LectureNotes - Series of How-To's - Links to Instructables

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@jorang: I am not sure whether I understand the question. Do you refer to notebook pages that contain imported PDF pages?

jorang

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah - exactly. In my view I cannot see were one page stops and the next begins. Causes me to write notes spanning over two pages.

I have also another Q - is there a way to make the S Pen+S Pen button do the same as the cutter tool? When I use the S Pen+button I'm not able to do the same things as by the cutter tool - copy/ move/ resize... Suspect it should be setting to activate this behavior also when using the S Pen + button

Last edited:

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Would be very cool to be able to re-map the stylus button.... whether for the cutter as @jorang asks above or my preference which would be to toggle the eraser on when I am writing fast and want to clean up a screw up or something that after the fact looks unreadable.

Yeah - exactly. In my view I cannot see were one page stops and the next begins. Causes me to write notes spanning over two pages.
I have also another Q - is there a way to make the S Pen+S Pen button do the same as the cutter tool? When I use the S Pen+button I'm not able to do the same things as by the cutter tool - copy/ move/ resize... Suspect it should be setting to activate this behavior also when using the S Pen + button

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings > handling > general > stylus buttons setup.

You can set the stylus buyton actions there as cutter, eraser, scrolling, or custom pencil.

I use mine in hover mode so i pick the pen up a few mm and click the button to change tools. I also enabled one time use eraser so I wouldn't have to reclick to go back to pencil. After you use the eraser once it reverts to the previous tool.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@jorang: LectureNotes draws a frame around each page, but it does so before displaying the page content. If the page content is fully opaque (for instance white background of the PDF page), the page frame is hidden. You could enable `render on translucent background? in the PDF import setup in the app's import settings, then the PDF page background is left translucent and you will see the frame. Alternatively, set small margins for PDF import.

@jorang & pwscott: You can assign a function to the S-pen button (as described by milessthomas), enable `use stylus button? in the app's input setting and assign the function in the stylus button setup in the app's handling settings. Note that Samsung devices do not deliver touch events with stylus button pressed, the system assigns own functionality to that. You need to enable `detect stylus button in hover mode? in the stylus button setup in the app's handling settings; furthermore, you need to press and release(!) the stylus button close to the display surface but before actually touching the display.

jorang

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying.

What is the "first" and "second" button activities for (in stylus button setup)? My stylus (both original and my Wacom Bamboo) has only one button....

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@jorang: There are stylus that have two buttons. In case a stylus has only one button, the relevant button functionality is usually the `first? one.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Haven't seen one here and I spent 1/2 hour in B&H's tablet accessories aisles yesterday looking. I think 2 buttons would be a little much. I am very pleased with my Wacom Bamboo Feel though and its one button.

hauget

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. Does anyone know if there's a way to select where you want to type? It seems that every time I choose the typing/keyboard mode it automatically select the whole page. Cheers!

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@hauget: Besides the text layer which works essentially like a text editor or word processor and has no free placement, there is a text drawing tool that allows free placement of the text. The text drawing tool can be accessed either via the pencil toolbox (select `Show pencil toolbox? in the pencil menu, can be moved around by click-and-hold and setup in the app's tools settings) or via the drawing tools menu (you need to enable this menu in the app's menu settings).

wshirt

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Had my Note 10.1 for about 3 months now, main reason was for note taking at work in meetings etc. I used S-Notes for first month and half, but its was not quite right. Very nice to look at, worked well, but had some issues that slowly put me off it. First was new page button at bottom right of screen, the amount of times I kept hitting that with my hand. Also the PDF that I exported to e-mail and or print were not good quality, they seem blurry (if there is such a word) not sharp. Also the lack of cut and paste within the Note screen was a major let down.

So I looked round and after trying a few different note taking apps, found LectureNotes. Well I have to say it is just what I needed, quite a steep learning curve compared to S-Notes, but well worth the hard work. Its so customisable, and with trying out the various settings you really can achieve some good note taking workflow with an easy to use configured system.

I would really like to thank the Developer and Milessthomas, for developing such a fantastic app, and for creating some nice easy to understand user guides for parts of the system.

Few suggestions, and forgive me if these functions are already there, I have not found them yet.
1. With the line drawing pen (if that?s the correct name) the ability to have dashes or dots or some customisation (I like to put a dotted line between action points in meetings) this could also be done to cover shapes (non filled).
2. Can you align text in the text box, Centred , left , right etc. Also in the full page text box (the one where you click the small keyboard icon)
3. Create and customise, margins, headers and footers. Eg File name on header, page 1 of 99 on footer and 10mm boarder round edge. So when exporting to PDF for printing etc, it can go straight to printer.
4. Better integration with CLOUD services, I am using DropSync with Dropbox to the moment, but need to click backup of note books to create a zip. Would like to see some auto settings to give ability to set a schedule of Zip creation (eg once a day, at set time,)
5. More Fonts to pick from, or ability to add our own fonts.
6. Cant seem to see a spell checker, I know my onscreen keyboard has it, but most of time I use my Bluetooth keyboard, which does not show errors, and I am the worlds worst speller.
7. Custom page layouts / templates, for the none technical among us, I have no clue how to create these, could a simple interface be created. I do like the ones that come with the app, the calendar one is really great.
8. User guide for key wording etc, this I am really struggling to get my head round. Think the idea should work well for me to search my notes etc.
9. User forums specific to the app.

If any or all of these are currently in the program, my sincere apologies, only been using this for about a week in a working capacity, so still finding my way round it. Used the 5 user guides from milessthomas and downloaded them, really helpful.

Milessthomas, if you can create further ones that would be fantastic. I became a pro member just to download your guides 

I have read on here and few other forums, how responsive, helpful the Developers are. Its nice to see and great that users are helping shape the way this great package move forward. Keep up the fantastic work and again thanks for the best app in the world.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Lecture Notes continues to see daily use on my tablets. Note taking, documentation, inspections, and bunches of other activities benefit from the application. My laptop sees me an hour or so a week.

Sent from my Note 8.

acadoid

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@big_w & bclinger#IM: Glad to hear that you like the app.

@big_w: 1. The next larger update v2.4 will include custom drawing tools coded in JavaScript, this will allow for dashed and dotted lines, more shapes, etc. I presently plan at least one minor update v2.3.8 before, so that I have to ask you for some patience.

2. Interesting idea, I noted it down.

3. This can be done using custom paper pattern (see also 7).

4. LectureNotes usage of many individual files to store notebook pages is ideal for syncing, and there are numerous apps that allow automatic syncing with your favorite cloud service. Including cloud service access into LectureNotes would not give any benefit (but placing me in a rat race to keep up with security updates etc.)

5. LectureNotes provides all Android standard fonts. I am not aware that Android provides means of including additional fonts.

6. Android contains a severe bug concerning the spell checker, which makes apps to crash for longer text (what is particularly annoying is that the dialog that comes up claims that `LectureNotes has crashed? instead of correctly stating that `Android has crashed?). Therefore, spell checking has to be disabled, I am sorry.

7. LectureNotes comes with numerous custom paper pattern examples: Click on `custom? paper pattern in the notebook settings, this will bring up the JavaScript editor. In the main menu, select `Use template?, this will bring up the custom paper pattern overview displaying all examples (and notebooks that contain custom paper pattern). Select one of the examples by clicking on it, this brings you back to the JavaScript editor and you see the corresponding JavaScript code. Click on the `back? button and confirm that you wish to use this code, this brings you back to the notebook settings. Click on `OK? to use the new settings.

To provide an interface that is easier than a JavaScript interface will be difficult...

8. You can attach keywords to pages, LectureNotes creates a table of contents and an index from that. Note that there is a searchable help page, select `Help? in any of the main menus. The help page is also available as LectureNotes App Wiki.

9. There are numerous user forums concerning LectureNotes, for instance this one.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Many of us use our devices in work environments and though you write it was intended for academic usage, it works exceedingly well in other venues. Spell Check: no need, it can lead to... Upload packages are a pain and in my situation lies with another application I use.

nagem708

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what I did, but I can only type, do straight lines, squares, or circles. I cannot figure out how to get back to freehand writing. Can someone please help me???

300pete

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't get past step #1. For some reason I don't have the "Import PDF as new Notebook" in my menu drop down box (see pic).

upynazyg.jpg

why is that?

I've had a look at my settings & I don't have an option to modify the settings (see pic)

u2ubuses.jpg

Appreciate any help you're able to provide.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377074311602.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377074311602.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 10
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377074331116.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377074331116.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 11

wshirt

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok, make sure you have latest version installed, then install PDFView by same developer.
That should give you insert PDF options. May need restart tablet to take effect.
Hope that helps.

a5ede8as.jpg

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawan maviya