Allow automatic updates

alankchan

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello I was wondering how does the "Allow automatic updates" feature work for my downloaded apps? I notice that when I restart my phone there will be some apps update messages on my notification bar (eg: Facebook successfully updated...etc). Does it mean the auto app update only works when you restart your phone? I hate to always compare with IOS as Iphone 5 was my previous phone, I found it quiet easy to know which of my apps have updates as I can see a badge on the App store icon. Does Android work the same way?

Thanks.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Restarting your phone is not required, but it will expedite checking for updates. If you have automatic updates checked then they will update and let you know in the notification bar at the top. When I had iOS I would sometimes notice that I would get a badge icon either before or after my wife would on her phone. I guess it all depends on the time frame from when you last updated or installed to when you get the notification of an update. There are some apps that won't let you update automatically. You will get the notification, but you will have to tap on it to open the Play store, then update it manually.

I personally prefer to update manually so that I can read the reason for the update before deciding on it. It's also easier to know what was recently updated in case an update causes a problem. You can delete the problem app if necessary to trouble shoot.

alankchan

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Restarting your phone is not required, but it will expedite checking for updates. If you have automatic updates checked then they will update and let you know in the notification bar at the top. When I had iOS I would sometimes notice that I would get a badge icon either before or after my wife would on her phone. I guess it all depends on the time frame from when you last updated or installed to when you get the notification of an update. There are some apps that won't let you update automatically. You will get the notification, but you will have to tap on it to open the Play store, then update it manually.

I personally prefer to update manually so that I can read the reason for the update before deciding on it. It's also easier to know what was recently updated in case an update causes a problem. You can delete the problem app if necessary to trouble shoot.

I see. I always have the auto update checkbox ticked when downloading app but I never notice reciving any update notification while the phone is on, so I always thought I must restart the phone to get the updates.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I've had more trouble when updating than when I've elected not to. Never understood the fascination with updating the OS, either; not every update is an improvement.

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
My friend have sprint note two and she left all app on automatic update. When she went to work it was on 98% then she finished work for 5 hours, her phone went to 6%. She was trying to understand how the heck the phone get from 98 to 6% in five hours. Found out it was those automatic update still updating the apps on mobile network. Apparently the auto update will occur if there is no screen activity more than 30 min.

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress