Google Reader replacement?

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone I any suggestions for RSS reader replacement for Google Reader? I liked the layout of it. I hate Pulse, Flipboard and Google Currents. I think they are just atrocious on a phone. I want something very similar to Google Reader. It was a very quick application and I think it was very good a using screen real estate to the fullest. I would like something cross-platform so I can sync it on my Note 2 or my Windows 8 laptop. This is probably the second most used Google app for me. Gmail is obviously my number one since it is my primary email. I use Google Reader more than the Google Play Store and now I am worried that I won't find anything that will fill its place. There really is no better way to get news than a RSS feed reader.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I was scrambling earlier today. So far though, all alternatives are getting hammered so it's hard to say which is the best right now as most are unusable.

Based on my research Netvibes and NewsBlur are the closest to what Google Reader offered. Netvibes is completely free with no limitations, unless you need analytic/tracking. NewsBlur is partially free as you can only hold up to 64 feeds without having to pay. That's why I'm leaning toward Netvibes, but it's really slow and sometimes unresponsive with the mass influx of Google Reader users. Same can be sad for NewsBlur.

Also, on an Android note, NewsBlur has a native app in the Play Store while Netvibes only has a web based mobile version and no app.

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I was scrambling earlier today. So far though, all alternatives are getting hammered so it's hard to say which is the best right now as most are unusable.

Based on my research Netvibes and NewsBlur are the closest to what Google Reader offered. Netvibes is completely free with no limitations, unless you need analytic/tracking. NewsBlur is partially free as you can only hold up to 64 feeds without having to pay. That's why I'm leaning toward Netvibes, but it's really slow and sometimes unresponsive with the mass influx of Google Reader users. Same can be sad for NewsBlur.

Also, on an Android note, NewsBlur has a native app in the Play Store while Netvibes only has a web based mobile version and no app.

I will have to check out both of them. NewsBlur looks like something I would want though. I only follow about 25 RSS feeds right now, so it would work out well. I have no problem paying for the app if I need to go pay the 64 feed limit. Thank you.

ClintonWu

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
If you're looking for an alternative to skim headlines, please give Skim.Me (Skim.Me) a shot. We're a startup releasing soon to help you keep up at a glance. We'll work cross-device out of the box (responsive design).

Don't pay attention to the picture on the splash page. We're redesigning our skimmer from tiles to a list/stream of info (like Reader) but with an updated design.

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
If you're looking for an alternative to skim headlines, please give Skim.Me (Skim.Me) a shot. We're a startup releasing soon to help you keep up at a glance. We'll work cross-device out of the box (responsive design).

Don't pay attention to the picture on the splash page. We're redesigning our skimmer from tiles to a list/stream of info (like Reader) but with an updated design.

I just sent an invite request. I will check it out. I am looking for something where it is easy to browse headlines until I find an article I want to read. This sounds perfect.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone I any suggestions for RSS reader replacement for Google Reader? I liked the layout of it. I hate Pulse, Flipboard and Google Currents. I think they are just atrocious on a phone. I want something very similar to Google Reader. It was a very quick application and I think it was very good a using screen real estate to the fullest. I would like something cross-platform so I can sync it on my Note 2 or my Windows 8 laptop. This is probably the second most used Google app for me. Gmail is obviously my number one since it is my primary email. I use Google Reader more than the Google Play Store and now I am worried that I won't find anything that will fill its place. There really is no better way to get news than a RSS feed reader.
G Reader is excellent. Better than Google Reader IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

Yell0w

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Google Reader is dying, but we have five worthy alternatives cnet.co/ZJbNAB

Feedly promises 'seamless' transition after Google Reader to its own backend - engt.co/WIF2qW

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Does this mean programs like GReader won't work? I always thought it was just a different reader and not connected to the actual Google Reader system.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I tried Feedly last night and hated it. I wish Microsoft would create an alternative. I wish they would have ended Google Currents instead. Google currents is a worthless knock off of Flipboard.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
There are a number of good RSS readers, each with its own benefits. The problem is not the "reader." The problem is the loss of synchronization across multiple devices/platforms/applications with the loss of the API.

What other service is there that can work across Windows, Mac, Android and IPhone/IPad? I use different readers on different platforms, but the stay in perfect synchronization because of the central connection to Google Reader.

This is like Microsoft shutting down Exchange and everyone asking what is a better e-mail application than Outlook? It is not the application, it is the system that makes all of the many, many different applications work together and stay in harmony.

alamarco

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm sticking with Netvibes. Simple layout with no restrictions and a ton of options. You can make it a customized look with a widget type look or you can mimic the Google Reader interface. While there are a few subtle differences, I stuck with the Google Reader interface (they call it "reader" view).

I think my only dislike is that to go to the actual article source you have to click this small forward button at the top. So far that's my only annoyance.

The best part is it'll work on any device because it has a mobile website. The mobile website, while not having the full range of options available, is good enough to read and view your feeds. The nice thing about the mobile website is that to view the article source it's much easier than on the desktop. Their is one issue though with the mobile website, there is no copying of text or links. That's why I need to go to the source often if I need to copy.

I also gave NewsBlur another check since it's been a day since the initial surge of users and it seems they've changed the standard account from 64 feeds to 12. 64 was decent, but 12 is terrible. I understand the rush of users caused server issues, but I don't think many will pay when it's so limited out of the box and when there are many free options.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87