Fingerprint reader is useless!

R1945

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
New Pixel 7 very nice. However, fingerprint reader has issues. I have tried about 10 times or more to make a recognizable fingerprint using thumb and forefinger.

Cleaned the screen, clean my fingers and hand multiple times. Fingerprint reader finishes add fingerprints, but about 80% of the time Pixel 7 can not recognize fingerprint.

Is this something Google is going to fix. It seems a lot of folks are having the same issue.

Reactions: Morty2264

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why some people have such a problem with it. I've had both the 6 and 7 Pro and no issues at all. Works at least 95% of the time on the first attempt. Try setting up the print without your finger so clean and dry. I know the only time mine hasn't worked is when I just wash my hands and they dry. Try putting some hand lotion on and rub it in for a while so it's not sticky, then try setting it up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I rarely have issues on my 7 Pro. You don't have a screen protector on, right?

I find that a nice firm press (to optimize the print for reading by the optical sensor) is best.

Reactions: mumfoau

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
New Pixel 7 very nice. However, fingerprint reader has issues. I have tried about 10 times or more to make a recognizable fingerprint using thumb and forefinger.

Cleaned the screen, clean my fingers and hand multiple times. Fingerprint reader finishes add fingerprints, but about 80% of the time Pixel 7 can not recognize fingerprint.

Is this something Google is going to fix. It seems a lot of folks are having the same issue.
A couple of suggestions that might be of help:

1. With the 7-series, you can add up to a total of 4 fingerprints (which is annoyingly few - they used to allow more). If you generally use the same thumb or forefinger, try learning each of them twice (using 2 of the 4 slots for each digit), as that doubles the compare pool. Make sure when setting up the fingerprints that, in addition to cleaning screen, fingers, etc, you also press firmly and emphasize presses where your digit is applied in the position it normally would be when hold the phone naturally during use.

2. Go to Settings --> Display --> Screen Protector Mode and toggle the mode on. If you are using a screen protector, the sensitivity of the optical sensor is lessened, so this makes up for it, but even if you are not using a screen protector you may benefit from it.

R1945

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for input. I have re-inputted and re-inputted multiple times. It seems to work right after I do the input setup but after a day or days starts not recognizing the print again. I have now tried the finger cream and entered two slots the for thumb, and two slots for the forefinger. I hope it works. The Blackberry I replaced with this phone never had any problems, nor do any of my laptops that use fingerprints. I think it something Google needs to look at.

Any other suggestions?

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for input. I have re-inputted and re-inputted multiple times. It seems to work right after I do the input setup but after a day or days starts not recognizing the print again. I have now tried the finger cream and entered two slots the for thumb, and two slots for the forefinger. I hope it works. The Blackberry I replaced with this phone never had any problems, nor do any of my laptops that use fingerprints. I think it something Google needs to look at.

Any other suggestions?
Quick lick of your finger, wipe on your jeans always works for me when fingers are dry....

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My FPS works fine as well. I have dry skin and my prints are not that well defined. I just make sure when I register my prints that I do all angles and positions I can during setup. I'd say 9 out of 10 times it just works

R1945

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am wondering since I am older, 78, if my fingerprints are worn down! Looking at them there does not seem to be much of a print, pretty smooth.

My new Pixel 7 does not read my fingerprints well.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering since I am older, 78, if my fingerprints are worn down! Looking at them there does not seem to be much of a print, pretty smooth.

My new Pixel 7 does not read my fingerprints well.
mine are pretty well worn down. Yours would have to be pretty bad

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine works good, not great! OnePlus knows how to do an under glass FP sensor. Theirs works GREAT!
Rear sensors are the best...hands down. Side mount ones on the power button are OK...they work well enough but I don't like them...personal choice. But I do think that the Pixel FP sensor could be better. Either the hardware has issues or the way Google implements them is the problem. Then when you add the fact that some people have dry skin on top of a less-than-optimal sensor in the Pixel.... you have the makings of an unhappy camper!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I found I was having some fingerprint sensor issues, but the latest update seemed to fix it for the most part. Hopefully we get better fixes soon!

livetovacation60

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
For me there was a little bit of a learning curve on the best way to use the sensor. This is my 4th Pixel with the previous 3 with the rear sensor and of course there's no sense going there. I had to work on scanning and re-scanning but it did get better. However recently it's gotten much better with mention of a possible update that helped, so can I figure this update to be true?

Last edited:

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I like in-screen sensors (not optical) and side mount sensors but not back sensors as I have to lift the phone every time to use it. Currently P7Pro is working great except very few times and the combination of face unlock made it good.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have mentioned this before...somewhere...but why can't a "smart" phone have 2 FP sensors?
One on the back and one under the glass? I see no logical reason why this cannot happen!
I'm sure the added cost would be minimal.

Reactions: Jx J

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Because under-glass is the "new thing" in a world where most OEMs are struggling to come up with "what's next" in h/w... :oops:;)
I thought the rear sensors were great, too, also very close to 100% for my old(er), worn fingers.

Then I discovered I could unlock with the phone in a ziploc (I'm a long-time road cyclist), AND with a screen-protector, hybrid-type , a good 50% of the time (sort of a challenging scenario for a reader, if you ask me).
I find that if my hands are dry, and I'm reasonably hydrated, and my skin isn't super dry that day (that getting older thing again, plus lots of cycling miles, sigh...), that I get maybe 85-90% from my reader, with just the screen protector, which is pretty good, IMHO. The face unlock covers almost all the rest, IME, short of a PIN challenge.
Not sure I'd be willing to go back to a rear-only sensor, given the handiness of the ziploc scenario, for me, but I guess we'll see where the market goes next. Could be something really cool/revolutionary, or another "solution looking for a problem", hmm... :rolleyes::unsure: