Note 2: +1 in front of phone numbers - not Facebook related

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: +1 in front of phone numbers - not Facebook related

Is there an "assisted dialing" option in your call settings?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Nope. Not there. Under Call Settings, I have Additional Settings. If I select that, there is still no choice for US Dialing.

Don't know if it matters but what model do you have. Im on Sprint also do you have it stock or rooted. Any changes to your phone

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

oh ok so if anyone with an AT&T phone sees the setting then please let us know if its different. I would also chekc the ATT form to see if they have something there. I can't why it would be different from Sprint if its TWZ.

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

By any chance did anyone find out why this is happening or a permanent fix for it? in the mean time I am using prefixer, but would like to fix it permanently, its annoying all incoming calls in Verizon note 2 come with plus sign on front of area code. Am using verizon note 2 with ATT sim, also have a ATT S4 which doesn't do this, Thanx in advance :)

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

By any chance did anyone find out why this is happening or a permanent fix for it? in the mean time I am using prefixer, but would like to fix it permanently, its annoying all incoming calls in Verizon note 2 come with plus sign on front of area code. Am using verizon note 2 with ATT sim, also have a ATT S4 which doesn't do this, Thanx in advance :)

I am on Verizon and have never seen or got a +1 on any number. The only numbers with a 1 in front are the toll free 800 numbers and the by the minute 900 numbers. The only other place is on Facebook where the 1+ indicates that you have a USA number.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

Have you looked at the settings options from the dial pad? Some wandering around there might be related.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Dreissig

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

Anyone in this thread that says anything about 1+ needs to stop saying that. It is +1, not 1+. If you say it's 1+, people get confused and problems like OP's occur where he think it's suppose to be + and then the national number, with no country calling code in site.

Now, just in case anyone finds this thread from googling android and number formats like I did, or international calling error, I'll explain the cause of OP's problem. OP received the international call error because he dialled +8663309237 (OP meant to dial +1 8663309237). OP's mobile formatted it as +86 633 092 37 (an 8 digit telephone number in Rizhao, Shandong, China) and requested the network to connect him to China because he forgot to put the 1 between the + and the national number. If you put a +, your mobile interprets the first valid set of numbers after that to be the country calling number and will make a request to the carrier to connect it to the appropriate country. If you put a + and are calling a US telephone number, you MUST put the 1 or it will read part of the city code (866) as the country calling number (+86).

Example: If I want to call my friend in Saint Louis, Missouri, United States (city code 314) from Kansas City, Missouri, United States (city code 816) and I dial +3141234567 (without the 1 after the +, just like OP), my mobile formats it as +31 412 345 67 (an 8 digit telephone number in Oss, Noord-Brabant, Nederland), my mobile requests the network to connect to the Nederlands and the network rejects my call because I don't have international calling enabled or the telephone number is too short. If I dial it as +13141234567, my mobile formats it as +1 314 123 4567 and my mobile requests to connect to Saint Louis, Missouri, United States.

tl;dr It is not + or 1+. It's +1. If you use + or 1+, you're gonna have a bad time.

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Anyone in this thread that says anything about 1+ needs to stop saying that. It is +1, not 1+. If you say it's 1+, people get confused and problems like OP's occur where he think it's suppose to be + and then the national number, with no country calling code in site.

Now, just in case anyone finds this thread from googling android and number formats like I did, or international calling error, I'll explain the cause of OP's problem. OP received the international call error because he dialled +8663309237 (OP meant to dial +1 8663309237). OP's mobile formatted it as +86 633 092 37 (an 8 digit telephone number in Rizhao, Shandong, China) and requested the network to connect him to China because he forgot to put the 1 between the + and the national number. If you put a +, your mobile interprets the first valid set of numbers after that to be the country calling number and will make a request to the carrier to connect it to the appropriate country. If you put a + and are calling a US telephone number, you MUST put the 1 or it will read part of the city code (866) as the country calling number (+86).

Example: If I want to call my friend in Saint Louis, Missouri, United States (city code 314) from Kansas City, Missouri, United States (city code 816) and I dial +3141234567 (without the 1 after the +, just like OP), my mobile formats it as +31 412 345 67 (an 8 digit telephone number in Oss, Noord-Brabant, Nederland), my mobile requests the network to connect to the Nederlands and the network rejects my call because I don't have international calling enabled or the telephone number is too short. If I dial it as +13141234567, my mobile formats it as +1 314 123 4567 and my mobile requests to connect to Saint Louis, Missouri, United States.

tl;dr It is not + or 1+. It's +1. If you use + or 1+, you're gonna have a bad time.

I have never had to dial a 1 on my cell phone to call a different city just the area. The only time I have ever used a 1 was to call a businesses 1 800 number.

welldonedanny

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

on my phone contacts, specifically when adding ph#'s, I have to delete the prefix or my carrier (Virgin) gives me an error message "the call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the code and try again" As my contacts were all modified I have had little trouble with it until I went on google Hangouts. NOW, if I try to call a number from my "hangouts" list it automatically slaps the prefix (+1) back on there and I get the error message when dialing. I looked all around google account, profile, phone # and Google plus and see NOWHERE to edit this. My Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g LTE has it in the phone settings but no way to change there unless changing the country.... not sure that's a good idea theses days I read through all the posts and don't see a solution??
:confused:

welldonedanny

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I have no problem making calls anywhere in the USA with the area code and 7 digit number "123-456-7890"

on my phone contacts, specifically when adding ph#'s, I have to delete the prefix or my carrier (Virgin) gives me an error message "the call cannot be completed as dialed, please check the code and try again" As my contacts were all modified I have had little trouble with it until I went on google Hangouts. NOW, if I try to call a number from my "hangouts" list it automatically slaps the prefix (+1) back on there and I get the error message when dialing. I looked all around google account, profile, phone # and Google plus and see NOWHERE to edit this. My Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g LTE has it in the phone settings but no way to change there unless changing the country.... not sure that's a good idea theses days I read through all the posts and don't see a solution??
:confused:

Enaikelt

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

That may be the cause of OP's problem, but it's not the root cause - as OP says, he formats all his numbers with neither the + or the 1 or the +1, and he obviously understands the reason why it's calling internationally. Or was your post meant more to give background information?

Speaking for myself, the root problem is that my phone receives incoming calls as "+866 560-1234" (or the phone number of whoever's dialing in), sans the 1. I get the call, hit the green button to dial back, and it tells me I'm dialing an international number. I have to retype the number and add the "1" in manually to call them back. These are people I don't have in my contacts who are miss-calling me to have their number added, and my phone is definitely listed as being in the United States. If my phone received it that way, it should dial back out that way.

Although, speaking of people I have in my contacts, even if I import into my contacts the phone number "866 560-1234" (without any extensions) the phone refuses to recognize it when the person calls in, preferring instead either "+1" or "+". This is pretty basic functionality for a phone as smart as this - It should know better.

Last edited:

NickAmeen

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I have s4 + infront of the number same problem if u know how to fix it let me know pls

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

As Dreissig said, the + signals that the country code comes next. "+1" means US. If you leave off the country code, the number does not know what country to call and will work only if the phone is in North America when you place the call. If there is any chance that you will ever take your phone out of North America and want to call numbers in your contact list while you are away, you are better off with the +1 shown. Also, if you are going to give a phone number to someone outside of North America or post it to a forum read by people from outside of North America, they will need the +1 (but they will probably know to add it)

If you are in the US, plan never to take your phone out of the country, and don't exchange phone numbers with people outside of the country, then you don't need the +1. But it does, not hurt. I have never heard of a correctly typed +1 causing any trouble dialing and if anyone is having trouble with +1 dialing I would like to see the screen shot. Of course, as Dreissig explained, coding the + without the 1 or after the 1 is just wrong and wont work.

Which leads to the question of why sometimes you see the +1 on caller id and sms and sometimes you don't. I'm just guessing here but I think it's controlled by the local phone company. I say this because I see the +1 on calls I received in NYC but not on calls I received at home. There's a suggestion that ios phones do not attach the +1. To test that I would like to see an android phone and an iPhone sitting beside each other on a table receive a text from a third phone and observe whether there's any difference in how the sender's number is recorded.
Finally where did that weirdly wrong +866 number come from? I can only assume that the OP tried so hard to eradicate the +1 that he eliminated the 1 but could not eliminate the +. If that's wrong and your phone company is actually sending you texts with +866 in the number I would recommend complaining to the phone company.

Jwiltse

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
This is an old thread but just in case anyone else stumbles upon it and is looking for a solution to the problem I have encountered on my HTC One when Google search results automatically return a +1 prefix, resulting in a "mobile network not available" or some such nonsense error message...

What worked for me was to turn on Assisted Dialing (Settings / Call / Assisted Dialing). Just make sure you confirm that the proper country is set in "Current Country."

Now my phone still shows the +1 prefix, but the calls go through fine.

Tarpon65

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
This is an old thread but just in case anyone else stumbles upon it and is looking for a solution to the problem I have encountered on my HTC One when Google search results automatically return a +1 prefix, resulting in a "mobile network not available" or some such nonsense error message...

What worked for me was to turn on Assisted Dialing (Settings / Call / Assisted Dialing). Just make sure you confirm that the proper country is set in "Current Country."

Now my phone still shows the +1 prefix, but the calls go through fine.

Thank you I had been searching for a solution to this. When I hit a phone number shown on a webpage my phone was adding the +1 and the call was not going through. By clicking on "Assisted Dialing" my calls now go through even though the +1 is still shown on my dialer.

Alan Mcleod

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
settings/call / us dialing-leave blank. International call-- make sure that their is not a number in the code. (press int.cal make blank) This will make the +1 go away. It is for international calls and probably got a 1 put in by accident.That activated the +1 in your in coming call that is what usually happens.

Michel Merlin

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Always record GLOBAL phone numbers, COMPLETE from COUNTRY CODE to eventual extension

Always record GLOBAL phone numbers, COMPLETE from COUNTRY CODE to eventual extension

(Fri 16 Nov 2012 10:37)
I always format the US numbers in my phone with a +1 777-777-777...
I second you "gafly" Fri 16 Nov 2012 10:37, and I add: this is better for ALL numbers, not just US ones. Explanations:

A - Until the 1990s, global phone numbers were quite well implemented, known, understood and used by persons, communication programs, machines, organisations world-wide, because phone numbers being dialed by hand on wheels, it was important to make easy to dial them shortened:

1. Inside your office, you just dialed the EXTENSION
  2. In your own local area, you just dialed the LOCAL digits
  3. In your own country you added the AREA code when it was different from yours (i.e. for "long distance" calls)
  4. In international, you added the OUTGOING command then the COUNTRY code (See Wikipedia List of country calling codes, which explains the scheme)
  5. To call out of your office or your country, you had to dial first an OUTGOING COMMAND (usually and formerly it was "0" to call out of office, "00" in the USA to call out of country; so to make an international call from inside an USA office, your total dialing started with "000").
B - This is why Numbers were (and still are theoretically) cut with signs showing which parts were the country code, area code, local number, extension. The Outgoing commands, being NOT parts of numbers, were NOT included. For instance, your number could be:

+1 (456) 789 1234 x9876​

1. the "+" sign at beginning means "this is a complete number, hence including country, area, local"
  2. the parentheses show the COUNTRY CODE (which is before the parentheses, here "1" for "North America") AND the AREA CODE (inside the parentheses, here "456")
  3. the "x" shows the extension (this number part is a private one, theoretically defined, known and used inside a company or organisation)
  4. the eventual spaces and dashes are only for human visibility; ideally they are ignored by programs and machines.
C - In the example above, to call you:

1. your buddy in the next room dials "9876"
  2. your wife, calling from home, dials "789 1234 9876"
  3. your mother, from the other end of the country, dials "456 789 1234 9876"
  4. your cousin, calling from Paris, dials "00 1 456 789 1234 9876"
  5. your buddy, wife, mother, cousin can have your number recorded COMPLETE in their device; that device and any other node in the total and global communication system will automatically shorten it if necessary.
D - In small countries people are accustomed to international exchanges and communication; but in the largest country people rarely need or use them hence often forget how it works. In addition, the "country" code for North America, "1", being very short, is often overlooked, triggering misunderstanding of the whole number. In France we suffer both (small country vs the world, relatively large vs Europe) but fortunately our country code, "33", is more visible.

E - Conclusion: In 2015 when calling a number, you have very rarely to dial it by hand; and all devices and programs are able to quickly and reliably handle COMPLETE numbers; so the best solution, on your phone or PC, is to record ALL your numbers COMPLETE, from "+" to eventual extension, including COUNTRY and LOCAL parts. This will get you rid of all the problems as the one that hits many of us on earth and that "surebuttercringe" reported in the initial post of this thread.

Versailles, Thu 22 Jan 2015 15:04:00 +0100

Last edited:

viper1025

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Always record GLOBAL phone numbers, COMPLETE from COUNTRY CODE to eventual extension

Well let me say, I dont think this problem is solved. As my phone posts + in front of every number in my recent calls. Preventing me using it to call back. If the number is say 216-330-6547 then its +216-330-6547. And when dialed it say "the international call your attempting to make is not allowed from this line". On the recent calls. All outgoing calls are ok. But incoming all have a + in front of the area code.
This is on a SG3 android using Smart Talk AT&T. The internet , face book or settings that i found have nothing to do with it. And updates haven't changed it.