Note 2 will not store media files on SD card

Eilea

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Friends, I am reaching the end of frustration . . . . the consideration of making the switch to an apple product level of frustration. :(

I love my Note II for many reasons. Too bad it doesn't work.

I cannot seem to get it to permanently store anything on the SD card. It may store copied files for a day, two days, or a mere hour before relinquishing them, and then no more. By this I mean that my music player will prompt me that that it is sorry, but the player cannot recognize the file - like a bad break-up speech or something. (see attached) I half expect a secondary prompt to appear stating "It's not you - it's me". Sometimes it will play the first 2 seconds of a song before skipping on to the next track, sometimes it will sound like a badly damaged CD, and skip the whole way through a song.

With photos, I either get strange color blocking on portions of photos, or a black screen with a white figure and a lightning bolt. Note the attached photo of my niece taking her first steps . . . . with the waist down portion conveniently lost forever, for no apparent reason.

I tried; a new SD card, debugging, searching in a root explorer for a .nomedia file, factory reset, SD formatting, and even got a replacement phone when Rogers could not identify the issue . . . the new phone has the exact same problems.

Can anyone think of any other considerations before disassociating my family with Android forever?

Arghh.

Attachments

• jRV65cUS0wW3Plpm1Cbjdm0cBLxdfu8yPugh-xIepsg.png
    jRV65cUS0wW3Plpm1Cbjdm0cBLxdfu8yPugh-xIepsg.png
    214 KB · Views: 18
  • Mr0vyuegbrWQjQcC1Ww07Jt683ZbOqyhsVCRQ_MBPz8.png
    Mr0vyuegbrWQjQcC1Ww07Jt683ZbOqyhsVCRQ_MBPz8.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 18
  • np6jOcB7yzRbs-9vXdpJgQVNNYZnCCdayF-r-bCJqAQ.png
    np6jOcB7yzRbs-9vXdpJgQVNNYZnCCdayF-r-bCJqAQ.png
    611.7 KB · Views: 18

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Which brand of SD cards did you use? Samsung phones don't like to play nice with certain SD cards. I had to reset one of mine multiple times until I gave up and bought a different brand. It's a SanDisk Class 4 card and I have not had any issues, whereas before I had the exact same problems you were having

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Or while you are at it try using a stock media player or different media player all together. What is the one you are using if you dont mind me asking.

as far as SD cards are concerned we will need to know things like sd card brand and model name. Read/write speeds are important, cheapo cards are know to have issues and unfortunately not all cards are created equal. But if you have errors with different media file types it leads me to believe its an sd card error regardless of whether its a new card or not, not the phone. Try this. A picture or song that you normally have problems with, try saving to internal phone memory. If it can be viewed or listened to then it is most definitely your craptastic sd card. If not then it is your phone or files errors.

Iphones are fine, ive had several so I know the type. Head that way if you want to pay a premium for a smaller phone with less capability.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, the first picture displayed, what file types is it that you are trying to read?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have always used Scan Disk and never had a problem with a card. I only recently bought a new one, to have a larger card. My other one was at least 10 years old and had been through numerous phones.

I know a while back, many were buying the 64 G very high capacity cards and having problems with them. This time I bought a Polaroid card on Amazon, 32 G, higher class card, because I got it for $10 and decided to try it and I've not had any problems. I just didn't go with the "big guns" 64 G super whatever it is called, because many had a lot of problems with those cards and Galaxy series phones.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend a class 10 SD card.

Posted via Android Central App

Sammy phones usually have issues with the Class 10 cards. My last one was Class 10 and it didn't work well, my new one is Class 4 and I haven't had issues

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana