News Samsung should've used Galaxy AI to figure out how to upgrade S24 charging speeds

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
They should definitely be doing better in this area, but it's also kind of a non-issue, at least on the ultra.

If your battery life comfortably lasts all day and you just charge overnight then fast charging is kind of a feature that isn't a feature.

Reactions: 1raygin

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, but perhaps they should have considered something "smarter" with AI. Say rapid charge to 50% then slow it down after. That should be enough for those that need a top off to get through the day. Fast charging to capacity is not good for battery health. To me, fast charging is just a marketing gimmick that means nothing to most people.

I really like that Samsung has an option to limit charging to 85% on their phones and laptops. Should greatly increase battery longevity. Wish Google would pick this up as part of their "adaptive charging".

Last edited:
Reactions: BEaRebel

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, but perhaps they should have considered something "smarter" with AI. Say rapid charge to 50% then slow it down after. That should be enough for those that need a top off to get through the day. Fast charging to capacity is not good for battery health. To me, fast charging is just a marketing gimmick that means nothing to most people.

I really like that Samsung has an option to limit charging to 85% on their phones and laptops. Should greatly increase battery longevity. Wish Google would pick this up as part of their "adaptive charging".
That's literally how fast charging already works.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The constant complaints about so many stupid things is really getting OLD! They're damned if they do and damned if they don't!
Let's complain when there's no wireless charging...so they give us wireless charging but that's not good enough...now we need to be able to charge from ZERO to 100% in ten minutes...even though wireless charging causes heat and is so much slower than wired charging. How fast does it need to be? You can always get a OnePlus phone that charges super fast. It has two batteries which makes this possible. It's just a silly redundant argument.

Reactions: 1raygin

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
They should definitely be doing better in this area, but it's also kind of a non-issue, at least on the ultra.
If your battery life comfortably lasts all day and you just charge overnight then fast charging is kind of a feature that isn't a feature.
That's not how life works though. There'll always be times you need to charge at random times.

Besides no all day battery phone ever stays that way.

The constant complaints about so many stupid things is really getting OLD! They're damned if they do and damned if they don't!
Let's complain when there's no wireless charging...so they give us wireless charging but that's not good enough...now we need to be able to charge from ZERO to 100% in ten minutes...even though wireless charging causes heat and is so much slower than wired charging. How fast does it need to be?
No one is asking for a phone to charge from flat in 10 minutes, literally no one.

The heat argument has been debunked. They don't just increase the charging speed, they also add tech so it's safe.

You can always get a OnePlus phone that charges super fast. It has two batteries which makes this possible. It's just a silly redundant argument.
Why should people have to buy a OnePlus? Odd.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely Samsung need to increase charging times. It's way more useful in daily life than constant tinkering with the camera.

But they also need to increase the batttery too. Taking out the super niche s pen would help if space was an issue.

bradavon

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
This is a strange article though when Apple and Google charge their flagship phones even slower.

Pixels take 2 hours from flat. It's literally the reason why I couldn't buy a Pixel. I don't need 30 miunutes but 2 hours would consantly cause me issues. There'll always be times you need to charge at random times.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

That's not how life works though. There'll always be times you need to charge at random times.

No one is asking for a phone to charge from flat in 10 minutes, literally no one.

The heat argument has been debunked. They don't just increase the charging speed, they also add tech so it's safe.

10 minutes = being facetious....OnePlus has super fast charging. Easy to follow actually! Hmmmmm

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Kinda is how life works though. If I know I'm going to be heavy on it in a day, I just charge to 100 instead of 85 (Yeah, I comfortably make it through a day as a pretty heavy user while only charging to 85 on the S23 Ultra). If I don't know it's going to be a super heavy day and it just happens... I'm not going to be carrying my super fast charger and cable with me anyway, so it's moot. I carry a small battery pack in my jacket and I haven't used it once since buying the S23U, maybe I just have really good battery conservation skills...

I did say I thought Samsung should improve this in my first comment, I just also think the author is blowing it way out of proportion. Probably because, for good and bad, there isn't really much to talk about with the S24 series.

Replying to multiple people in one comment made it super awkward to respond..

Reactions: MittenSportsFan

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes we get caught up in Specs. What is the real world difference in 45W vs. 100W?
Most of us should only be charging from 20%-80%.
Is it 5 minutes faster? 10 minutes? Are the 100W chargers fire hazards or bad for batteries?
I don't think there was a large contingent of Ultra users clamoring for more charging power.
It's just those who like to compare specs.

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter