USB 3.0/Quick Charge 2.0

tannerrblake

May 11, 2013
Visit site
So I'm planning on picking up a note 3 come release day, and I'm curious how the Quick Charge 2.0 feature works and how USB 3.0 comes into play. Out of the box, will the note 3 be able to utilize the technology with the stock charger? How do you even activate Quick Charge/know it's working? Do you have to buy a third party adapter or something?

Thanks for the help!

Posted via Android Central App

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So I'm planning on picking up a note 3 come release day, and I'm curious how the Quick Charge 2.0 feature works and how USB 3.0 comes into play. Out of the box, will the note 3 be able to utilize the technology with the stock charger? How do you even activate Quick Charge/know it's working? Do you have to buy a third party adapter or something?

Thanks for the help!

There's already a thread on this. http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3/311835-usb-3-0-a.html
From a excerpt concerning this feature:
Aside from the wider, strange-looking plug, USB 3.0 has two main advantages: it will transfer files between your phone and PC up to 10 times faster than a traditional USB 2.0 port, though your computer will have to support the new technology as well (it started rolling out in new Macs and PCs in 2012).

Perhaps even more exciting is, combined with Qualcomm?s Quick Charge 2.0, the Galaxy Note 3′s 3200mAh battery will charge much, much faster. USB 3.0 alone improves charging speeds from 500mA of current to 900mA, which is closer to an AC adapter than a USB port. The Note 3 also sports a 1.5A mode, too, which promises to bring charging time to under two hours.

AcemanX AcemanX

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
so where can I find a source that does 1.5? like a wall charger? a micro 3.0 wall charger? do they even sell those? or just a wall dongle and plug in the cable the note 3 comes with?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have only seen 1A and 2A wall chargers that go with Samsungs USB cables so you will either use the included wall charger or a USB 3.0 cable (included or one you buy, like a spare from Samsung's site).

k1ckdapro

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
So basically, only thing USB 3.0 will do is provide a faster charge when plugged in to a PC and of course, faster transfer speeds.

But as to charging from a wallcharger, there shouldn't be any difference, am I right? My Note 8.0 charger outputs 2A without 3.0.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Sounds about right, its mostly a PC side upgrade, too bad it doesn't offer some special features that could be tied into accessories.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
so since i dont have a usb 3.0 computer, i can just ignore this feature, correct?

from what y'all have said, if i use a regular charger, there will be no improvement, but if i use the new samsung charger/cable in the box, will it be any faster?

I'm technologically stupid, sorry.

AcemanX AcemanX

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
so since i dont have a usb 3.0 computer, i can just ignore this feature, correct?

from what y'all have said, if i use a regular charger, there will be no improvement, but if i use the new samsung charger/cable in the box, will it be any faster?

So ive been doing research on this quick charge 2.0 Qualcomm built into the 800 series of Snapdragon processors, to use the full potential of 2.0, it needs 1.5A so whatever charger your using, if it outputs 2A you're fine, the source is the one that controls the power drawn, so it will only draw 1.5A from the 2.0A so you'll be safe, and youll charge 75% quicker,
Qualcomm? Quick Charge | Qualcomm
from 240 mins to 96 mins, thats 4 and a half hours to an hour and a half....for a full charge!! on the fastest baddest phone in the world!

The charge you get from Samsung will most likely be 1.5a or 2.0a

If you look at the note 2 it came with this charger, model ECB-DU4EWE, and thats rated at 2A so this one should work with it too, im buying one and will test it with note 3 when I get it

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ETA-U...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3090328

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 so you you just won't see the faster charging thru the computer or faster transfer speeds, otherwise you will be fine.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The phone controls how much power it will pull. So if the phone will pull the full 2 amps of a wall charger that may be faster. It the phone is limited to 1.5amps though it will be the same regardless of weather it is a usb 3.0 on a computer or a wall charger since they would both be the same 1.5 amps.

Zogundar

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
So what's the advantage of using USB 3.0 as a charger? It just happens to charge your phone faster than USB 2.0 would if you already have it plugged in to move files?

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
USB 3.0 mode enables airplane mode, which IMO seems a little odd. Why do you have to disable one feature to enjoy another feature? It reminds me of those Ford commercials.... Sour chicken....

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Basically it will charge faster if you mainly charge attached to a computer. I believe there may be a little improvement from a wire transmission perspective. It wouldn't be significant. Allot of people charge when transferring content.

USB 3.0 may of been added more to deal with transferring 4 video. I really don't think power was a main driver because 2 amp charging has been around a while with micro usb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress