Note 3 - FM Radio tuner???

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
"@Zmann - I went back again and appreciated the insight into the state of FM stations there at present, sad though it was. I expect FM will last a bit longer in the UK.

Posted on my N9005 via Android Central App"

With all due respect, it was a flawed analysis from an outside observer.

I can take that into account. It was one view from one perspective. It probably is generally not that dire in most areas. It was a view from one listener in one area or on the road who maybe is now fully into streaming radio. I will go back and read all the discussion at some stage. It's another window in to current American life for me.

Gosh these threads are tough.

I don?t think I'm able for it.

Posted on my N9005 via Android Central App

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
We all see things through our own prism. Sometimes it's a blinkered view though. It can be hard to see the whole picture. Sometimes they assume that their own forward thinking is universal. The same is true from people in the inside as well though. They have to avoid clinging to old paradigms.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You just don't get it. Trust me, you don't know what you are talking about. I'm not trying to be mean when I say that. Don't forget that radio stations have an internet presence as well. This underpins the terrestrial side. The thing is that 99% of all cars have no wi-fi. It's going to take decades before there's a substantial change in that percentage. Maybe THEN you might see terrestrial stations start falling by the wayside. Decades. And I'm not being a Luddite when I say that.

Bottom line is, terrestrial radio is far from dead at this point. THAT is just a fact.

That was you.

OK. I picked up all your comments, if not your links.

You do know a bit about radio.

I just like to listen where I can to phone-ins, interviews, debates, Q+A hours (lbc. co. uk @ 12.00 GMT Thursdays), live sports etc. I don't enjoy music on the radio anymore, even the classics stations.

I would like to keep the terrestrial option on the phone I use. Though unlike most I don?t like to walk much with a headset on.

I have no background in radio. Just 27 years in London, many nocturnal jobs in the early nineties where that was all you had.

Many of the great speech presenters are still around.
Radio presenting is a great art. Hope it doesn't die out too.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
There are many folks like me who have relatively short commutes in the car and who, despite the fact that they have connectivity (like me, who can plug my player in), opt to not bother and just tune in the radio. Plus, in markets that have stations that actually send FM programs out where the dj programs his or her own show, admittedly a shrinking number, a surprising number of people actually listen over the air. It's not a growth market by any means, but there's a reason why radio stations are a commodity that people still want to buy.

And yes, I have a rather unique window into radio.

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
There are many folks like me who have relatively short commutes in the car and who, despite the fact that they have connectivity (like me, who can plug my player in), opt to not bother and just tune in the radio. Plus, in markets that have stations that actually send FM programs out where the dj programs his or her own show, admittedly a shrinking number, a surprising number of people actually listen over the air. It's not a growth market by any means, but there's a reason why radio stations are a commodity that people still want to buy.

And yes, I have a rather unique window into radio.

That's probably the key thing about radio, and why people switch it on.
It's running live.
You can catch everything as it happens, and catch up with comments after an event.

More so with sports. I can't envision the graohical descriptions of tennis or football movements as if it were television, who does?
But it's the drama of what will happen next.

Yes John Peel was followed by many.
John Dunne who broadcast up to about 10 years ago, was the greatest, nicest presenter on BBC.

Old Bob Harris ('Old Grey Whistle Test') who I didn't like at first, too gravelly whispery serious on pop since the 70's, but amazing knowledge of pop music. He moved to a great live show on a commercial channel.

Different cultures.

I got to like Howard Stern since America's Got Talent. Some don't I'm sure.

Nice chat. You probably have an interesting history. Tony.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The qualcomm snapdragon 800 is capable of lte advanced with carrier aggregation AND FM radio. The Sprint note 3 supports fm radio and utilities the snapdragon 800

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/relea...neration-snapdragon-premium-mobile-processors

http://nextradioapp.com/supported-devices/

Of note, the Sprint note 3 supports cdma and single band lte on Sprint , the Verizon Note 3 supports CDMA and two lte bands. The att and tmobile Note 3 support multiple lte bands.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Didn't know Bob Harris is big there, Then he is a legend in the business. Good to hear, he deserves it. I forget what station I last heard him on, but it was a good show with a great mix.

There's probably no link either end, but if you ever met John Denver I would love to hear about it.
Saw him live in a small concert by accident around 1994/5. Since about 2002 I have been a serious fan of his recordings. Virtually all I listen to.
They finally did a documentary a few months ago that did him justice, on his 70th birthday as would be.

You're possibly well known in that world.

That's the fun of these forums. You never know what kind of person is behind the name.

Kind regards.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The qualcomm snapdragon 800 is capable of lte advanced with carrier aggregation AND FM radio. The Sprint note 3 supports fm radio and utilities the snapdragon 800

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/relea...neration-snapdragon-premium-mobile-processors

http://nextradioapp.com/supported-devices/

Of note, the Sprint note 3 supports cdma and single band lte on Sprint , the Verizon Note 3 supports CDMA and two lte bands. The att and tmobile Note 3 support multiple lte bands.

@dpham00

Thanks for your amazing knowledge again.
I am still not clear myself though, and I may have missed an early post.

You're saying the Quad-core can support an FM radio.
Did they actually ship some with an FM radio?

Or never mind. You may be saying the Sprint version had it so it's not an app. I'll bow out of this, I'm not there.

midmadn

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a sprint N3 and can confirm that it does have working FM over the air radio. I was just listening to it. Static on weak channels and all. You need the Next Radio app and something plugged into the headphone jack.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a sprint N3 and can confirm that it does have working FM over the air radio. I was just listening to it. Static on weak channels and all. You need the Next Radio app and something plugged into the headphone jack.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

Finally a winner in English. Thank you.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
@dpham00

Thanks for your amazing knowledge again.
I am still not clear myself though, and I may have missed an early post.

You're saying the Quad-core can support an FM radio.
Did they actually ship some with an FM radio?

Or never mind. You may be saying the Sprint version had it so it's not an app. I'll bow out of this, I'm not there.

Yes the snapdragon 800 soc supports fm radio. For some reason carriers don't want to support it in the state

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Didn't know Bob Harris is big there, Then he is a legend in the business. Good to hear, he deserves it. I forget what station I last heard him on, but it was a good show with a great mix.

There's probably no link either end, but if you ever met John Denver I would love to hear about it.
Saw him live in a small concert by accident around 1994/5. Since about 2002 I have been a serious fan of his recordings. Virtually all I listen to.
They finally did a documentary a few months ago that did him justice, on his 70th birthday as would be.

You're possibly well known in that world.

That's the fun of these forums. You never know what kind of person is behind the name.

Kind regards.

Never met Denver. And no, not well known in that world. In certain circles maybe. I know a few folks. I wouldn't say that Harris is "big" per se. But he's well known and well respected by a lot of country musicians because of his stature in the UK. They know that he's an influential dude.

My interest isn't in country music so much though. I'm more of a Clash-oriented guy. Doesn't mean I don't like the good country/folk/Americana artists. Just don't have a lot of time for the mainstream stuff, unless they are folks like Johnny Cash, George Jones, and Hank Williams Sr. Don't have time for the Toby Keith and Luke Bryans of the world. I can only take so many pickup trucks and beers by the lake songs

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What ticks me off is that my nokia 520 which I paid $40 no contract for supports fm radio, whereas my note 3 doesn't. If also has built in offline navigation too. But I digress.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Never met Denver. And no, not well known in that world. In certain circles maybe. I know a few folks. I wouldn't say that Harris is "big" per se. But he's well known and well respected by a lot of country musicians because of his stature in the UK. They know that he's an influential dude.

My interest isn't in country music so much though. I'm more of a Clash-oriented guy. Doesn't mean I don't like the good country/folk/Americana artists. Just don't have a lot of time for the mainstream stuff, unless they are folks like Johnny Cash, George Jones, and Hank Williams Sr. Don't have time for the Toby Keith and Luke Bryans of the world. I can only take so many pickup trucks and beers by the lake songs

Yes.

I'm not into County per se. Garth Brooks, no thanks. Some artists transcend (?) genres. Also fond of Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris (via my #1 female singer Linda Ronstadt -sad news for her) - and others.

I would like to visit Nashville in season though.

I had to Wiki The Clash to remind me. Shame about Joe Strummer. Punk style was not big in Ireland in my teens + 20's, (you may not like that term, they were more stylish than that: Rock the Casbah, London Calling).

Of course it was radio that could make or break an artist. Now probably Twitter and iTunes.

Interesting, thanks.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
What ticks me off is that my nokia 520 which I paid $40 no contract for supports fm radio, whereas my note 3 doesn't. If also has built in offline navigation too. But I digress.

I digressed about another phone earlier.

I keep a small Samsung GT-E2121. Radio with/out a headset, swap in any sim. Great for walking. Hotel. In the bath.

Dumbphones not so dumb.

Last edited: