Former Iphone user confused about rooting

AlexB650

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I just purchased an AT&T Galaxy Note 2 on Sunday and I haven't set it down in 2 days, but I already want to root it (I think). However, I'm very lost and have some questions. I'm a former Iphone user for 5 years and I had jailbroken all 3 of my phones. I was not into all the crazy tweaks and what not because I felt they made the phone buggy. What I'm looking to do is to be able to make small cusomizations as I play with this phone some more and find changes that I want to make.

I understand that Rooting is the same as Jailbreaking and I have read this guide (http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ms-hacks/236419-t-galaxy-note-2-how-root.html) on how to root. I am very confused as to what exactly Rooting will do. Will it install an app like Cydia, where I can go to install different tweaks? Or, do I have to choose a Rom [as I think it's called] that will have some predetermined tweaks and allows for no further modifications? Also, is there a "jailbroken" app store that I can gain access to? Thanks.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
There is no Cydia type application installed. When you root the phone you're just giving it root access. There are root applications on the Play Store which you can only use if you have root.

As for ROM's, those you can install once you root and install a custom recovery. These would be changing the firmware itself and some include tweaks. You have the very basic CleanROM which just basically stock without the carrier bloatware. Then you have others (which I haven't fooled with) that will have different tweaks in them and are based off Android. With CleanROM it's based on the current Samsung release so it's always behind on features.

If you install other ROM's there's a good chance your S Pen won't work and you'll lose Samsung applications.

That's a basic overview. You root to gain administrative access. Optionally you install a custom recovery (i.e.TWRP) which will allow you to install custom ROM's. Everyone has their own thing. Some stop at just rooting while others want to experiment with ROM's. Just be careful because you can brick your phone.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I just purchased an AT&T Galaxy Note 2 on Sunday and I haven't set it down in 2 days, but I already want to root it (I think). However, I'm very lost and have some questions. I'm a former Iphone user for 5 years and I had jailbroken all 3 of my phones. I was not into all the crazy tweaks and what not because I felt they made the phone buggy. What I'm looking to do is to be able to make small cusomizations as I play with this phone some more and find changes that I want to make.

I understand that Rooting is the same as Jailbreaking and I have read this guide (http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ms-hacks/236419-t-galaxy-note-2-how-root.html) on how to root. I am very confused as to what exactly Rooting will do. Will it install an app like Cydia, where I can go to install different tweaks? Or, do I have to choose a Rom [as I think it's called] that will have some predetermined tweaks and allows for no further modifications? Also, is there a "jailbroken" app store that I can gain access to? Thanks.

When you root, your gaining access to the root of the device to make a multitude of changes, whether it be with apps or within the file structure. There are (from what I have used) the Odin (stock recovery) and other recovery application options. I use twrp because it is touch based.

When you (if you decide to do so) do, it will depend on what your ultimate goal is, but your ultimately opening up your device to not being constrained by what the carrier wishes for you to have.

Installing a rom(and also kernels) will either enable features, enhance features, allow you to overclock, etc to your device(perfect example is the multi Window function that on stock is still very limited, but on cleanROM is completely configurable). The roms are more up to date and from what I have experienced with the ones I run, more stable than what the carriers put out because they normally are based off the code released from Samsung (in this case). The individual developer then works of that to create the rom, adding features, applications, changing elements, and removing applications that on stock you cannot, etc.

It is a nice function if you are careful. But you have to be careful doing it when you first start out(actually any time). Do your research and read all you can. You can, if you choose, decide on the method to interact with the recovery and backup application.

I use Cleanrom and like it very, very much. This particular rom is based on stability and enhanced feature set. It allows you to do many, many things without losing any stock functionality whatsoever. Others like the Jedi rom and many others. It just depends on what you prefer, but be sure to read the issues each version may have before proceeding.

The nice thing though, is, as long as you faithfully backup, you can always go back to a previous setup. It will be the exact state that you saved (apps, etc).

There are many things you can do, and I think the topic of "how to root" is really good, along with many have placed video links within that thread.

Hope either way you go, it works out for you.

