Option button turns blue and is very hot when charging

Haha5321

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Last night, the screen of Note 2014 edition turned black again. So I opened my tab and removed and reconnected the LCD cable and power cable. The screen went back on but I noticed that the OPTION BUTTON was no longer lighting while the BACK BUTTON was still lighting.

Today, when I tried charging my tab, the OPTION BUTTON turned blue while the BACK BUTTON did not light at all. It was also very very hot. Like burning sensation hot.

Galaxy Note 2014 Edition SM-P601

Can anyone please help me? Can this be fixed without going to the service center?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Check the bottom of your USB flex cable, there is a small cable on the left side connected to it, make sure the connection is not loose.
This cable will light up the Option and Back button.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
The one on the left side, it will connect to your HOME , Option, and Back leds
Make sure your USB Flex Cable inserted correctly, the line on cable and main board should be aligned.
Not fully inserted Usb flex cable may cause a short.

$_57.jpg

Last edited:

Haha5321

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
The one on the left side, it will connect to your HOME , Option, and Back leds
Make sure your USB Flex Cable inserted correctly, the line on cable and main board should be aligned.
Not fully inserted Usb flex cable may cause a short.

View attachment 193843

The lower parts of the cable are covered by something. Do I have to open it? I tried reinserting the flex cable but it did not work.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
The lower parts of the cable are covered by something. Do I have to open it? I tried reinserting the flex cable but it did not work.

You probably open the rear cover from the back. This is not a correct way to remove it as it leaves the frame cover the lower part of USB port.
If doing this way a few times, the rear cover will not snap back due to broken plastic tabs.
Watch these videos the correct way to open your tablet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb2zQIDKysQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZvEFqYd1Vk

Haha5321

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for your help but, unfortunately, it still is broken. I sent it to a Samsung service center and they said that there has been water damage to the Menu capacitive button. They said that the entire LCD screen must replaced to fix it. Can I trust their recommendation? Do I follow it?

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
If "MENU" button is actually damaged as its a captive function of digitizer screen then yes digitizer/LCD screen has to be replaced and its a factory bonded unit of digitizer screen and LDC display.......

Dale

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for your help but, unfortunately, it still is broken. I sent it to a Samsung service center and they said that there has been water damage to the Menu capacitive button. They said that the entire LCD screen must replaced to fix it. Can I trust their recommendation? Do I follow it?

Actually you only need to replace the Option, and Back flex cable but the entire LCD and touchscreen must be remove from the frame to get this flex cable. The LCD assembly is expensive so if your tablet is OK, no need to change the LCD assembly..
Watch this video so you can see how to get to that Option and Back flex cable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn9OUhc99TY

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Actually it can be fixed by yourself, open the rear case assembly from the front, not from the back as you did. Use a brush and wiping alcohol to clean the flex connector where it connected to USB flex cable or both depending where is the water or liquid residues causing a short.
$_57.JPG
Try to power on and testing the Option and Back button, if it's still not working, just disconnect it from USB flex cable. Your buttons still function but no light up when touch them.

Last edited: