Is this the tablet for me?

Nighthawk268

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Okay so fist of all this is my first time looking into the ever growing tablet trend. I made my way to Best Buy to check out what was available and get some preview experience and fool around with the display models. I was instantly sold on the idea of owning a tablet... however I am stuck as into which one would be best for me and wondering if anyone here could help me out? The Galaxy Note 10.1 was the only one that stood out to me. I wanted to try the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but it was out of stock and was recommended to try the Note 10.1. I have done some research but I never care for professional reviews. It came to two options, the Nexus 10 or the Note 10.1.

So for myself,
The good..

I am looking into getting back into taking some classes and like the appeal of having something to take along to take notes. The idea of multitasking and watching a video with the ability to take notes at the same time is a huge appeal to me. However, I am currently not a student.

I think the S-Pen is a great idea and something that makes the tablet stand out among the rest. It gives me the option to explore my creative side and increase my productivity. I think this feature is what would keep me from getting bored of the tablet. But again, the S-Pen wouldn't be the sole purpose of wanting to buy the tablet.

The MicroSD slot is a huge win for me and one of the main reasons why it threw a huge red flag with getting the Nexus 10. It may be the real reason I wont bother with a Nexus until that slot comes available. I love taking photos and the option to load them onto the tablet and edit them with Photoshop touch seems really cool!

The smart remote is a neat feature but not one to get to excited for. I own a Samsung TV, Blu-Ray, and Home Theater system. I have the option to control all three from this device and that's awesome.

Now the bad..

I also want a tablet I can just have some good old down time with. Either if I am at home in bed, or on the road for various reasons. I want something that would provide entertainment for those moments. Such as movies, web browsing, netflix, and the occasional game. I'm in my later 20's now and the appeal of gaming is starting to phase out of me. I still love gaming, but don't find myself playing games as often as I used to. I seen videos of GTA3 (a personal long time favorite of mine) being played on the Note 10.1 and it seems to work and look flawlessly.

I also love the down time by watching a movie. Now while at home I would prefer to watch any movie on the TV screen with my awesome home theater system. But on the road I wan't something that will do the job, look good and sound good. Now I know sound isn't an issue with this tablet but the huge red flag with the Note10.1 is the screen resolution. It's been noted to be quite lacking. In my time with using the tablet on display, I didn't really notice the poor screen resolution. But I have been told that movies and other videos may look poor. This isn't a huge factor for me but is what makes the Nexus 10 really stand out. Plus youtube videos never really look that great on anything..

Bottom line is that is there more to the Nexus 10 that is worth buying other than just the screen? It seems kinda weird to spend so much money on just a stand alone feature. But then again that's what you are looking at the whole time.

Any advice would be great! Thank you.

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey there,

I first off want to say I hope you get what you need and love what you get!

I typed you out a long story about the crazy 3 weeks it's been since I've had my Note 10.1 32GB and how I quickly and randomly/crazily arrived at owning one, but I deleted it all and started over, then deleted it all again because, you didn't ask for my personal story and you didn't ask for my experiences you asked for info for YOU. SO I realized if I am to be help I should be helping YOU not giving you my story (Which I'd be happy to share but I doubt you care lol)

I love my Note 10.1 GB absolutely love it. AND I will admit this- while I grew up HATING Apple and all Mac related protons in the universe, when I drunkenly bought an iPhone 3GS in summer 2009, it changed my life. I mean it changed my life. I became an overnight Apple fanboy. When I lost my job in Feb 2010, I didn't see it coming and didn't see how amazingly difficult and poetic/storyworthy the next few years would be, so I never was able to buy any more. I DID get a 'barely used or touched' 1st gen iPad in Nov '11, my Mom passed and an old friend contacted me and said, I have this iPad I never touched when I bought it for my Dad, he hated it, why don't you take it and use it to distract yourself, and I loved it but it died a painful death last winter ... SO I am well versed with the genius and awesomeness of Apple stuff......

....BUT I am now a Huge Samsung Fanboi and proud to admit it. The Note 10.1 is amazing and does so many things you just don't realize how awesome it is. REALLY, How many other tablets can you open a browser, Firefox, load up justin.tv and Watch/Listen to a live broadcast, lets say of The Wire or Dual Survival, *and* while that browser is running, pop open another application in a split screen, and do your work while listening and watching.... *AND OH YEah..... It has the S Pen stylus... only the most advanced piece of digitizer-based hardware in the game, absolutely amazin!* .... When you realize how awesome the hardware of the Note 10.1 really is, you see this tablet is worth every dime. Apple stuff is great, no doubt. And their screens are really amazing. BUT AFTER A POINT, their stuff is just useless , your human eye can't get any more out of the pixels they keep packing on, it's overkill....BUT What you CAN'T do on the Apple versions are use an amazing stylus like the S Pen and its amazing applications, ALL THE WHILE Multitasking... simply amazing.

Every day for the last 3~ weeks, I learn and see something totally new and awesome the Note 10.1 can do. With 32GB onboard storage, I have room for anything, PLUS I can add (soon I hope, didn't get one at purchase but maybe on Friday) a 64GB class 10 SD Card, bring over my entire music/movie/etc. library (all my iTunes will be on the card, on my tablet) and have the ability to not only keep expanding the memory but take just about any and ever piece of data i have with me anywhere all the time. Can't be beat really.

You know there will always be a newer, better version and you'll always lust after something newer or a different brand different model, but this one right here is awesome right here right now and I'm sure it'll last me AT LEAST a year or two, provided I take some good care (which I am known for not doing well.)

Get one you'll love it!

jhbacon

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I watched a black and white movie last night, and enjoyed every second of it. And I have watched movies on the highest of HD. That was good too. The point here is that we have talked ourselves into a fear of not enjoying something if it doesn't have the latest and greatest. Follow this, I think it makes sense : An HD movie is a better experience than a non HD movie, but a non HD movie is not less enjoyable than an HD movie.
I think we are trying to answer an emotional question with a factual answer, and that is difficult to do.

So, I can offer a fact that works for me...... since your main concern is screen quality, and the quality of your enjoyment, I can tell you unequivically that side by side, I cannot tell my screen from the screen of my sons iPad 95 percent of the time. And, I like my Note 10.1 far better than his iPad when I factor in all the other items you mentioned in your post.
You will not be disappointed with the GN 10.1

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Spen and multiview is what sets it apart from the other tabs, otherwise there are cheaper options. I think those two functions make it one of the most productively geared tablets on the market. The screen definitely has a lower resolution but it doesn't look bad it's just not great, in terms of HD. Just FYI, not all apps run in multi-window(although more are being added all the time). But there are several mods that allow you to make most apps available in multiwindow.

Nighthawk268

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both for the wonderful advice! This is ensuring my desire to own the 10.1. I really do think I can get past the screen resolution. I still find myself playing classic games on a CRT screen in the bedroom and often having blast with PS1 games. (Which look horrible by any standard of today). As both of you mentioned apple products, that is one thing that was easy to rule out. I have never owned a apple product in my life and don't plan on it. I'm not saying their products are bad, but the corporate ethic and limitations from what I have tried with friends who own a apple product just leaves a undesired taste for myself.

I am pretty confident I will be buying a note by the end of the day. The expandable storage is just a huge plus. The extra features of drawing, and being creative just sound awesome all while still having a device that has no problem running a movie or playing a high end game. Even though it may not look as good, I guess you could say that it's overall better to have the best of both worlds than just one.. which is productivity and entertainment all in one package. I have been trying to get into my creative side and not just sitting staring at things all day. This tablet seems as if it will help me find that in one way or another.

Thanks again!

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
You sound a lot like me and I love mine. I also was one of THEBIGGEST Anti Apple Macwhackers you could find. Then my buddy brought his brand new from release day iPhone 3GS to the bar one Sunday afternoon. I spent about 8 hours trying his new toy out and when I got home I was so amazed at this worldchanging Star Trek like device I drunkenly bought one , new ATT All everything plan etx. And I enjoyed it immensely and realized both that Apple makes some amazing things and that its possible to not hate them and even ENJOY their products without spontaneously combusting.

And I loved the second hand 1st gen iPad i got in 11/2011... loved it. Used it everyday and literally used it to death. And part of me was apprehensive NOT buying an iPad instead of my Note. but I LOVE THIS NOTE 10.1 and as specifically mentioned by my esteemed colleague above, the S Pen and dual app multitasking ability REALLY set this puppy head and puppy shoulders ahead of the competition. Would I be happy with an iPad for free SURE. New iPhone SAME, mos def! But im ecstatic with this and when I maybe get a new Samsung phone itll be even cooler

GEt one asap before you lose out theyre selling like hotcakes !,, ( lol total bullsheeait but was fun to type)

Nighthawk268

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Did you end up getting it? What do you think a day later?

Well first of all, I apologize for the late response. I ended up getting a white 10.1 and rushed home to try it out. Right out of the box and a few minutes later I took some time messing around with the tablet. Either I'm blind, or don't really care, but the resolution seems okay with me. Yea the fine print may seem a bit fuzzed at times but it's clearly visiable and videos look just fine. I read a lot off comments from people who claim this tablet does not have a hd screen. Isn't 720 considered HD? One issue I found however was a noticeable dead pixel on the screen. This really didn't bother me with it just being one, but after doing a pixel test, I found two more. I made my way back to the store and got an exchange. The model I have now has none and I am happy with it.

However moving on, this tablet seems to work flawlessly. Everything seems to run smooth and nothing seems to crash. I spent a little time with the S-Pen and found that it was quite fun to use. The apps seem to have a learning curve to them as with everything else, but that will come with ease in time. I did however give in to the guy at Best Buy and got a screen protector. I put it on right away and it seems to work perfect. But I did notice the images and overall screen seemed to have an increase in blurriness after it was on.

The tab feels great it my hands and while it is plastic, I noticed that with the white model you would see a shade of what seems to be blue as you move it around in the light. So overall with that, I think it adds a somewhat premium look to it. This was never covered in any review I seen. Multitasking seems to work like a charm and quite an interesting feature to have. I wanted to see how gaming would perform with the tablet, so I downloaded GTA3 and spent some time with it. All I can say is that I was actually quite shocked on how well it ran. It looks way better than the old PS2 version and runs very very smooth. This was also the case with Real Racing 3. It was smooth and game play was responsive and fun.

I haven't gotten to technical with the tablet yet, as I have not had much time to really get into it. I did order a rooCase executive case for it and can't wait to get this thing in it. I want to explore more with the Spen and even if I fade away from that main selling point, it's still a great feature to have and everything else seems to work perfect. I forgot to mention the sound but it seems to be top notch and very enjoyable. I can imagine getting into drawing something with a relaxing station on Pandora playing in the background.

Overall right now I am really happy with this tablet and I have seen little to complain about. I have no idea why this tablet got mixed reviews. It's able to handle all the basic tablet expectations without an issue and provide you with excellent productivity options.

cinnamin

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I like that case you mentioned went to check it out I want to purchase one .I'm still getting used to my note 10.1

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

ciscobear

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this post. I am about to order one as well. What do you guys/gals think about buying a refurb from amazon? It's about 70 bucks less. I live outside the US btw.

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
In short, the GN 10.1 does everything you mentioned and a loads more. Had mine for a while now, got used to it & yet I still discover something new & awesome every week as I become more confident with true multitasking. The display is fine in my view; video playback seems commensurate with the quality it was recorded in. Try to avoid doing a lot worse, buy the Note 10.1!

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Android Central Forums

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
As I've stated in these forums a few times, I sold an IPad mini in favor of the Note 10.1. Best decision I ever made. It's simply amazing. I use it for pretty much everything.

Recently I tried plugging it into my external 1TB hard drive and to my dismay it wouldn't read it. Well its not formated in FAT32. Easy fix. Now I have my Note 10.1 rooted and can plug it in directly into the hard drive. Love the Note! 1 less reason to own a laptop.

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I assume your external HDD has its own power source...yes? I ask because the posts I've read indicate that the GN 10.1 will not provide enough power to run most (all?) unpowered HDDs.

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I know how bad I take care of things so I would never really trust a refurb , used stuff, etc. unless absolutely necessary. I also know people who go the used/etc. route as much in possible in life.

Unless the $70 means the difference between eating or not eating (which it might actually, I certainly know that, been there and still am sometimes) I would always go New. Then you KNOW for sure how careful you've treated it.