Sent from Note 2 via Tapatalk

AlexB650

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. I appreciate your replies and advice. I guess I just have to root it and figure it out for myself what tweaks and what not I want to put on there. There's 2 or 3 things that I know that I want out of rooting for sure and can you guys tell me if it's possible? 1) I want to be able to install a tweak that will get rid of the commercials on Pandora Radio. I had that on my Iphone and I loved it...currently being abused by the commercials. 2) I would like an application that allows me to block certain phone numbers (for example, if it's blocked). Another thing that I noticed about the GN2 is that you can't save pictures from websites, etc. Is there a way that I can simply hold the picutre and hit save, like on the Iphone?

Also, would all of this be possible if I rooted with CleanRom?

Thanks.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Ummm you most certainly can save a pic from an image on the web. You hold the pic for 2 or 3 secs and menu pops up to save image.

As for the ad blocking..yes I know cleanrom can do this but certain apps wont function if you have it installed. I know pandora works but hulu doesnt.

3rd the phone has call rejection built in. You can go to the phone app and hit the menu button and create rules for call rejection.

Sent via Tapatalk

AlexB650

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I just went to root my device from the instructions in the stickies at the top and I realized that I have no idea how to flash (as i think it's called) cleanrom. Also, my phone recently updated and now it's running on 4.1.2 so I wanted to know if those instructions still work?

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I just went to root my device from the instructions in the stickies at the top and I realized that I have no idea how to flash (as i think it's called) cleanrom. Also, my phone recently updated and now it's running on 4.1.2 so I wanted to know if those instructions still work?

Why do you want to root though. You don't need to root like you do with an iPhone as you can already use live wallpapers, custom launchers etc. Rooting might get confusing and unless you have a specific reason, it might be a bit unnecessary.

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

AlexB650

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Why do you want to root though. You don't need to root like you do with an iPhone as you can already use live wallpapers, custom launchers etc. Rooting might get confusing and unless you have a specific reason, it might be a bit unnecessary.

Tom

Tom,

I get bored with default OS's and I really like to be able to customize the phone the way I like it layed out. I also want to be able to blacklist certain phone calls. I know the phone has a "blocked call" setting but it's backwards from what I want. The phone blocks all calls and you have to creat a "white list" that allows people. Rather, I want to have it allow all calls and only block private calls and calls from certain people, for example. I also want to do away with Pandaro ads. Free apps would be nice too. The phone is still new to me and, frankly, I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet but I'm sure there's plenty of other things I will want to tweak as I become more familiar with it. I guess it's because I'm coming from 5 years of having a Jailbroken Iphone and being able to customize things, as the needs arises, that I'm not used to a default operating system.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Tom,

I get bored with default OS's and I really like to be able to customize the phone the way I like it layed out. I also want to be able to blacklist certain phone calls. I know the phone has a "blocked call" setting but it's backwards from what I want. The phone blocks all calls and you have to creat a "white list" that allows people. Rather, I want to have it allow all calls and only block private calls and calls from certain people, for example. I also want to do away with Pandaro ads. Free apps would be nice too. The phone is still new to me and, frankly, I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet but I'm sure there's plenty of other things I will want to tweak as I become more familiar with it. I guess it's because I'm coming from 5 years of having a Jailbroken Iphone and being able to customize things, as the needs arises, that I'm not used to a default operating system.

Cool. I've jailbroken iOS before but haven't yet felt the need to root Android which is why I was asking :)

Tom

MHH779

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I had jailbroken iPhone 4S, I used to download from cydia ALOT of tweaks, themes, etc..
I used to play with cydia ALOT, and I still do on my iPad..
Now with root on my note 2, its not really that necessary, but I needed for many things like market enabler, CyanogenMod 10.1, DirectoryBind to put data of apps on extSD .. Root is just a gain for / instead of only limited to /storage

I like cydia a lot, it has everything in one place.. I miss some simple apps like activator..

I have rooted my phone first day I got it, I experienced many problems but I solved them and now I pretty much know the important things..

I would say, root your phone and explore :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty