When will the media and public's love affair with the iPhone end?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I have learned that there have been no tasks that I had done on windows I couldn't do on Linux so I have loved mint for a while now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Being am engineer at an an engineering school, I am noticing that electrical and computer guys these days have both. A pc that they do all their work and gaming on, and a mac they carry around for casual stuff.
You must hang with some wealthy guys. When I was in college, I could barely afford one computer let alone 2.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have learned that there have been no tasks that I had done on windows I couldn't do on Linux so I have loved mint for a while now.

I've never tried Linux but have always wanted to give it a go. Maybe when I have an old system I can install it and see how it runs. Does it support programs like photoshop?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I've never tried Linux but have always wanted to give it a go. Maybe when I have an old system I can install it and see how it runs. Does it support programs like photoshop?

If not natively there is a program called wine that provides a compatibility layer for many windows programs and games.

Linux isn't for everyone and it really takes a willingness to learn and research. As for you brad if nothing else you could dual boot and install Linux on a flash drive. I think you would enjoy it.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Both serve their purpose, I've edited with Avid and Premier on PC and FCP on Macs. Is it cheaper on a PC? Sure is but both systems and the respective software get finicky with codecs and formats. Want 100% foolproof? Edit good ol' film on a Steenbeck table, lol.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You must hang with some wealthy guys. When I was in college, I could barely afford one computer let alone 2.

Actually no not really. They just have nothing to their name other than electronics that they have accumulated over the years. All the macs were bought used or refurbished and most of the pics are amd chips which are generally cheaper to build and upgrade.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I find the same to be true with iPad users. It apparently "Just works" yet they are lined up out my door come Spring Break when they need to get on a plane and be able to watch a movie on it.

This sounds like a joke. To get a movie on iPad you do 2 steps. Open App Store then download movie. I can't see had that would be hard. To download your personal movies you just go to movie location and drag it to iTunes then sync. It can't get any easier.

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm no Apple Fanboy but Apple tends to bring in features a bit later because they perfected them.
Until iOS 6 Maps came out.
I got nothing there.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
This sounds like a joke. To get a movie on iPad you do 2 steps. Open App Store then download movie. I can't see had that would be hard. To download your personal movies you just go to movie location and drag it to iTunes then sync. It can't get any easier.

I been helping enough of my friends and classmates to know some people just are too lazy or don't care enough to do the easiest of things. So that just sounds like another day to me.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh I agree yet this appears to be far too difficult for many people.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Every movie I rent I rip with DVD fab and save as mp4. I can add to my iPad or my kid's Nexus 7 anytime. Sim tire 100's of movies on an external hard drive.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I am not Brad. Anyhow, I am not sure why you interpreted my statement the way you did. I said environment.

Oops, sorry.

I guess I took environment to mean the OS because you were comparing it to Windows. Otherwise, what did your comparison mean?

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh I agree yet this appears to be far too difficult for many people.

Is difficult because unlike Android, you have to convert half of your videos to get them to actually work! On my Nexus 7, using MX player, I can play almost anything!

Sent from my Nexus 7

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Is difficult because unlike Android, you have to convert half of your videos to get them to actually work! On my Nexus 7, using MX player, I can play almost anything!

It makes me sad when people post from ignorance.

On your Nexus 7, using a third party app, you can play almost anything. On my iPad, using any one of dozens of third party apps (Azul and CineXplayer are the two I have used), I can play almost anything.

This difference is that on iOS, if you do happen to convert your video to a specific format, there is a built in app that will read the Meta-info to organize your video files into Tv shows and movies and display all sorts of helpful information.

There are many reason to choose Android over iOS, but the ease of transferring, organizing and playing video is not one of them.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

On your Nexus 7, using a third party app, you can play almost anything. On my iPad, using any one of dozens of third party apps (Azul and CineXplayer are the two I have used), I can play almost anything.

This difference is that on iOS, if you do happen to convert your video to a specific format, there is a built in app that will read the Meta-info to organize your video files into Tv shows and movies and display all sorts of helpful information.

There are many reason to choose Android over iOS, but the ease of transferring, organizing and playing video is not one of them.

If anyone is ignorant, it's you. On my iPod, I struggled to get my home movies to even sync to iTunes itself! I had to first convert them to get them to even show up, and then sync it across. I'd certainly say this is harder than simply dragging and dropping straight to the movie folder on Android. And as far as info, going into properties on Android gives my plenty. And also, the movie app automatically scans my device to include the videos no matter where I put them.

Sent from my Nexus 7

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree with Tom. Every time I've tried to copy movie files to my kids ipods or a friends iPad its been nasty. In fact 90% of the time the video won't play unless it's a avi format. Mkv is a lost cause. You actually have to convert the converted files. I've had home videos that I've had to spend 2 hours converting when it always played natively on my transformer prime.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Tom. Every time I've tried to copy movie files to my kids ipods or a friends iPad its been nasty. In fact 90% of the time the video won't play unless it's a avi format. Mkv is a lost cause. You actually have to convert the converted files. I've had home videos that I've had to spend 2 hours converting when it always played natively on my transformer prime.

It is unnecessarily cumbersome! Much easier to work with native files on Android by far!

My sister had my dad purchase an ipad 2 at the beginning of 2012 and she never put any of my dads movies or music on it. I make my dad get a Note 2 last week and I put in it 10 movies in full 720p and 10 gigs worth of his jazz music! My sister cannot compete with me with digital media!! lol :cool:

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Just meant a windows-based PC is the lesser of two evils.

Different strokes, I guess. I worked, played and developed on Windows PCs for about 20 years. About 7 years ago, I switched to Macs, and my life has been much easier. I no longer need to reload the OS every year or so to clean out the cruft, and my experiences with the OS panicing have been almost non-existant. I have never in seven years run into a situation where I needed my OS discs because the computer wouldn't boot. I haven't run a virus scanner in seven years, and I have had no issues at all.

I know a lot of people who like to trash the Mac environment, but its almost always people who have never used it, so I have trouble taking their opinion too seriously.

And before anyone bothers to call me some sort of name, I switched from iOS to Android two months ago so you are going to have trouble with getting a fanboy label to stick.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo