Thinking About Getting a Note 10.1- Questions

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a Note 2 phone and love it and have been thinking about possibly selling my iPad and getting the Note 10.1.
The iPad is the first Apple product I've ever owned and I have to admit I do like it, but I am a digital artist and the pressure sensitive stylii available for the iPad all have a large tip that I really dislike. It is impossible to see the line you are drawing with the fat tips and the see through disk tips scratch the screen and make annoying clicking sounds and simply aren't all that smooth and dependable. I thought the solution was almost here when Adobe demonstrated the new Mighty stylus last month, but truth is it is in early development stages, or as they say still a concept which means it could still be a year or two before it ever sees the light of day, IF it ever does.
I was at Best Buy yesterday and actually had a chance to play with the Note 10.1, it is sweet, and the screen is every bit as beautiful as the iPad's retina screen, I really really liked it.

Now for questions, my favorite drawing/painting app for the iPad is Procreate and it will not ever be available for Android, the developers have said they have no intention of making an Android app. Does anyone know of any app similar to Procreate for the Note? I have Infinite Painter on my Note 2 phone and while I can see possibilities I am still finding it a bit confusing to use. Can anyone recommend a really good drawing/painting app for Android? I have Sketchbook, Canvas, Sumi-e Painting, Bamboo Paper and find them all a bit lacking. Most of my artwork done on the computer is using either Photoshop CS6 and or Corel Painter and a Wacom Intuos 5 tablet and I haven't tried any of the Adobe mobile apps yet.

Of course this could all be solved with an app like Splashtop and then as long as I was on wifi I could just continue to use Corel Painter or CS6, but there are times when I am out of range from my desktop.

My other question is if you have already purchased an app and have it installed on your phone can you download it again to the tablet or do you have to purchase it again?

I am pretty sure I am going to have to get the Note 10.1, that was set the minute I laid eyes on it, lol.

I would love to hear from other digital artists using the Note 10.1.

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I suggest waiting for when they release a note 2 10.1 with a much improved stylus. Personslly i think what you are going to dislike about the note 10.1 maybe it's plasticky feel coming from the aluminum ipad but if that doesnt brother you are going to love it, android has less tablet optimized apps tho :/ anyway, my mom owns the 10.1 and i love it. And im not sure but i think you can download it on both phone and tablet given ofc you are using the same Google account.

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300

Peaches36

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 2 phone and love it and have been thinking about possibly selling my iPad and getting the Note 10.1.
The iPad is the first Apple product I've ever owned and I have to admit I do like it, but I am a digital artist and the pressure sensitive stylii available for the iPad all have a large tip that I really dislike. It is impossible to see the line you are drawing with the fat tips and the see through disk tips scratch the screen and make annoying clicking sounds and simply aren't all that smooth and dependable. I thought the solution was almost here when Adobe demonstrated the new Mighty stylus last month, but truth is it is in early development stages, or as they say still a concept which means it could still be a year or two before it ever sees the light of day, IF it ever does.
I was at Best Buy yesterday and actually had a chance to play with the Note 10.1, it is sweet, and the screen is every bit as beautiful as the iPad's retina screen, I really really liked it.

Now for questions, my favorite drawing/painting app for the iPad is Procreate and it will not ever be available for Android, the developers have said they have no intention of making an Android app. Does anyone know of any app similar to Procreate for the Note? I have Infinite Painter on my Note 2 phone and while I can see possibilities I am still finding it a bit confusing to use. Can anyone recommend a really good drawing/painting app for Android? I have Sketchbook, Canvas, Sumi-e Painting, Bamboo Paper and find them all a bit lacking. Most of my artwork done on the computer is using either Photoshop CS6 and or Corel Painter and a Wacom Intuos 5 tablet and I haven't tried any of the Adobe mobile apps yet.

Of course this could all be solved with an app like Splashtop and then as long as I was on wifi I could just continue to use Corel Painter or CS6, but there are times when I am out of range from my desktop.

My other question is if you have already purchased an app and have it installed on your phone can you download it again to the tablet or do you have to purchase it again?

I am pretty sure I am going to have to get the Note 10.1, that was set the minute I laid eyes on it, lol.

I would love to hear from other digital artists using the Note 10.1.

No you don't have to buy the app again.. You can just download it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Claudia-

I'd like to give you a brief "Note" [pun intended fully] about the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 ... not 100% what you asked but I believe of value to you or perhaps a great waste of your resources and precious time. Indulge me :)

Up until 2009 I was one of the world's most fervent anti-Apple-fan-the-flames-boi's. I HATED APPLE AND MAC AND STEVE JOBS THE MOST OF ALL.

Then in mid summer my friends comvinced me to spend a Sunday afternoon seeing stupid movies. I hated that idea too but we were gonna spend 2 hours prior at the Pizzaeria Uno in the theater parking lot complex, and I planned on boozing and cruising thru a bunch of 23oz beers and perhaps a drink or two of delicious and nutritious booze. During the first stupid stupid movie my friend let me play with his new iPhone 3GS; he had showed me initially at the bar, he becomes an Apple fanboi recently and buys this new 3GS to show off his money and tech savvy/silky smooth skills at techhipness. After 30 seconds of playing with it I was demanding to use it in the theaters the next like 6 hours worth of 3 movies. It was amazing! We went back to Uno in the evening, I had some more drinks, and came home, drank somemore purple dranks and such (wine lol) and drunkenly ordered me up one (despite having 8+ months on my perfectly good Verizon contract and perfectly good LG Voyager). I got me a White 3GS, 32GB, All-Everything Plan ,the $79 ror $79 or $100 whatever AppleCare ripoff of a supposed extended warranty, etc. $450 paymenty and what was going to be $171 or so a month now lol.

It changed my life, it really did. It was amazing. Because it was so expensive I determined to get my moneysworth of use, and I believe I did. It was amazing. I loved it. Put it in a customized OtterBox Defender ( bought both the black and the yellow so I could do a black and yellow combo) and it was MINT CONDITION when I took it out of the case 1 year after ... and 2 weeks after removing it from the OB it was nearly destroyed and disgustingly busted up. And it still worked for me. I was also fortunate to be given a nearly brand new but 'second-hand-used' iPad original..my mother passed suddenly in Nov 11 and an old best friend contacted me to give me his condolences... he had given his father an iPad for a present and the father hated it, said no thansk its not my thing. So he gave it to me (since it was sitting not used and virtually brand new) to 'distract me' , it was such a nice thing. And the iPad, like the iPhone, was life changing. Amazing amazing amazing. It lasted about 10 months before an unfortunate death and I culd not replace it right away as I had fallen on some tough times and didn't have the money.

FAST FORWARD from that long story to the Note 10.1's. in this past April my father had been having serious serious computer trouble. He asked me to look at something cause 'he was having a problem' and he had seriously nasty infections of a vew viruses, some ransomware, and a NASTY insidious root kit. I spent 2+ weeks daily working on it, eventually it died completely and could not even boot to be formatted. An unrelated family emergency happened ( the blacksheep oldest child , his first , my older sister, showed back up and said "i'm homeless so I'm here you need to take me back" and needless to say this was terrible. And he had no computer to distract him. So the day after he had to go pick her up from some corner of NYC, I said, why don't we go get you a nice little Tablet , it would be easy and fun for you to use, MUCH better than a little smartphone, BUT since its Android you would intuitively know it from your phone, and it would get you by until we solve this laptop computer issue (since fixed). he said okay how much, lets do it, and I di d an EXTREMELY BRIEF scan of research and cameup with the Tab 10.1 16GB for like $329... a nice young salesman had mentioned it was a good little tablet. He himself was an Apple man (man lol he was a ginger 24 year old fan BOI lol). but the Samsung were awesome products and the Tab was a great little tablet for the money ($329 again). Previously my Dad had the position " If you say the $329 one is good and good enough (The Tab) and the salespeson agrees we're just doing it, I don't want to spend more, don't need to don't want to it'll be fine for my use. 30 seconds after talking with the kid , he brings up how awesome the Note is because of the S Pen stylus, the fact you can split screen, run multiple apps, write with the pen and convert it into text, etc. My Dad is like, Oh I would like to see that!!! He shows us and tells us how this famous Princeton Univ. professor just bought one (we live next to Princeton) so he could write the formulas of his science stuff and have it translated into exact written text formulas and do the calc on the other screen or something. My father's like NICE LETS GET THAT ONE. So we go from $329 to like $449. Then he's like, you know there is a bigger one, the 32GB insteado the 16GB. OKAY GIVE ME THAT ONE! And it even is expandable, they put in the Note 10.1 an extra memory micro SD slot, expanded all the way to 64GB! OK LETS GET ONE TOO! Lets do it! And make sure I get the Class 10 one! So now we went from a $329 Tab to a Note 10.1 32GB w/ a 64GB SanDisk class 10 micro SD card. I said you NEED a screen protector AND a case! Protection is everything here. And the damned ZAGG is $30 bucks, PLUS $15 installation!!! AND The one case they had , a Belkin cinema folio leather, was $59.99. He's like, give me it all, let's do it and get it done!

Now I mention, hey , that $329 one, is it decent? Cause I want one and I could probaly afford that one.... my father was like, I need to be taught WTF I'm doing, just get the same one I'm getting and pay me back, so I got a new Note 10.1 *AND HERE IS WHAT I WANTED YOU TO KNOW*. When I realized I was getting a new fully hooked up Note 10.1, I was immediately excited but deep down I admit I was saying, Maybe I should be saying, can I get the new Retina iPad then... cause I know I would probably love it.... and I don't know if I need or want the S-Pen Note etc.. but I love the iPad and am familiar.... etc. but I shut my mouth knowing it would both upset him and ruin everything.

Best best decision I have ever made The Note 10.1 is absolutely amazing. Simply amazing. I cannot speak to how great the iPad is in all it's new Retina glory and super souped up features because I'm sure it's glory-inducing great. *BUT THE NOTE IS SO AMAZING TOO I JUST LOVE IT*. Every day I find something new and cool and exciting it can do I didn't realize. The S-Pen is TRULY an X-Factor, wht the military calls a Force Multiplier. I know you can get a stylus from other companies for the iPad. it is NOT THE SAME. the Wacom digitizer is the best of the best, the S Pen is a work of technological art, an the internals of the Note 10.1 are STILL TOP OF THE LINE, and it's a year out, when you consider a year back it was absolutely amazing. Still is really.

I can listen to an episode of Deadwood or Oz on th Comcast Xfinity app, nd watch it , in the background, while surfing the web w/ Chrome on top of that screen w/ the S Note app also open, doodling, drawing pictures, or taking notes. then I can swap back and forth to Facebook and Email and such or just keep 4 programs up on the screen all times. And don't get me started about designing pages w/ widgets and icons so you can look at everything uou need to know for the day w.o pushing a button.

Simply simply amazing. I am NOT a graphic designer and I am increidly drawn to the S Pen and the drawing and stuff.. You'll be in high hog happy land. :)

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your replies. :) I really appreciate them all.

tAKticool, I enjoyed your story. In truth I fell in love with it in the Best Buy store as soon as I laid eyes on it and played a bit and I'm trying very hard to talk myself out of spending the money. lol
I think it was released within minutes of my purchasing the Ipad 3, had I see it first I would never have bought the iPad. I do really like the iPad though but wish it had pressure sensitivity and usb and SD card ports.

I am more than familiar with Wacom digitizers, I own 4 of them, I spend probably 4 or 5 hours every day at my desktop computer using my Wacom Intuos 5 for my artwork, I have an intuos 4 connected to my laptop and I have a Fujitsu Lifebook convertable notebook/tablet with Wacom digitizer screen. It irks me to no end that Apple refuses to put Wacom digitizers in it's products even though their users really want it and they have had the technology to do it for quite a while. Their attitude of in effect telling all of us what we want or need has always bothered me. The only thing (other than money) that makes me hesitate is Procreate which I love and there doesn't appear to be any drawing/painting app for Android that even comes close, and I think I've tried all of them.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
No you don't have to buy the app again.. You can just download it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

This is true. Not only with the Play Store either. If you download the Amazon app store on your phone and put it on an Android tab also the same rules apply.

pmcdunnough

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I would wait for an upgraded Note 10.1 along the lines of the Note 8.0 . The current one feels cheap and I suspect is about to be upgraded. The active digitizer is great. I eventually went with the Note 8.0 over the 10.1. Excellent tablet but a bit short on battery life. The 10.1 is better that way.

Philip

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. I have no interest at all in the 8.0 it's just too small. I already have the Note 2 phone if I want small, I'm not looking for ultra portability, I already have that. :)

pmcdunnough

May 18, 2013
Visit site
The Note 8.0 is not as small as you think! It's much more flexible than a 7" tablet. I didn't really find the windowing scheme on the 10.1 that useful for me and writing in Landscape mode on the 8.0 is just fine. Moreover you don't get that grainy resolution that you kind of find with the 10.1 (which is still a very good tablet).

Philip

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I use my Note 10.1 mainly for Drawing. I had an Ipad 3, use to use the Doodla App and I seen so many good drawings, but it's only on IOS. I too hated drawing with a thick rubber stylus. I got bored with my Ipad 3 after about 6 months and sold it and bought the GN 10.1. I love having the thin Penlike stylus. I spent extra money on a Pen Sized stylus, because the one that comes with it is a bit too small. As far as drawing apps, I used sketchbook mobile and xpress, sketch guru, and am trying Clover Memo, which is the lite free version of Clover Paint. It gets great reviews. It's like $6.99 for the full app, but I'm holding off for now. It has a difficult to adjust to UI, I've only done one drawing on it, but will play with it more. When I got my Note 8.0 and had the $25 google play credit, I bought the Autodesk Sketchbook Pro and Love it. I did a drawing of my Dog about a month ago and couldn't believe the detail I could get on it. I would recommend Sketchbook Pro. If you can get use to Clover Memo, I'd say go for the Paid Version Clover Paint. It gets great reviews in the Play Store. S Note I use a lot also for Drawing. I like to draw Cartoon Characters and S Note does a good job for me in that regard. I also play Draw Something every night for practice on my drawing, so much better with the thinner stylus tip!
I do agree the 10.1 is much better for drawing, I feel too cramped on my GN 8.0. I do most of my stuff on the 10.1. Good luck with yours when you get it.

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have seen it and it's not for me! For an old person with less than stellar vision the 10.1 is the smallest I would consider, I would prefer 12. I don't plan to be writing I plan to be drawing and painting.

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. I have Sketchbook Pro on my Note 2 phone and I'm not getting pressure sensitivity at all, while I've played with SBP off and on for several years it definitely isn't my favorite. I agree about the OEM stylus being a bit too small, I'm used to the Grip and Art Pens that I use with my Wacom Intuos, but even with the stylus being a bit small it's so much better than the fat tipped or the ones with the clear disk, for the iPad. Procreate however is awesome and gives the ability to do things you can do with Photoshop CS6 and Corel Painter, and the brushes for it are really really good. I hope someone comes up with a really good drawing painting app for Android, the developers of Procreate are not ever going to do that, there are only 4 of them and keeping up with iPad only is taxing their time. I'm playing with Infinite Painter which has some potential, but it's still a bit buggy and keeps crashing, but they at least have a Note version and keep working on it.

jonny1507

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
love my android phone, but, the note is another matter.

my biggest complaint is the massive learning curve you need to go through to do most anything other than basic web browsing or playing games.

the s pen. omg, the tutorial does not tell you half of what you need to know to be able to make it usefull. adjusting settings, what they do, even simply opening a page, it is not intuitive. you have to search for how to make it work for you on the internet. most people will take it out of its holder once or twice and put it back and never look at it again.

photoshop program. OMG, unless you are familiar with working with it, you are never going to be able to figure out how to make it do what you want it to do without taking a few classes at your local college. it is not the simple point and click program like paint.

watch tv through HULU or something? nope. not gona happen. why? because andriod and adobe are in a pissing contest so the tablet does not come with flash player and adobe does not offer one to download. you have to do an internet search through forums like this one to figure out what you need and how to get it to make the pad do what it should do without having to add third party softwear.

wana attach a picture to your email? nope. not unless you either download a third party file manager or you PAY to use their cloud service which is the only option the email program will look for files in otherwise.

have more than one email account? gona need a seperate email program to add them, no option to switch between email accounts like you can with outlook.

this is the result of android trying to become apple where everything is propriatary and goes through a PAID service, like that pos windows 8 program forcing you to create a windows account just to use your email.

the note will do anything you want it to do and more but the learing curve to do it or to be able to do it without paying some monthly cloud fee is steep and very very time consuming.

i would buy it again because i am a bit tech savy, have the time and will to learn and will not be trapped into some monthly fee to use an electronic devise like apple forces upon you.

but

if you want something that is plug and play out of the box, do not buy an android pad of any type. the s pen is a fad that will fade much faster than it took to develop as well. we all have been typing since the introduction of texting, really really stupid for a company to work against human behavior with this stupid pen instead of complementing it. the whole point of a pad was to eliminate needing things like a full size computer, paper, and yes even a pen. a paper and pen style tablet. rofl, talk about irony.

want simple plug and play, get an ipad. needs nothing.

hate big companies forcing you to spend more money than you need to, get the note. just dont waste your time pulling the pen out if its holder. the 2 gigs of ram and split screen sets it apart from the rest. the pen is just the mole on a models cheek. it will do more, but it will take alot of time and research to make it do it.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Years ago whilst using a different operating system, we found the built in programs fit the needs of most people. However, for those with different needs, the private developer came along to meet needs others do not have. The learning curve may be heavy for some, but frankly the more an application does, the more effort is required to master it. Not only Android.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
love my android phone, but, the note is another matter.

my biggest complaint is the massive learning curve you need to go through to do most anything other than basic web browsing or playing games.

the s pen. omg, the tutorial does not tell you half of what you need to know to be able to make it usefull. adjusting settings, what they do, even simply opening a page, it is not intuitive. you have to search for how to make it work for you on the internet. most people will take it out of its holder once or twice and put it back and never look at it again.

photoshop program. OMG, unless you are familiar with working with it, you are never going to be able to figure out how to make it do what you want it to do without taking a few classes at your local college. it is not the simple point and click program like paint.

watch tv through HULU or something? nope. not gona happen. why? because andriod and adobe are in a pissing contest so the tablet does not come with flash player and adobe does not offer one to download. you have to do an internet search through forums like this one to figure out what you need and how to get it to make the pad do what it should do without having to add third party softwear.

wana attach a picture to your email? nope. not unless you either download a third party file manager or you PAY to use their cloud service which is the only option the email program will look for files in otherwise.

have more than one email account? gona need a seperate email program to add them, no option to switch between email accounts like you can with outlook.

this is the result of android trying to become apple where everything is propriatary and goes through a PAID service, like that pos windows 8 program forcing you to create a windows account just to use your email.

the note will do anything you want it to do and more but the learing curve to do it or to be able to do it without paying some monthly cloud fee is steep and very very time consuming.

i would buy it again because i am a bit tech savy, have the time and will to learn and will not be trapped into some monthly fee to use an electronic devise like apple forces upon you.

but

if you want something that is plug and play out of the box, do not buy an android pad of any type. the s pen is a fad that will fade much faster than it took to develop as well. we all have been typing since the introduction of texting, really really stupid for a company to work against human behavior with this stupid pen instead of complementing it. the whole point of a pad was to eliminate needing things like a full size computer, paper, and yes even a pen. a paper and pen style tablet. rofl, talk about irony.

want simple plug and play, get an ipad. needs nothing.

hate big companies forcing you to spend more money than you need to, get the note. just dont waste your time pulling the pen out if its holder. the 2 gigs of ram and split screen sets it apart from the rest. the pen is just the mole on a models cheek. it will do more, but it will take alot of time and research to make it do it.

The S pen may seem like a gimmick to some but having a pressure sensitive pen is not a gimmick to a digital artist, which I am. I already have the note 2 phone and am becoming rather proficient with the S Pen for drawing and painting which is the whole reason I am looking at the Note 10.1. I have an iPad and honestly trying to draw with a fat tipped stylus is an exercise in frustration.

I agree that there is a steep learning curve, but for an artist it's more than worth it, as for Photoshop Touch, I figure since I have spent the last 4 years taking classes and really learning how to use Photoshop CS4, CS5, and CS6 that I should have no trouble figuring out how to use Photoshop Touch. There of course are things I don't know how to do in Photoshop but that is true for anyone, but I do know how to use most of the features for both photo editing and graphic design as well and drawing and painting, my level is advanced at very least, so that shouldn't be a problem. :)
I have no desire to watch HULU, and I can easily transfer files between devices using DropBox, I do it all the time. I don't use my phone or tablet for email, I keep an email addy for the phone that is given out to very very few and used only in very important situations, I don't want all of my list, forum and junk email on my phone or tablet, that stays on the desktop.

I have already learned most of what is necessary on my Note 2 phone, which I love and actually rarely use as a phone. I'm not a phone person, I hate talking on the phone, and rarely text, just a few occasional texts between daughter and granddaughters. I don't dislike my iPad, but it is virtually useless for drawing and painting without pressure sensitivity, and the attempts at creating pressure sensitive stylii for it are not good at all. In essence I already have the Note tablet just in a smaller size and I love it.

I'm sorry you aren't happy with your Note but the truth is not every product is perfect for everyone, your needs and wants are very different from mine, and if you require flash I guess you need a Surface because iPad doesn't have it either.

I will be getting the Note 10.1, the question is when not if.

jonny1507

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
it is a do it yourself project, not a finnished product.

the average usuer will play with it for a few weeks and list it on ebay within a month. the tech types like the poster above will play with it untill next year when they put a decent screen on it and then they will list theirs on ebay too. ebay is the clear winner here.

wrong bunch of softwear for the average user, not enough resolution for the tech types who are used to superrior graphics.

fire the product manager. clearly he is out of touch with the human race.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
it is a do it yourself project, not a finnished product.

the average usuer will play with it for a few weeks and list it on ebay within a month. the tech types like the poster above will play with it untill next year when they put a decent screen on it and then they will list theirs on ebay too. ebay is the clear winner here.

wrong bunch of softwear for the average user, not enough resolution for the tech types who are used to superrior graphics.

fire the product manager. clearly he is out of touch with the human race.

Huh? You have got to be kidding.

pmcdunnough

May 18, 2013
Visit site
To those who think they can get by with typing because they text a lot it is clear that science is not a priority for you. Try typing out a math lecture on the fly and see how you do. I admit to being mainly an iPad user but I really like the Note 8.0 and I also think that the 10.1 is a great tablet for students, amongst others, who want to use it for scientific lecture taking. Typing just doesn't cut it I am afraid and the iPad, like most capacitive screen based tablets, has the palm problem. The S-pen is certainly not a fad. Only a very uniformed user would dare to say that.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

ludoke

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to pay to redownload your Playstore apps ,it's going true your google account. If you have even 5 android devices, you can download your purchased apps on all of them.

Dame95

Sep 1, 2010
www.OmenDesigns.com
Claudia - I cannot verify this yet, as I just ordered the Note 10.1 - but I have read on other forums that you can use other Wacom Styli with the Note 10.1. Also that it can differentiate the pen and eraser sides of them. I also use an Intuos 4 regularly, and look forward to trying my pen on the Note when I get it. If you already have yours, and haven't tried it yet, it's worth a shot! Let me know if & how it works for ya!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non