Note 3 - FM Radio tuner???

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I forgot about the Thunderbolt having the FM tuner, I had that for a while, until I couldn't deal with the battery life anymore.

taxiron1

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Never had it either. I hate fm in my car, thats why I got Sirius/XM. I sure dont want it on my phone. I use the Sirius/XM app, and tune in radio to find a specific station else where that has a short term program of interest. And thats rare.

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
My interest in FM is for weather reports .... I go out in the wilderness a lot with no option for data .... FM isn't that great, but have been able to get weather from FM when data is definitely not an option!

Cheers, Jon

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I would want to use the FM tuner for listening to sports broadcast during a game. I was at a Dodgers game and trying to stream an online feed was impossible. There were so many competing cell phones you couldn't get a reliable connection and if you did it was delayed and kept having to wait for buffer. It also chewed up battery very quickly.

Posted via Android Central App

AcaiBowl

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I had a Galaxy S3 with FM tuner. I could listen to music, news, soccer games AND record it. It was an awesome feature.
Plus, I got a Sony bluetooth headphones that has a built-in FM tuner. So I was pretty covered. :)

I still have my Sony's in case Note 3 doesn't have it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@All

A few posts were removed to cleanup some uncalled for comments. I apologize to those trying to offer help instead of insults.

Paul
Forums Moderator.

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Which carrier did you have the S3 with? Never thought my S3 had a tuner. Some carriers disable the tuner :(

Cheers, Jon

I had a Galaxy S3 with FM tuner. I could listen to music, news, soccer games AND record it. It was an awesome feature.
Plus, I got a Sony bluetooth headphones that has a built-in FM tuner. So I was pretty covered. :)

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

That's a great idea with the Sony Bluetooth headphones. I hadn't thought of that. Will certainly get if the Note 3 doesn't have an FM tuner enabled.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Which carrier did you have the S3 with? Never thought my S3 had a tuner. Some carriers disable the tuner :(

Cheers, Jon

I don't think that any of the US variants had the FM tuner, but the overseas versions did.

To the moderator, I don't know why FM tuner discussions get so heated but it is something that I have noticed across many forums.

BioMed007

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Most phones I've seen with a radio require the plugged in wire headset and use the wire as the antenna.

Sent from my PC36100 using AC Forums mobile app

GtoJon

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a 2.5-3.5mm adapter I plugged in & then I could set my radio to use my Bluetooth headset to listen & worked great!

Cheers, Jon
Most phones I've seen with a radio require the plugged in wire headset and use the wire as the antenna.

Sent from my PC36100 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

DaleGriggs

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
The Note 2 had an FM Tuner so the Note 3 probably will have it too. But, there is a good chance Verzion will block it so you will have to use data to listen to a radio station.

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
The Note 2 had an FM Tuner so the Note 3 probably will have it too. But, there is a good chance Verzion will block it so you will have to use data to listen to a radio station.

What note 2 do you have with a fm Tuner ? You see my signature and note 2 doesn't have a fm tuner

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

beto_nl

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My Note2 , the N7100 international got FM radio enabled , it comes with a stock FM radio app and works with Spirit FM app too (no streaming)

The OP here just asked if the Note 3 will have FM radio or not.
He didn't ask for streaming radio tips or how useful or not offline FM radio is.

Somebody here already posted a link (arena) with information that the Note 3 will have FM radio and I found a Dutch site claiming the same...Here is the roughly translated one:
Samsung Galaxy Note has three FM radio

rich_halvorson

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Correct all the carriers will block it. They can't make money on selling you more data for streaming your online radio if you could listen to free over the air FM.

Doxcyguy617

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I also wouldn't mind having the FM capability as well. There are always places where there is no wi-fi and LTE or even 3G may be spotty.

It is funny, but back in the day, I went with a Creative Zen Micro for my first MP3 player over an iPod because I wanted the ability to listen to FM/AM as well as my music stored on the device.

While we have come a long way since then (I still have my Micro and turn it on from time to time), the FM radio would be a nice feature for those who would like to use it in conjunction with its many other awesome features.

creative_zen_micro_6.jpg

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I also wouldn't mind having the FM capability as well. There are always places where there is no wi-fi and LTE or even 3G may be spotty.

It is funny, but back in the day, I went with a Creative Zen Micro for my first MP3 player over an iPod because I wanted the ability to listen to FM/AM as well as my music stored on the device.

While we have come a long way since then (I still have my Micro and turn it on from time to time), the FM radio would be a nice feature for those who would like to use it in conjunction with its many other awesome features.

View attachment 81511

I chose a Creative Zen Vision:M over an iPod for the same reason. So great minds do think alike! FM radios are useful and desired by some people out there.

Edited to add: I wanted to continue to patronize HTC for the same reason, but I have had too many sub-par experiences with HTC devices for me to continue with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa