely move anywhere.

lsmagill

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I am not finding under security settings the option to encrypt my external micro SD card (only the device) with my new GN 2014. I upgraded from the GN 10.1 which had the option. How do I encrypt the micro SD on GN 2014?

Last edited:

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I am not finding under security settings the option to encrypt my external micro SD card (only the device) with my new GN 2014. I upgraded from the GN 10.1 which had the option. How do I encrypt the micro SD on GN 2014?

The option to encrypt an External SD Card was unfortunately removed with an update.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg